Coming back after 17 years advice

DaveGT84

Hey guys. I rode trials for a number of years up until I was 17 then got a driving license and never touched the bike again. Well I’m 35 now and wanting to get back into it. Went and picked up a cheap onza bird as I always rode mods in the past. I simply can’t get on with it. I’ve read the geometry is completely different to the older bikes and I’m wondering if that’s why I’m struggling. I was expecting to take time to get the feel again but it’s so alien it’s unlike anything I’ve ridden before. I wonder would I be better looking for an old skool retro mod or is there anything on the market with less extreme geo and that rides more like the older bikes?

thanks in advance

Geo has changed a lot since them days! 

Whereabouts are you from? Maybe worth seeing if there are any riders local to you so you could meet up and have a go on a few different bikes to see what feels nice. 

Might end up on something completely different to what you used to ride! 

I’ve had a similar experience recently...

I wanted to get started on within trials, bought myself an Onza SKA and it felt completely alien to me.

Because of my MTB background I ended up getting a HEX and absolutely love it!!

Just a thought but perhaps you would feel more at home on a more street oriented bike with a less extreme geo..? 

• 5 months later...

Seems to be alot of riders doing the same thing at the moment. I too have gotten back into trials after about 16 years. Use to ride a mod, loved it. Now I've got myself a 26in Inpired Element as I'm more used to mtb size bikes. Took a couple of rides to get use to it but it just feels natural now. Wonder why I ever waited so long to get another trials bike 

• Like 1