Gym for trials

Brian Bleech

Most fitness trainers agree you get better results by switching up your routine like he says... Do 6 weeks of heavy weight low rep, then 6 weeks of plyo/oly oriented lifts, then 6 weeks of high rep low weight... With that said I don't know if doing plyometrics box jumps is a bad thing on front squat days.

Nico- I just rode for the first time after starting that 6 week strength program you posted, I'm starting week 3 now... Much more control on the bike, and more power - thanks for posting the workout.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ali C said:

True, but you don't want to just go to big weights and not have good form. I've seen some trials riders on Instagram show their lifts and their knees are moving side to side, not ideal. They do seem keen on crossfit though which I don't agree with.

My front squats are right down to 45kg but working on getting the technique as dialled as possible and going into as deep a squat as I can.....I'd like to build up the weight once I feel I've got everything perfect.

You're doing it right then. ATG on squats is very important. I always try to go as low as possible. Due to my short calf muscles this isn't very easy. I left out stretching a long long time. Now it takes even more time to undo the damage. 

IMG_20160215_084649.thumb.jpg.39c995d2c7IMG_20160215_084651.thumb.jpg.00f0d56480

34 minutes ago, Ali C said:

is that the tight calves stopping you? Cool to hear you're into full range, a few people don't seem to agree with it.

This. I cannot squat fully without lifting my heels.

ATG (Ass to Grass) is what I learned years ago in the States. There is a wide consensus on this.

13 hours ago, AndyT said:

I'm too scared to not be able to come back up with higher weight, no one at my gym to spot me :(

back from leg day, all PB every time I go to the gym these days...

You can always kill your legs in the leg press.

Inspired from @Ali C I made myself a plan including front squats as well. As I finished my 6 week routine, I was going to mix something up anyways. 

Even though I only did sets with 60kg of front squats, my muscles are still sore. As a comparison, I usually go up to 140kg on normal squats.

I am curious about Ali's improvements when it comes to trials. Bunnys are already off the roof. :)

Edited by niconj

That's cool you are giving them a shout, 60kg isn't bad! I was told it'll be good for me to do front squats as my shoulders are naturally rounded forwards from riding bikes and front squats forces you to keep a straighter back and to pull the shoulders back. Seems to be accurate. It also stretches the wrists which is great for me as I don't have a good range of motion in mine.

My issue has been a lack of energy, I've been unable to ride for more than 20 mins since last year. I've improved my diet and started climbing and going to the gym more and I've noticed a big improvement. I was out riding for nearly 4 hours last night and I felt like I was strong enough to rip my bars clean off. My hops felt really good too which has been something that's suffered a lot recently. 

I am not a gym person at all, I feel uncomfortable there but I enjoyed it yesterday and I'm keen to go back. I do really enjoy climbing though and I'd recommend that as a great way to cross train!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ali C said:

I am not a gym person at all

Still the best way to improve your riding. :) If you put on some muscles you'll be an even greater beast than you already are. Looking forward to some videos of you 5kg heavier.

I could do more than 60kg on the front but wanted, as you said, pay attention to correct form rather than weight.

What I really lack though is riding technique. Right now, I don't need any more strength to improve my riding; it doesn't hurt though.

Edited by niconj

1 hour ago, niconj said:

Still the best way to improve your riding. :) If you put on some muscles you'll be an even greater beast than you already are. Looking forward to some videos of you 5kg heavier.

I could do more than 60kg on the front but wanted, as you said, pay attention to correct form rather than weight.

What I really lack though is riding technique. Right now, I don't need any more strength to improve my riding; it doesn't hurt though.

Just no

• Like 4

yeah I agree, riding has always been the best way to get better at riding. I don't feel adding to my muscles will make me a better rider, 20 years of riding has kinda got them to where they need to be. The gym is to get me active, improve my range of motion and to get my muscles efficient and resistant to injury. Gaining muscle may happen but that's not the goal. 

1 hour ago, Ali C said:

Gaining muscle may happen but that's not the goal. 

Gaining muscle will get you to jump higher/farther. So yeah, this is a way of improving your riding, since you've got the perfect technique already. For me it's quite the contrary.

38 minutes ago, niconj said:

Gaining muscle will get you to jump higher/farther. So yeah, this is a way of improving your riding, since you've got the perfect technique already. For me it's quite the contrary.

Joining the thread late, but gaining muscle is a last resort in terms of going higher/farther. Unless you had your technique as dialled and efficient as it could possibly be then gaining muscle might be a way to increase it. There's definitely an ideal weight though, too much mass and you're weighing yourself down! 

14 hours ago, niconj said:

Damon? :D

Damon is someone who I would consider has a pretty dialled technique. He's in a position where the only way to get any higher is through more power. Whereas for the vast majority of people the time spend building 5kg of muscle would be far better spent on the bike trying to become more efficient in your riding. 

He is a beast though. 

2 hours ago, TrialsIsHard said:

Damon is someone who I would consider has a pretty dialled technique. He's in a position where the only way to get any higher is through more power. Whereas for the vast majority of people the time spend building 5kg of muscle would be far better spent on the bike trying to become more efficient in your riding. 

He is a beast though. 

That's what I was trying to say. I'd consider Ali's technique on the same level and my comment more muscles = better rider was only for Ali and not as a general statement.

yeah I'd agree with that, I wouldn't want to lose any flexibility or range of motion though.

Just had a call from one of the more respected trainers in Glasgow today about some form of sponsorship, if I go ahead with that I think I'll be in good hands.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ali C said:

yeah I'd agree with that, I wouldn't want to lose any flexibility or range of motion though.

Just had a call from one of the more respected trainers in Glasgow today about some form of sponsorship, if I go ahead with that I think I'll be in good hands.

Better than listening to someone on the forum who has been riding trials for only 2 1/2 years. :D