Front Disc Brake Recommendations - MT5?

giantwhore

So I've tried BB7 with a 203 rotor in the past and am now using a SRAM X0 Trail up front which seems to be working ok but lacks real bite and hold. I'm after a disc brake that bites hard and holds with a bit of modulation.

Magura MT5's really caught my eye and have a friend who's using one with zero issues.....but i've seen some crappy feedback on the lever blade strength (including Ali C's recent retro bike 2 vid), plus Tarty seem to now have a disclaimer that they don't recommend them for trials use as they wear out/break pretty quick. The feedback on the power though is amazing, people seem to really rate them.

Hope's are a possibility but again varied feedback and mainly on the power side.

In short, are the MT5 levers as bad as they seem and if so what do people recommend as an alternative?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, giantwhore said:

So I've tried BB7 with a 203 rotor in the past and am now using a SRAM X0 Trail up front which seems to be working ok but lacks real bite and hold. I'm after a disc brake that bites hard and holds with a bit of modulation.

Magura MT5's really caught my eye and have a friend who's using one with zero issues.....but i've seen some crappy feedback on the lever blade strength (including Ali C's recent retro bike 2 vid), plus Tarty seem to now have a disclaimer that they don't recommend them for trials use as they wear out/break pretty quick. The feedback on the power though is amazing, people seem to really rate them.

Hope's are a possibility but again varied feedback and mainly on the power side.

In short, are the MT5 levers as bad as they seem and if so what do people recommend as an alternative?

Wondering this too. How were the BB7's? Bitey or not?

I've been running MT5s for nearly 10 years now with almost zero problems and no broken levers yet. For all the pluses and minuses, the MT5 is very hard to beat. I recently tried Hayes' new Dominion A4 and while the lever does feel wonderful, I had numerous problems with the 2 sets that I ordered. Both are currently back with Hayes for warranty work. Not impressed. A few days ago I converted to a 'Shigura' setup with Shimano XT master and MT5 caliper and the first 2 rides have been great. The Shimano lever is very nice, but it doesn't have the fast return rate of the MT5 lever and I think the MT5 has more power overall. At the end of the day, for off the shelf ease, I still call the MT5 best.

For the front on my new 26" I'm using an MT4 per Ali from his newer build and it has been perfect as well. Same master/lever as an MT5, but 2 piston and lighter.

The best mechanical disc for trials is the TRP Spyke, hands down. It's a double acting piston design and is built to very high standards. BB7/BB5s are just outdated but still get the job done just fine. Rever also makes a double acting mech disc, but I've had mixed results with them as they have a bit too much play. Overall I don't like the mechanical discs because ultimately it is your finger strength that determines the brake strength and they don't have the on/off speed of hydraulics. HOWEVER - for front brake use, they are usually just fine and oh so much easier to run it through the steerer.

Edited by Swoofty
clarity
  • Like 1

Trp was the worst disc brake I’ve ever tried. Four finger squeezing to the bar... pissant brake. Wasn’t the spike/ their road one on my gravel bike. put regular bb7 and 100x better instantly.

for trials - Avid bb7, only the  bbdb caliper (original- find on ebay for $28 or so, new is flexy trash... like most new things)/ odyssey linear slic cable /203 rotor/ jitsie/trialtech pads. My preferred... Never liked maguras. Loved shimanos first saint.

6 hours ago, AndyT said:

Trp was the worst disc brake I’ve ever tried. Four finger squeezing to the bar... pissant brake. Wasn’t the spike/ their road one on my gravel bike.

The Spyre and the Spyke are different animals. I had the Spyke front and rear on my Alias with 160 rotors and it was a beast. But like you said, good cable and housing counts for a lot with mech brakes too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Swoofty said:

The Spyre and the Spyke are different animals. I had the Spyke front and rear on my Alias with 160 rotors and it was a beast. But like you said, good cable and housing counts for a lot with mech brakes too.

are you riding right now?? From what I see it seems scary, venice doesnt seem hit as hard as k town or dtla though.. be safe !! 

9 hours ago, AndyT said:

are you riding right now?? From what I see it seems scary, venice doesnt seem hit as hard as k town or dtla though.. be safe !! 

All good. Been a great time for riding and working on the car ;-) I don't go to Venice much right now. No protesters on SaMo Beach. Tongva's a different story. I bet UCLA is great right now.

• Like 1