Morcambe riders/riding?

1a2bcio8

Although I've barely ridden in some time now - due to illness - there's a possibility I may be moving to Morcambe in the summer. I hope to be riding again by then and I was wondering if there are currently any riders there or nearby? Also what's the riding like there or, again, nearby? Furthermore, although a less appropriate question for this context, what's it like as a place?

I'm a bit concerned that if I move there that I might be riding all by my lonesome unable to access either other riders and/or decent riding spots? I don't drive so I'd need to use the trains to get anywhere else.

Thanks in advance...

You're not a million miles from Mark and Cap in Preston.
Matt and Slinger might come out to play periodically, too.

There are some that actually live in Morecambe, but I'm not too sure on their names.
Tom Rigg did, but I'm not sure how much he rides. I only rode with him once, and I was riding there for about two years.

The sea-front's really fun. Lots of manny-pads and streety bits. There's apparently some around the town too, but I never got that far :P

You'd be really, really into the sea front spots there!  Not super far from us down here either so I'm sure we could scoot up and say hi/you're welcome to scoot down and say hi if an opportunity crops up.

I don't really know what Morecambe itself is like.  Seems fine from driving through to the front although it's pretty Northern seaside town-y so you might find wind/rain a bit of an issue from time to time.

What draws you up there anyway?

hi there I am currently living in Morecambe the trials activity has dropped off over the last couple of years,

everyone I used to ride with has either got a Bmx or a car now but there are a couple who still ride when the sun comes out which is very rarely in Morecambe 1 day sunshine 3 days of rain as a basic ratio ha ha

there are some very good natural spots in Heysham village which is a 5 minuet ride away

the promenade is full of obstacles small medium and high for any experience level

rocks bins walls benches scattered around

the place itself is like any seaside town plenty of pubs nothing really for teenagers to do unless they skate or like bowling or trampolining

so as you would expect most become bored very easily and turn to a life of petty crime.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Sorry for the slow response. I'm dealing with long-term illness so don't use things like forums for extended periods sometimes. 

Thanks for the responses though. My gf and I decided not to go there based on a bit of research. There seems to be a lot of crime, unemployment, lack of culture, etc. that put us off somewhat. When I get better I don't want to be stuck claiming job seekers because I can't find a job. We were hoping to go there to get away from problematic housemates as we're both suffering from chronic illness and could do with a peaceful environment. It's located near the Lake District, which would have been awesome and also the flat we'd rent is owned by my female's brother so the cost would be good. However, whilst still holding some appeal, it's a risk for us if we didn't like it because it might be really difficult to move back to Bristol for multiple reasons and our current accommodation, despite a frustrating housemate, is pretty awesome.

It's a real same as It'd be good to be near by you again Mark and also Flipp, anyone new, etc. I suppose there's still a chance we could change our mind but it's looking unlikely. We'd be up in October if that happened though.

Thanks again chaps!

Ben

To be fair, I didn't think it'd be your sort of place but without knowing your reasoning for going there didn't want to outright say that :P  If you were able to drive around then I don't think it'd be quite so bad, but if you were reliant on trains I reckon you'd feel fairly isolated pretty quickly.  If you're interested in any form of culture then the NW isn't really the place to be either from my experience, especially somewhere like Morecambe.

Maybe worth scoping out Bristol for alternatives?  From memory it sounded like you might have some hurdles to overcome with prospective landlords but I'm sure there'd be some around.  Hope things work out for you either way though!