Spoke/nipple compatibility query?

isitafox

Just set off building a wheel for one of my lads for xmas and run into a possible issue. 

Rim is a DT Swiss EX511 which has come with concave washers and their own 2.0 15mm nipples, spokes are 14g Sapim from Tarty and they thread ok but get tight very quickly. 

I've only just threaded them lightly by hand but I'm not happy with how they're binding, I assumed they'd work fine but could the thread pitch/diameter be slightly different? 

Will I be ok to use the Sapim nipples with the washers that came with the rim? 

Can’t comment directly about your case but I also had a wheel with a similar issue recently.

I was fixing a wheel with a snapped hub flange, got a new hub and spokes and had planned on reusing the alloy nipples…weirdly they would thread in by hand the first few turns but just bind up after that…I tried forcing one but it actually snapped the spoke!

I wasn’t aware spoke threads came in different pitches but that’s the only explanation I can think of.

So yeah, best avoid forcing things, using the sapim nipples would be best but I can’t advise it that work with your rim or not (if it was my wheel I’d try it but its a tricky one when it’s someone else’s).

They should all have the same thread. Maybe it's the locking compound in the nipples? At least I assume they are the squorx pro nipples. They won't really tighten by hand.

You can also use Sapim Polyax nipples with those washers, they have the same shape as the DT pro nipples.

How quickly do they get tight? 1 thread? 5 threads?

Are they the fancy nipples with inbuilt threadlock?

I've used the exact same combo myself with no issues, but could be worth potentially sacrificing one of each as a tester - just stick some lube on and wind the f**k out of it, see what happens.

I recently built wheels for Persephone's new hup enduro build using DT swiss prolock nipples without any issues, using the torx socket driver is super nice for building wheels with them. I was using DT swiss spokes though so it might have a bearing, never had any issues with compatibility before.