Creating An Outer Thread On A Lathe

David

Hey for part of a school project I have created a crank extractor (well nearly). Now I have done my research and I know creating the outer thread on the tool which turns into the crank is going to be quite difficult as it is too large to be tapped using a die. The thread needs to be cut on a lathe but my teacher said its a bit complicated for GCSE hehe. :S" Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this?? I can get the measurements of the thread (pitch etc).

Thanks for any help at all,

Dave

My exerperience is that you clamp the die in the die stock then turn the clamp of the lathe by hand. Forward one turn, back half a turn. But if you cannot find a big enough die then you are a bit stuck. As far as I know there is no tool apart from a die which can cut a male thread.

My exerperience is that you clamp the die in the die stock then turn the clamp of the lathe by hand.  Forward one turn, back half a turn.  But if you cannot find a big enough die then you are a bit stuck.  As far as I know there is no tool apart from a die which can cut a male thread.

Thats the problem I dont think theres a big enough die....Errm the diameter is 20mm off the top of my head but I could well be very wrong!

Screwcutting :S

Go away and read about it, its not overly difficult if you're confident with the lathe (and you must be by now if youve got it mostly finished). 2 things to note about it:

1. Take your time over setup, getting the tool at centre height and square to the work, checking the changewheels/QC gearbox are set right, check the work is running true.

2. Take your time when your cutting, small cuts avoid the tool springing, and avoid the work ending up in the scrap bin.

Yeah, your teacher is right, it isnt standard GCSE stuff, but if you can do it, it should impress the examiner :P

Edd :P

Screwcutting :S

Go away and read about it, its not overly difficult if you're confident with the lathe (and you must be by now if youve got it mostly finished). 2 things to note about it:

1. Take your time over setup, getting the tool at centre height and square to the work, checking the changewheels/QC gearbox are set right, check the work is running true.

2. Take your time when your cutting, small cuts avoid the tool springing, and avoid the work ending up in the scrap bin.

Yeah, your teacher is right, it isnt standard GCSE stuff, but if you can do it, it should impress the examiner :P

Edd :P

Cheers, Ill look into it!

Hey for part of a school project I have created a crank extractor (well nearly). Now I have done my research and I know creating the outer thread on the tool which turns into the crank is going to be quite difficult as it is too large to be tapped using a die. The thread needs to be cut on a lathe but my teacher said its a bit complicated for GCSE hehe. B)" Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this?? I can get the measurements of the thread (pitch etc).

Thanks for any help at all,

Dave

Mate what the hell is your teacher on about?? I'm doing engineering at GCSE and we have been taught how to do this a little while ago. I'll see if I can find the handbooklet for you, I think around here some where!!

I can't quite remember how to do it but....

My exerperience is that you clamp the die in the die stock then turn the clamp of the lathe by hand.  Forward one turn, back half a turn.  But if you cannot find a big enough die then you are a bit stuck.  As far as I know there is no tool apart from a die which can cut a male thread.

This sounds correct. I think but I will try to find that booklet.

Hope this helps.

Marc >_<

Mate what the hell is your teacher on about?? I'm doing engineering at GCSE and we have been taught how to do this a little while ago. I'll see if I can find the handbooklet for you, I think around here some where!!

I can't quite remember how to do it but....

This sounds correct. I think but I will try to find that booklet.

Hope this helps.

Marc  >_<

I dont think youve understood what im saying. I know how to tap threads using tap and dies etc thats easy. I am talking about cutting a thread using a lathe!

I dont think youve understood what im saying. I know how to tap threads using tap and dies etc thats easy. I am talking about cutting a thread using a lathe!

I didn't find that booklet, but I think I know what your on about,

Add me to msn, it will be easlier.

Marc_powell89@hotmail.com

Cheers

Marc >_<

Cutting threads on lathes is dead easier, in fact much easier then by hand. What i do is just put the lathe on a slow speed, and let it feed itself in from the tailstock. Remember to use cutting fluid though.

Shouldnt your teacher know all this and be able to tell you?

Cutting threads on lathes is dead easier, in fact much easier then by hand. What i do is just put the lathe on a slow speed, and let it feed itself in from the tailstock. Remember to use cutting fluid though.

Shouldnt your teacher know all this and be able to tell you?

Thats with a die though, isnt it todge?

Yes, i spoke to david the other day and apparently he doesnt have a die in the correct size, so he would have to do it the other way. But im not sure whether the fine pitch of the thread is possible the other way, because i have never personally used that method before.

PS the other way is hard to explain (you know what i mean) :">

Yeah, i know. Fine pitches arent really a problem with screwcutting, they only become a bitch when you cant actually see the things without a watchmaker's lens :)

David, add me to msn if you like, and i'll do my best to help :)

e.d.potts-03@student.lboro.ac.uk