Crank compatibility for Hex

Matt24.

Hey - looking to purchase some 170 cranks for the hex. Currently has descendants on it however doesn’t look like I can get gxp versions of them anymore. Have been looking at 170mm saints and wanted to find out if I need 68-73 or 83 to fit with chain stays running a 4 bolt inspired bash and 22tooth chain ring. Ta

A 68/73 and classic 4 bolt ring will be be tight. I couldn't run a (3 ring style) Deore on mine, the ring hit the chain stay. 2 ring version of the Deore does just fit, but can't mount a bash on the outside. Switched to 83 mm Race Face cranks (well, "superboost" actually), which are fine.

Chain line is another thing to consider with this setup. On my industry nine rear hub, I have to run the cog all the way inboard for a straight chain, so if the crank were any closer to the chain stays, my chain line would be less than ideal. A Hope hub has a bit more space.

For old school Saints which have the classic 3 ring spacing, go 83.

Edited by Daan

It's worth bearing in mind which Hex everyone's talking about too. The older generations used to be pretty tight on clearance whereas the more recent ones (since they switched to tapered head tubes) have been better. That kind of double spider setup will get you less clearance than the new school integrated mount style setups, but as before it should be more workable than it was on the older frames.

2019 Hex here, the newer generation. A friend of mine with the same Hex made his triple 68/73 RF cranks work with some mods (spacing all the way to the drive side, cutting down the 22t ring tabs a bit); unmodified the ring hits the chain stay, as with my Deore, and likely also with the old Saints (they're all the same spec, old school triples, same chain line). I think Swoofty runs the newer XT double crank, which does fit, but you need to be creative with the bash ring. So for Saints, go 83 mm :)

• Like 1