Bmx Questions

BONGO

Don't let the way you do stuff in trials put you off what you do on your BMX. The vast majority naturally sidehop to their good foot side, but apparently it's "Better" to sidehop to your bad foot side. No-one's really got any valid point for why that might be, but there we go - regardless, just grind on the right if it feels good.

Double page spread in Dig :)

I try to grind both sides as much as possible - it adds variety cos I can't really do any tricks and I'm too pussy to go high.

I find opposite smiths are easier to hold than opposite feebles and double peggers - they're harder to get into maybe but you can't cheat with your pedals on smiths so you don't miss them when going opposite.

maybe try them switch footed as well - I cant hop into a grind as comfortably switch footed but it's easier to cheat with your pedals that way so you can hold the grind better.

im torn between leaving the pegs off (mmm light) and putting them all back on (mmm grinding). I tried running two but it frustrates me and you can't slip out of rail feebles into crookeds and pretend you meant to do it with only one up front

How do you hop out of smiths? I'm sick of eating concrete cos i can't hop out of them :( immmposible for me.

use beef

erm,

I had to ask eskimo how to get out of smith stalls without looking like a twat (nollie (Y) ) but with grinds you just yank the front end up, hop away from the box/rail/ledge and hope.

You need to keep your weight back through the grind or you lose too much speed to get away with it and you have to resort to more technical means (close eyes, drop off sideways and hope nothing gets hung up)

I try to grind both sides as much as possible - it adds variety cos I can't really do any tricks and I'm too pussy to go high.

I find opposite smiths are easier to hold than opposite feebles and double peggers - they're harder to get into maybe but you can't cheat with your pedals on smiths so you don't miss them when going opposite.

maybe try them switch footed as well - I cant hop into a grind as comfortably switch footed but it's easier to cheat with your pedals that way so you can hold the grind better.

im torn between leaving the pegs off (mmm light) and putting them all back on (mmm grinding). I tried running two but it frustrates me and you can't slip out of rail feebles into crookeds and pretend you meant to do it with only one up front

Go for two, it's what i've done now, I just hope i don't rag the sidewalls on my tyres from grinding, soon find out.

I've been watching too many videos of e-man and edwin delarosa, actually made me think of having a 4 peg, comfy seat, 24" bar set up, so i'm currently building up the fit frame street style, see how it goes.

Edit Ohhh yeah, Mark you wouldnt happen to know anything about the Proper Miller frame would you, just with being involved with pijin n that, 'cause i wanted to know a bit more about it?

Edited by huck_it

Go for two, it's what i've done now, I just hope i don't rag the sidewalls on my tyres from grinding, soon find out.

i get frustrated with only two, i get all excited grinding stuff then want to do it all the other way and get in a huff. Also the bike feels all funny and off balanced

don't worry about your tyres, if they break just buy proper ones

How do you hop out of smiths? I'm sick of eating concrete cos i can't hop out of them :( immmposible for me.

Again, nollie, it will feel alot nicer as well. But on a sub box out of a quater that could end in tears. So it is just a case of fully wanging yourself out.

Pegs wise, i would never go back to 2. Yeah it's lighter but the bike is soo much more balanced. This includes airs and spins, on the floor even.

The Odyssey pedals look alot better there than they do on the website. Along with the Primo skinny ones i don't like the look of them compared to the older ones. Yeah they're lighter but i'd rather have a nicer feel. I just ordered some mag, sealed JC pedals for £54.99. I'm not really a pedal grinder so it should be okay for a year or so.

woop, driver bearings collapsed on my macneil hub...makes a beautiful noise now and engages occasionally when it feels like it

where the hell does spares? cant seem to find them anywhere :( just need it half fixed until i can have my new back wheel

ooo and bars...what do people suggest, i have s'n'm pro races right now and they feel good, got them cut down a few inches but im kinda getting harder on my bike now and i would like something a tadge stronger (these creak like mad now)-any suggestions? i could go down the slam route i guess (same geo), anybody got a good bar to compete with a slam?

woop, driver bearings collapsed on my macneil hub...makes a beautiful noise now and engages occasionally when it feels like it

where the hell does spares? cant seem to find them anywhere :( just need it half fixed until i can have my new back wheel

ooo and bars...what do people suggest, i have s'n'm pro races right now and they feel good, got them cut down a few inches but im kinda getting harder on my bike now and i would like something a tadge stronger (these creak like mad now)-any suggestions? i could go down the slam route i guess (same geo), anybody got a good bar to compete with a slam?

