North Yorkshire

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Marcus Chapman said:

Yeh there is still a few of us in Northallerton/Darlington area.

I might have to hit you up for a ride in a couple of months when I've got my bike sorted. I'm originally from Northallerton and used to ride regularly there back in 2005ish.

• 4 months later...
18 minutes ago, Stampy said:

Do any of you guys still ride around Northallerton area? I’m just getting into trials and could do with some guys to ride with and help me learn 

There's a few guys around Darlington. I head up that way every so often from Leeds, but not at the moment obviously!

I'm not on social media but have a look for Chester Corney and Brad Johnston. Brad was keen as a bean just before lockdown. I don't think they come on here.
I'm sure there's more around that area too, but they're the only two I know for sure still actively riding.
Prattley comes and goes and Baxter's moved up Newcastle-way.

I'm out in Bentham so I'm not too far of a drive if there's a meetup. Another that's still very beginner but would love an opportunity to ride with some others. 

Best way to find out about potential sessions if I'm not on social media? I can PM a phone number. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/05/2020 at 6:25 PM, Stampy said:

Cheers guys. Just drop me a message if you fancy a meet up 

Do John Gill still sell trials bike parts? I remember buying a set of Onza Muscleman freewheel cranks from there in the early 2000s

On 04/06/2020 at 8:32 PM, Si said:

Do John Gill still sell trials bike parts? I remember buying a set of Onza Muscleman freewheel cranks from there in the early 2000s

I don’t know buddy. I was in there the other week. If not I’m sure they’ll be able to order you bits in 

• 2 weeks later...

Now that restrictions on travel have lifted quite a bit, anyone interested in organizing a weekend ride? I'm willing to drive a couple hours if there's a small group meeting at a location that still offers some beginner features. 

On 6/23/2020 at 11:45 AM, TomWood said:

Now that restrictions on travel have lifted quite a bit, anyone interested in organizing a weekend ride? I'm willing to drive a couple hours if there's a small group meeting at a location that still offers some beginner features. 

Morecambe prom would be your best bet in terms of riding pal. At the skill level you say you're at I'd park in the pay and display at The Battery and take in the fountains (right next door) then have a bod down to the midland and where I understand the eden project is gonna go. There is a spot at the lifeboat station (still heading eastwards), and a bunch of new stuff heading for bolton-le-sands but that is a fair trek and is prob of limited interest to you. Now might be the time to head for the train station through the cut through next to B&M and take in the skatepark if you feel so inclined.

Then I'd suggest you double back to the battery, grab a different water bottle/snack/whatever from the car and head west down the prom towards Heysham and take in the spots known as "second levels" and "the climbing wall" so named because of the council climbing wall affixed to the retaining wall keeping the grass at bay that flipp rode up then gapped off of to one of the thin ledges.

Session using the three thin ledges as one balance line 'til your eyes bleed, tek a drink & repeat... 

This spot is probably of most value to you as no one's gonna cry if you do slip to bashring.

But remember that tyres only is the objective on every object. Leaving scars down every ledge like you're a scooter kid will just ruin it for everyone else. 

EDIT: This old topic probably explains better, I laid it all out in grid references and it took fooking ages so I am not doing it again

Linkleton

Ciaran.

Edited by CC12345678910
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2020 at 3:29 PM, CC12345678910 said:

Morecambe prom would be your best bet in terms of riding pal. At the skill level you say you're at I'd park in the pay and display at The Battery and take in the fountains (right next door) then have a bod down to the midland and where I understand the eden project is gonna go. There is a spot at the lifeboat station (still heading eastwards), and a bunch of new stuff heading for bolton-le-sands but that is a fair trek and is prob of limited interest to you. Now might be the time to head for the train station through the cut through next to B&M and take in the skatepark if you feel so inclined.

Then I'd suggest you double back to the battery, grab a different water bottle/snack/whatever from the car and head west down the prom towards Heysham and take in the spots known as "second levels" and "the climbing wall" so named because of the council climbing wall affixed to the retaining wall keeping the grass at bay that flipp rode up then gapped off of to one of the thin ledges.

Session using the three thin ledges as one balance line 'til your eyes bleed, tek a drink & repeat... 

This spot is probably of most value to you as no one's gonna cry if you do slip to bashring.

But remember that tyres only is the objective on every object. Leaving scars down every ledge like you're a scooter kid will just ruin it for everyone else. 

EDIT: This old topic probably explains better, I laid it all out in grid references and it took fooking ages so I am not doing it again

Linkleton

Ciaran.

@CC12345678910 This was perfect. Thank you! I finally went riding there yesterday after a few busy weeks mixed with wet weather. It was 32C, so I only rode for a couple hours before the heat wore me out. So many awesome short lines for my ability level and so many more that I have my eyes on for once I improve. I found out that I'm far worse at skinnies than I thought I was, and that I really need to practice natural rocks more. 

Now I just need to find some people to ride with. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomWood said:

@CC12345678910 This was perfect. Thank you! I finally went riding there yesterday after a few busy weeks mixed with wet weather. It was 32C, so I only rode for a couple hours before the heat wore me out. So many awesome short lines for my ability level and so many more that I have my eyes on for once I improve. I found out that I'm far worse at skinnies than I thought I was, and that I really need to practice natural rocks more. 

Now I just need to find some people to ride with. 

The increasing struggle between life and leisure... Yup, recognise that one.

If you are not aware of the pump track in Ingleton that looks like it'd be fun for an hour of an evening. It looks tight but big enough in distance, but that was from a fleeting glimpse going past in the work van. With the 'rona it might even be locked up & verboten at the minute, I dunno.

Still, looks good on maps   54.1500438,-2.4726677,17

5f256dcf756c9_IngletonPumpTrack-GoogleMaps.thumb.png.bfbfd2b42242f242881c39c8defdd765.png

It actually opened back up again a few weeks ago and I've been a couple times. It's pretty well built in the sense that the berms are confidence inspiring and the rollers are easy to pump. They've put pretty big spaces between the track so there aren't any available options for transfers or ways to spice it up. I'm assuming that was intentional to keep it more family friendly. Safety for the kiddos is important. All the doubles are easy to clear. So there just isn't much to actually progress on other than one triple and manual practice. Good way to kill an hour at the end of a work day though. I should go back more often. My manuals definitely need work.