Rider height and wheel size

matt slegg

A friend of mine is wanting to get back into trials and ive been trying to convince him that a 24" bike would be better that 26" because he is only 5'8. He was looking at a 26" Echo Pure but I think a Gu 24 would be better.

Is there anything im missing in my recommendation. His priority is something small, light and easy to move around and hedoesnt want a 20". I think at his height the slightly smaller wheels might be better.

Thanks

If they're both the brand new ones there's not much in it but I would possibly suggest the GU. I'm 5'8" too and a friend has the Echo Mk6+ and with the standard bar and stem it feels a very big bike. It's important to note that I've been riding small bikes for a long time though.
If they're second hand, it all depends on the set up. A GU 24 with a long stem and big bars can feel longer than an Echo 26 with the front end reigned in.

24" is great but unfortunately this wheel size is not as popular in trials as it was 5-7 years ago. So tyres, rims, frames, forks choice for 24" is quite limited. As for the Gu, it feels very long with 1075 wheelbase and 73 head angle, longer than some 26" bikes.

I would suggest some short 26".

11 minutes ago, Target said:

24" is great but unfortunately this wheel size is not as popular in trials as it was 5-7 years ago. So tyres, rims, frames, forks choice for 24" is quite limited. As for the Gu, it feels very long with 1075 wheelbase and 73 head angle, longer than some 26" bikes.

I would suggest some short 26".

Any recommendations?