I'd ring Custom Riders or if that fails go to Winstanleys.

As for bars i'm running Alliance Large in thick tubing. 2.3lbs of weight, 26" wide, 7.75" rise, 8 degree backsweep. Best bars i've ridden yet if not a tad heavy but i did choose thicker tubing. At £30 they're a steal. Not being a fan of backsweep that adds to their niceness.

My mates Macneil xtl silencers are holding up so far as he cracked/snapped his Berringer Lts. They're enough bars on offer at Custom Riders so check them out. That's where i got mine from.

[edit]

How 'bout these? I considered them but like i said, backsweep.

Edited by eskimo

Eurghh, ran two pegs for a bit, i hate it, and realised why i stopped running them in the first place. Back to the floaty freecoaster shit lol.

While im here, anyone got any tips for pulling look back 180s from flat, well about a 1.5" slab for a kicker. I spin to the left, and in lookbacks turn the bars to the right, so it all works out. Just i can never seem to get it clicked enough, the bars end up about 90 degrees, instead of 180 or over. I can do them upisde down style to get use to leg movement n stuff, but when it comes to doing them proper (even without the 180, although that seems to make it harder 'cause the 180 makes me kick the back out more) i can never seem to get them clicked enough, same with turndowns and inverts.

Cheers.

thanks for the help eskimo but i'm looking at 8inch rise bars, i like a really high front end :) id quite like something with similar sweep to azonic dws (but bmx height) that feels perfect...

noticed the slam xlts are butted slams, anybody got much experience with them? looks like they are a better option than my current pro races (just thin tubed rather than butted), id quite like to retain a lightish bike (mine stands at 27lbs which feels about right)

also im gonna change stem, thinking the superstar one looks ideal?

Tadar

Probably found them already <_<

To be honest if you don't go silly with a stem (elementary) then they're all the same.

i already know where to get slams? i was asking about the xlts as i didn't want anything as brutal as normal slams, just wanted to know if they were better than pro races (my current bars)

:P

elementaries are cool - and they're cheap and light

i already have 1, just not keen on it looks wise, its getting a bit scruffy and old

Yeah i guessed so :P

But as it goes Macneil bars aren't warranties but Slam's are. Macneil bars are lighter, much lighter. Macneil bars are now 13 butted compared to your thin tubing Pro Race.

Elementary's do have a tendency to crack and/or snap.

They crack and snap in different areas. My mate snapped the lower clamping part, partly because of installation issues i'm guessing. And another mate has a crack going through the Odyssey stamp at the top. It's now grown to just over a inch long. They can't be too good if i know 2 people who have problems. Well another 2 people have their's creak real bad. But yeah they do need to be installed properly so i don't know the true facts ideally. But it's like khe tyres, if you run the right pressure you shouldn't get problems...

Yeah, i haven't heard of any problems of the xlt slams. I know they're not much lighter though.

I swear by my MacNeil Xlt silencers now, seriously have been hit and bashed so many times, but still perfectly straight, no creaking or dodgy stuff going down with them either.

Managed to send my bike into a curb bar first the other day as well, at full whack. Went to hop a big rock, but was looking at something behind it at the time, so i ended up pulling up for the hop too late, clipping the back and getting shot over the bars, and off the bike went handlebar first into a curb, and hit it just a little after the bend, towards where the holes start.

Hit a few brick walls with them as well, then plus the usually bmx bails from doing bar spins and not catching and stuff.

So yeah i love mine :)