NOS 2018 Inspired Hex Build

Brettoll

Bit of a score, managed to pick up a NOS 2018 Inspired Hex Frameset in sparkling orange last year. Been slowly acquiring the parts, and finding the time to build the thing - last night managed to make a start:

Hex1.thumb.jpeg.de322293bf1e63dd0a2c19ab4075c870.jpeg

ShinyHEX.thumb.jpeg.e07739cdb05db859e2e8d04f40410110.jpeg

Will have a rolling version of it at the weekend, but the spec coming is:

• 2018 HEX Frame and Fork, FSA Integrated Headset and XT Hollowtech II BB
  • SLX Cranks with Inspired integrated bash, DMR V12 Magnesium pedals
  • Hope PRO 4 Trials on Inspired rims, Holy Rollers
  • Trialtech 90*35 with Black logos w/ Arcade risers (Ti bolts)
  • Shimano Zee m640 with Uberbike pads
  • Inspired tripod w/ slim kevlar saddle

After hating disliking the Mark 1 Hex (and never feeling quite happy with how it rode), hoping this one will be a little more fun - especially being dual disc!

Updates to follow.

Brett

Edited by Brettoll
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

Hate is a strong word 😅 What didn't you like? The rim brake, 5mm longer stays or the colour?

OK OK, disliked 😆 - the stays and the rim brake for me... though still better than the mile long bikes of old. I couldn't seem to get the right set up around stem / bar to feel happy on it, and found that running a rear maggie on it in a time when the Fourplay in 2012 went dual disc was a shame.

Interesting to see if this newer one remedies my personal gripes.

Edited by Brettoll

• 2 weeks later...

I may be in the minority but I wish Inspired still adds a rear rim brake mount along with the rear disk mount for their frames. It should not add much weight; and rear rim brakes do not require the frame bracing to the extent necessary for a rear disk mount. Especially Inspired's 26 inch frames, they are the most trials oriented. Nowadays, there is barely any option for a street geometry with a rear rim mount unless you go old school. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get some time in the garage to throw it together a little more, still need to get the brakes bled and set up, chain / tensioner set up and shortern the rear hose a little. But the sparkly orange is a great colourway!

IMG_7547.thumb.jpeg.62a4d7ea9663825a21c733ab49250011.jpegIMG_7548.thumb.jpeg.61c5521bb385c1abb0db7ed4d9ef7080.jpegIMG_7549.thumb.jpeg.d5939b48c3cd5ba2731d86b9dcf7da42.jpeg

• Like 4

I had quite a similar built, same brakes, Hope hubs, alloy rims, SLX cranks.

The Zee brakes are good and not too expansive. With trickstuff power brake pads, they are amazing. Only problem I had was a wandering byte point.

I use also DT rims (FR560), not too expensive and really good manufactured.

There is a new model (fr541) with wider flange hook to prevent flats. Unfortunately, not available in 26"... Hope they will produce it for 26".

• Like 1

Thanks both! Yeah wanted to be relatively no-nonsense (there is a splash of Ti bolts across it mind). Zee's are a good mid level brake, decent power with the right pads, but not savage Saint power to fling me off.

Depending on how long this one stays with me - hopefully a while - I might upgrade to some Hope brakes eventually as they are my preferred. But for starting out, as long as the Zee's stop me on an edge I am good! Few more bits then will get out and ride - just hope this global warming created late summer lasts a little more to enjoy some dry riding..

Edited by Brettoll
  • Haha 1

On 10/10/2023 at 9:32 AM, Brettoll said:

Thanks both! Yeah wanted to be relatively no-nonsense (there is a splash of Ti bolts across it mind). Zee's are a good mid level brake, decent power with the right pads, but not savage Saint power to fling me off.

Depending on how long this one stays with me - hopefully a while - I might upgrade to some Hope brakes eventually as they are my preferred. But for starting out, as long as the Zee's stop me on an edge I am good! Few more bits then will get out and ride - just hope this global warming created late summer lasts a little more to enjoy some dry riding..

I loved running zee’s for quite a while. Currently I’m now on Hayes dominions and there amazing. If you want to upgrade from zee’s you should definitely invest in pair. I had hope tech 4s also as a backup. But I couldn’t believe how great these Hayes brakes were the lever feel is incredible 👌🏻

Loving the build dude 👍🏻

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John Shrewsbury said:

I loved running zee’s for quite a while. Currently I’m now on Hayes dominions and there amazing. If you want to upgrade from zee’s you should definitely invest in pair. I had hope tech 4s also as a backup. But I couldn’t believe how great these Hayes brakes were the lever feel is incredible 👌🏻

Loving the build dude 👍🏻

Thank you sir! Nice to hear more love on the Hayes brakes as another option, especially as Hope Techs are wallet denters.

• 5 months later...