Which budget MTB hubs to rival Hope?

aener

So I'm fed up of switching my wheel between my Cannibal and 456, and want one for each bike. (Sounds a short task, but each time it's add/remove rotor, switch sprocket for "cassette", change tyre and then remount, and my hanger is an "axle holds it on" type, so it's something of a faff.) It might also be nice bonus to have the full cassette range, rather than just the 6 block.

Operating on ultra budget because van just died and the usual shit-show that is modern life.

I like technical climbs so whilst I'm not fussy over having loads of engagements, I do want enough. Set the lower threshold at 72, or something like that.

Hope wheels tend to be expensive, but because I only really ever rode trials I've no idea which MTB brand hubs are any good. Shimano hubs come up a lot, but then own-brand stuff like Yeti etc.
I'm looking for 26" and 135x10. The frame can take a 27.5 so would be open to that, but it's a cost thing as then I'd also need a tyre.

I can just imagine some of them are pretty decent and overlooked (like people opting for MT7s over BB5s or Crank Bro's over RockBro), but also some of them genuinely being shit.

Nearly 18 years in this game and I'm still a f**king n00b :lol:

Hi,

Cheap with 72 poe... My answer would have been Hope. It is quite a lot for MTB...

Yohan Triboulat rides a Spank Hex hub and he seems happy with, more than with Hope. The hub is slightly less expensive than the UK made one.

Why not an old pro 2 evo? It has 40 poe but with 4 pawls engaging simultaneously. So you could shorten two like Tarty did?

But you know already the trick I guess.

😁

Happy with Superstar V6, not sure if you can get them new anymore but I counted 57p.o.e and have been reliable enough for me to ride trials on them for about a year now I think. Did snap an end cap somehow but 6 pawls is pretty reliable, havent skipped on me. They had them cheaper than hope at some point and 135x9mm

I've got a Koozer 72 engagement hub on my Polygon slopestyle bike (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000623760672.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.66.1c641802ZL19SC) and a Hassns 6 pawl 120 engagement hub on my Birdy foldy (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005265013002.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.16.1c641802ZL19SC). I've been pleasantly surprised by both and would be happy to get another for the kids bikes etc. Worth a look if you fancy a punt.

• Thanks 1