What Size Of Cranks?

aaroncosbey

Its personal preference, i run 170's, you can get some good power!

Thats on a 1.5gear ratio.

Whatever you get you'll soon get used to it. It also depends on weather you do pedal gaps, or more street type stuff.

Edited by JT!

It's all a trade off, a shorter crank arm will accelerate faster, but a longer one will give you more leverage, the other factor is your height, you can damage your knees by using cranks of the wrong length. Best idea is to experiment and see what suits. :S

It's all a trade off, a shorter crank arm will accelerate faster, but a longer one will give you more leverage, the other factor is your height, you can damage your knees by using cranks of the wrong length. Best idea is to experiment and see what suits. :P

I woudn't say you could damage your knees...

But the rest is right, crank length does affect your gearing.

Short Cranks

You move your leggs less to get the same movement

Make you gearing feel higher.

Should be better for pedal gaps

less leverage.

Longer cranks

You have to move your leggs more, to get the same movement.

Makes you gearing feel lower

Better for static gapping

More leverage.

As for other moves i arnt too sure, Doing stuff like 180's/360's i would prefer shorter cranks...i think :S

If your a natural rider, shorter cranks are usualy preferd. As less power moves are needed, and more movement, in a short space is required. And i would think you would get better balance with shorter cranks.

In saying that, I heard that ben slinger uses 175mm cranks. This could be because when riding natural, cranks are used to hook over rocks etc.

:P

If you could get realy long cranks, you could put it stright down, it would be like a click stand. How good would that be for comps! Haha.

:S

Edited by JT!

Thanks for the info guys...... i ordered a set of 170mm echo cranks from trials-uk.

It would probally make more sence for me to run a longer crank arm for better leverage and high gearing to get the 3meter static gaps!!! (Y)

+ it's what i'm used to!

cheers

I didnt notice any difference on my mod when using 165mm cranks but Ive had to go back to 158mm cranks becasue of the bike only letting me run a particular setup.

How'd you mean? Is the BB not long enough so the 7mm extra clips the stays or something?