Chosen Your A-levels?

nb88

Im really having trouble deciding between physics and biology now.... anyone had experiences with these?

My maths tutor i had for my GCSEs said that physics is very hard at A2 level if you dont take maths aswell, as they link together. I got an A in maths GCSE but im not keen at all in taking it as an A level, so im not sure if i should take physics? But i prefered physics to biology at GCSE level... (although got B's in both)..

take physics mate n make sure u stick with your maths. i know loads of people that did biology n hated it.

just if your prepared to work then u will do well in physics n maths (Y)

just make sure u keep on top of all your work n keep refreshing ureself with previous work n when it comes to exam time u will be successful

take physics mate n make sure u stick with your maths. i know loads of people that did biology n hated it.

just if your prepared to work then u will do well in physics n maths (Y)

just make sure u keep on top of all your work n keep refreshing ureself with previous work n when it comes to exam time u will be successful

I really want to get rid of maths though, as im not great at it and thats why i had a tutor. I just wanna know if maths is really needed in order to do physics a-level? I really liked physics GCSE but apparently the a-level courses are much different and involve much more maths.

If you do Maths and Physics any Maths you do in Physics is so simple that it's a piece of piss.

Physics will involve logarithms and perhaps integration and differentiation (all quite tricky to get the hang of), which are all covered in Maths in much more detail than you'll ever need in Physics.

I know lots of people who did Physics without doing Maths but they compliment each other quite well. Basically Maths makes physics easier but isn't essential.

I really want to get rid of maths though, as im not great at it and thats why i had a tutor. I just wanna know if maths is really needed in order to do physics a-level? I really liked physics GCSE but apparently the a-level courses are much different and involve much more maths.

dont worry mate i had a tutor in year 11 for maths n i got an A as well. This year i didnt work as hard as i could of done on my maths due to lack of motivation at the end of the year but here are my module results

Stats: 84/100

Mechanics: 94/100

Pure: 60/100

Total: 238/300, 240/300 is an A grade (Y)

My physics made me get 94% in mech but i didnt work hard enough on the Pure. I wish i had now because its another resit to do now. Just work hard at your Pure and u will find it really rewarding when u start to get everything right when it jst clicks and becomes easy.

And it depends on what u want to do at uni, not doing maths will limit you a lot, im going to be applying to do mechanical engineering and i have to have maths at an A grade to get in so think carefully before u think or not taking it ahead of biology.

If you are good at physics, do it. If you understand it, it's the easiest piece of piss A-Level ever. But if you're not great at it, and you don't understand what's going on, then you'll fail miserably, however hard you try.

Biology on the other hand is pretty easy, but you need to put in the hours. Nothing more to it than that really.

This is going to be my second (and last :) )year of my A-levels.

I originally took;

Maths

Physics

ICT

Product Design

However, even though I got a B in my GCSE maths, I failed miserably in every single one of my AS maths tests. So I am no longer doing that! I knew I would though, because I'd run out of enthausiasm for it, especially after the tutors not letting me drop it because I "was nearly at the end of the work" :D Was I bollocks, we still had like three-quarters of a year to go!

Anyways, this year I am taking;

Physics

ICT

Product Design

• 5 months later...

Maths

Physics

Chemistry

Economics

Took a while for me to decide but got them now. I'll probably drop maths when I fail miserably :)

I've got a friend going for 5 AS including Higher Maths :P

I reckon he'll drop one straight away though :blink:

Maths. (Already got A* at GCSE, and have already started the A-level course)

Computing. (Sounds really fun, + i spend most of my time on computers anyway, and is loads better than ICT!)

Photography. (Really enjoy it, and am thinking of doing it at Uni)

French. (Did most end of year exams at 100%, all examination based, should be easy)

Sorry if i come across as big headed? :blink:

Either way, i'm looking forward to 6th form, should be fun. New school, new people. :P

Mike.

P.s. Mega bump to the guy up there! :P

Maths. (Already got A* at GCSE, and have already started the A-level course)

Computing. (Sounds really fun, + i spend most of my time on computers anyway, and is loads better than ICT!)

Photography. (Really enjoy it, and am thinking of doing it at Uni)

French. (Did most end of year exams at 100%, all examination based, should be easy)

Sorry if i come across as big headed? :blink:

Either way, i'm looking forward to 6th form, should be fun. New school, new people. :P

Mike.

P.s. Mega bump to the guy up there! :P

Maths is different. GCSE is sorta of possibly usable. But Integration is an absolute pile of shit. Then you learn how to do it the other way. Which is Fannyation or something useless. We didn't get to do Mechanics the only thing I wanted to do which was f**king excellent.