Foray into trials - crossover parts.

Bufort

Howdy, I've always been interested in trials but never gave it a go. Over the last 20 years I've ridden BMX park, dirt jumping, and racing, and also MTB jumping, 4X racing and singletrack/DH, so finally, here I am. I have too many bikes already so I just want to convert my most suitable bike for trials (street trials is the phrase here I think). I'm going to be using my Brooklyn machine Works Park bike (24" wheel), and I have dropped the gear to a 28x21=1.33 (for now), getting a longer stem (the 26" suspension corrected forks are really high already so only need a longer stem, no rise), and now finally need to think about brakes. It doesn't have rim brake mounts, so disc only, and my question is simple: What brake shall I use? Is the Hope Trial Zone much better than any other decent disc? Is the trials rotor worth it too? I have an old Hope Mini I can use, or a Shimano SLX, or an Avid Elixir CR. I know the rear is more important so I can always use one of these for the front anyway, but the rear is where I would like some advice please.

BMW trials.jpg

Edited by Bufort

7 minutes ago, Mr Damon Watson said:

dude, dont waste your time trying to make it a hybrid bike, just learn on that, but just do what you can, i would learn bunnyhops onto over and across gaps, then maybe if you get lighter gearing THEN cross over to the more specific trials moves, and at that point but a rear brake on.

I can already do that though, and it already has a rear brake, but it’s shit. So if im going to get a brake good enough for trials moves, is the Hope trial zone brake actually better than the rest, or will any decent brake do?

i think you could get away with using the hope mini if you get a 180mm trial zone rotor and some trials pads like trialtech or jitsie

im kinda interested what the geo of that frame / fork is 

your gear ratio seems about right to me fwiw

happy hopping

35 minutes ago, Sandbugg said:

i think you could get away with using the hope mini if you get a 180mm trial zone rotor and some trials pads like trialtech or jitsie

im kinda interested what the geo of that frame / fork is 

your gear ratio seems about right to me fwiw

happy hopping

So the trial rotors are good then?

The fork is 465mm axle to crown, but I might put the shorter 425mm version on. The fork is designed for 26” wheels so that also adds an extra inch of height. 

Any 4piston rear brake shimano, zee or saint, sram guide or magura mt5/7 would be parfekt. If mech brake is your thing i find avid bb7 are nice..a lower gearing would go a loooong way to make it more trialish...but most important ride it and have fun

20 hours ago, dk2 said:

Any 4piston rear brake shimano, zee or saint, sram guide or magura mt5/7 would be parfekt. If mech brake is your thing i find avid bb7 are nice..a lower gearing would go a loooong way to make it more trialish...but most important ride it and have fun

Really? Lower than 28x21? Thats approximately the equivalent of 18x15 on 26" wheels, which I thought was the standard.

22 hours ago, Sandbugg said:

the larger holes of the trials rotors provide more initial bite and larger diameter discs give more power

the 425 would be better as long as the head angle doesnt end up too steep

Yeh I'm aware of bigger discs benefits, I usually run 203's on my mountain bikes. I guess the bigger holes mean the pad sinks in more like with wavey discs. 

Thanks