New Retro Spare Parts Build Haro Sloride 24

Swoofty

For all of you out there who like long chainstays and 24" wheels, boy have I got something for you! It's got V brakes (native!). It's got 112mm rear spacing!?! It's got an Echo TR IS brake caliper, rotor and hub! It's also sporting an Onza Zoot Pro fork. And the frame is aluminium!

I'd been cleaning/organizing my garage lately and realized I had quite a few spare/old parts that I could build a Frankenstein 24" bike from. The one part i didn't have was a frame. I'm pretty familiar with 98% of all 24" frames from the past 16 years or so, but I wanted something a little different; and cheap. The 24" BMX scene is a ghost town since the big wheeled wheelie bikes came out (kinda always has been tiny really). Southern California was one of the birthplaces of BMX so without looking too far, you can find a lot of old bikes, even 24"s. After some searching, I kinda decided I wanted a Wethepeople Avenger 24 frame. The problem was that no one seemed to want to give one up for cheap (< $150).  Then, I found it. A brand new, half price cruiser frame; and it's even purple <3!

Finally got the rough draft assembled last night and it's close. Sadly I crashed on my shoulder earlier this week so I can't really ride it yet, but the initial driveway spin was promising.  

PXL_20240225_173709357.jpg

PXL_20240225_174346087.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20240225_174401640.PORTRAIT.jpg

From the website, I knew the bike had a Mid BB and those come in 19mm, 22mm or 24mm. I have quite a few old Echo ISIS axles lying around and some old ISIS cranks too, so 22mm was the call. The BB is 74mm and I didn't bother to try and take up the extra 2mm between the stops on the axle so I just have to mount the cranks evenly so it doesn't knock back and forth. I have some pretty nice BB mounting tools, but putting those Mid bearings in with an axle sticking out was royal pain. That alone pretty much guarantees this will remain an ISIS bike. The first cranks to go on were an old Onza zoot drive arm (18t screw on) and an Echo non drive arm. That combo, with a 13t in the rear, sadly didn't leave enough chainstay clearance, but it provided a nice chainstay length for the sliding dropouts. Luckily I had some old FSA ISIS double cranks so I tried 22x16, but that combo was way too long. Next up was 24x17 and it was just right. Just need better chain tugs now.

PXL_20240229_162957206.PORTRAIT.jpg

Once the frame arrived, I measured the dropouts and just as I feared, it was 110mm (111mm actually). This meant that my spare 135 hub wasn't gonna fit and my 32h spare rim was going to be fairly useless as the vast majority of 110 hubs are 36h. I found basically one 32h 110 hub from Black Ops, but when I called them, they couldn't tell me the POE of the hub sadly. The Black Ops was going to be $135 too so I decided to have a look at the new mod freehubs to see if any of those would fit. I was thrilled to discover that the Comas freehub is 112mm and has an HG cassette carrier. The Comas was $186 which kinda sucks for a spare parts build since the frame was only $158, but since I really want this to be a mostly legit street trials bike, I figured having a real trials capable freehub was probably the right choice. The Comas is a 12mm through axle so I had a custom stepdown axle made that would take 10mm nuts with chaintugs. 

My shoulder is still buggin me, but the gentle rides I've done feel pretty promising. I took the geo off it tonight and it comes out to 1003 wheelbase, 388 chainstay and +7 BB (give or take). So stay tuned to see how this Haro Sloride 24" gets along with some street trials.

PXL_20240304_012446928.jpg

PXL_20240229_162408858.jpg

• Like 4

• Swoofty changed the title to New Retro Spare Parts Build Haro Sloride 24
  • 2 weeks later...

More changes... the Zoot fork that I was running was given to me because it was likely cracked. After sanding around the weld, it's definitely cracked 😞 On to spare fork number two; a Jitsie alu fork. Not crazy about the Jitsie fork, but it matches this build fair enough. This will never be a hardcore street bike so the Jitsie will be fine. The new fork is post mount so I had to lose the Echo brake and swap down to a bargain basement Zoom disc that performs surprisingly well for $30. I didn't bother with an adapter either so it's 160mm up front now. The rear V mounts are so narrow I'm not sure I could get larger tires to fit, but the 2.0 tires I have now are not very confidence inspiring. Still waiting for a proper ride beyond the driveway.

PXL_20240314_020330244.MP.jpg