What rim would you recommend for a 26" comp trial?

La Bourde

Hi,

recently I was regularly trying to true the rear wheel of my stock comp trial bike.

Unfortunately I noticed that the sidewalls are slightly bent at different spots. The wheel still holds, but I guess I will have to replace the rim soon.

What rim would you recommend?

My current rim is a Bonz Pro Light.

I am a light guy (around 65kg, 140lbs) and I am not so powerful. I will describe my level as intermediate (my landings are sometimes far from smooth!).

I think the Trialtech Carthy wheel is too strong/stiff for me. I am not obsessed by the weight of the components, but only if it makes sens.

Does this rim ride much better? Can I expect the wheel to be longer true?

I found the Hashtagg rim quite interesting. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate.

The Trialtech rim should stay true longer (assuming it's built properly, naturally!). I was there when the Trialtech rim was tested against a Jitsie (and I think a Hashtagg) rim for stiffness/rigidity and it was ridiculous how much difference there was. It is noticeable, and will be when you ride too. Appreciate you could buy a couple of Jitsie rims for the price of a Trialtech rim, but you will definitely be spending a lot more time with a spoke key in hand. The Trialtech rim will also have the performance advantage of being that much stiffer too. I remember reading a message from Gilles Coustellier when he first tried them saying he couldn't believe how much different his bike felt with them on.

That said, the Hashtagg rims do seem to be good. If you're not too bothered about the strength/stiffness side of things with the TT rim, the Hashtagg is the best alternative IMO.

In general though, I'd say for a rear rim, it's worth spending a bit more rather than just going for the cheaper options. That whole "Buy cheap, buy twice" thing really holds true for rims. They take a lot of stick, so it's worth investing in a better product to have a better experience.

• Like 2

I’ve had loads of 26 rims over the past 10 years or so …. Tryall , echo , onza , trialtech, atomz etc. 

Trialtech are probably  the strongest , and stiffest. Only slight downfall is that the sidewalls dent easier than most , however I think This has been sorted with the material of the newest iteration. I’ve done the biggest drop gaps I’ve ever done on these rims and they don’t really flat spot like others do. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...