Bmx Helmets

John Shrewsbury

• 9 months later...

they have taken the bucky lasek helmets out of a lot of shops because they were found to be unsafe by a tv program called short change.

they are supposed to have 3 times less impact resistance than other helmets but i think some shops still sell the if you want one!

loads of bmx places do protec's, but unfortunately they are all shite now with big moulded polystyrene inners now. You may still get a white buck lasek one with red straps and soft duel density foam inside but they are rare now.

Alans got 60 in before christmas and tey were sold in a week because it was on their site, so people went crazy and bought a couple each etc.

I have a newish one in my house that i don't even use. I'm waiting until my other helmet's foam runs out.

john

they have taken the bucky lasek helmets out of a lot of shops because they were found to be unsafe by a tv program called short change.

they are supposed to have 3 times less impact resistance than other helmets but i think some shops still sell the if you want one!

Really I was going to order a Protec classic helmet this week and this has put me off buying one. Is it just the Lasek models? Or all protec helmets which are dodgy?

Mike

loads of bmx places do protec's, but unfortunately they are all shite now with big moulded polystyrene inners now. You may still get a white buck lasek one with red straps and soft duel density foam inside but they are rare now.

Alans got 60 in before christmas and tey were sold in a week because it was on their site, so people went crazy and bought a couple each etc.

I have a newish one in my house that i don't even use. I'm waiting until my other helmet's foam runs out.

john

they have changed the insides of the helmet? thats so annoying, protec were one of the only piss pots that didnt look stupidly big on your head. Is the padding larger now then? with larger shells?

they have changed the insides of the helmet? thats so annoying, protec were one of the only piss pots that didnt look stupidly big on your head.  Is the padding larger now then? with larger shells?

tell me about it.

yeah they are biger now.

you can still get other helmets however..... california pro sell lids with foam, and capix do, as do visor, although you'll have look on the web and get it from usa. gary young and ryan sher have signature visor lids and they are spot on.

john

I was considering a BMX type helmet too, I was wondering if any of the ones on CRC's website have the better lining you mention John.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3798

Before I picked up the phone I spotted this favourite of trials riders ^ I prefer the look of helmets with visors, although am I right in saying that the BMX helmets are good for more than one crash, so better value for money?

I have a giro semi mx and have hit it quite a lot (had it nearly two years, scary :( ) But in trials I would imagine our crashes are on a much smaller scale to even XC where you could be travelling at 30mph and tuble a right old with with a bike beating you at the same time.

You will in theory get more use of a bmx style helmet being hard plastic etc but any falls (even the tooth breaker) have only put the smallest of dents in my helmet. I would imagine it would still definately protect me for all I will need it for.

I find the giro nice and light compared to my 661 carbon pisspot i have for the bmx but it may just be the feel of it..

Wasunt there sumthing on the news saying the bucky lasic's arnt beng sold any more as they dont pass saftey laws ? Go for a TSG if you want one like that any bike shop does them really .

Sam

Edited by samthebiker