Life after Saints (other brakes)

LEON

I must have 4 of the last working M810 brakes, but they won't last forever so I'm preparing for life after Saint. Does anyone use Hope tech 3 trials? I had a go on Leo's bike and they felt great, plus given the size of the stuff he does they must be good. Anyone know if the Tech 3 lever gives any more power over the cheaper one or just adjustability?

I swapped my 810s for mono trials on my Console purely because the bike has IS mounts and I hate using brake adapters, plus the saints are pretty heavy. Using Jitsie pads on the rear for good on/off and standard pads on the front for better modulation. As far as Hopes go, the Tech 3 has better lever feel and adjustability but the power is about the same.

Have you looked into the Magura M7? The power is amazing and good lever feel. The only bad thing I can say about the M7 is the pad rock, but the Trialtech pads are supposed to fix this.

Cheers. Yeah I wondered if there was any difference in the power of the levers, I think I'd like all the adjustment anyway though. Are yours as powerful as the Saints?

I've had a quick go of the MT7 on a couple of rides, power is definitely there and I like the caliper, but I don't trust the lever. Magura levers have all been shit for a long time now. Matt at Radical bikes got a pair and the day he got them he had problems, something fell out of the lever and the blade was left flapping about. A couple of weeks on and Tom rode his bike and fell 2 feet onto grass and the lever blade snapped. A plastic lever's not good enough when they're £200 per brake and you can't buy spares. I know their blade is alloy but it's too thin and weak. I've smashed my saint lever blades countless times against walls, bent them countless times, and they always just bend right back.

So yeah, to me that's like a Saint but more expensive, less durable and just as unserviceable. I like Hope because you can buy any part no matter how small.

Edited by LEON

I think my next choice is going to be Hope just because of how the new m820 calipers seem to be lasting and can't bring myself to try out Magura's after the mixed reviews being given. I'll just have to keep up to the Hopes to keep them feeling good I guess. 

Personally I'm not really keen on the feel of the Tech 3 levers. They seem to pull back in a weird arc and never end up giving solid lever feedback. The point at which the pads hit the rotor always seems a bit 'woolly'. Lots of adjustment though...

MT7s lever feel seems a bit squidgy to me as well, and they generally seem a bit flimsy. The calipers do set up easily though and the brakes have good power, even with standard pads / rotors.

I'm still on Trial Zones with Race levers,Trialtech pads and Mono Trial rotors - never have to mess with them, good feel, good power, no pad click, and I know I can always get spares if needed.

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 5:57 PM, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Personally I'm not really keen on the feel of the Tech 3 levers. They seem to pull back in a weird arc and never end up giving solid lever feedback. The point at which the pads hit the rotor always seems a bit 'woolly'. Lots of adjustment though...

MT7s lever feel seems a bit squidgy to me as well, and they generally seem a bit flimsy. The calipers do set up easily though and the brakes have good power, even with standard pads / rotors.

I'm still on Trial Zones with Race levers,Trialtech pads and Mono Trial rotors - never have to mess with them, good feel, good power, no pad click, and I know I can always get spares if needed.

I can't really remember much about the ones I felt, but they were bloody powerful. Yeah I do like the MT7 caliper but I have no faith in the lever.

22 hours ago, Christiaan said:

2017 mt7's have Alu levers! Padrock is a bit worse than the saints though...

The whole lever body? How come? I thought Carbotecture was the man? But even if it is, it's still a £400 set of brakes that can't be serviced or repaired.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Christiaan said:

Sorry, I mean 2016... The leverbody is still carbotecture but the brakelever is Alu. 

Magura offers a 5 year warranty if i'm not mistaken, so no worries there. 

You can get a set for well under £300 w/o rotors. I've paid around £270 for mine. 

The warranty will be void if you hit it on something though, they'll just say it's crash damage. Only thing I can see them covering is seals.

Not only the seals but pretty close. I've  had a few successful claims with Magura DE for broken lever blades from trials use. Wasn't crash damage though. 

It's such a shame that the MT7 falls short of being an epic brake. Nothing which costs that much should have plastic in it, no matter how cool the material name. The price difference between MT5's and 7's is completely unjustified. It's pretty much the same brake but with different leverage?

people complain about them being plastic but I've only seen one broken lever body. I think the material is fine (people who think it flexes I think are mistaking the high mechanical leverage for any soft lever feeling, I think they compare with a Hope Mono trials with a long lever blade feel wise). Hopefully they'll listen to feed back from Danny and beef up the lever blade, they did make some CNC prototypes for us but they need to be refined....no idea if they'll end up on production brakes though.