Help Needed

evileye

them new mono trials is nice n powerful. ain't tried ma mates, but front wheel moves looked effortless :)

i personally went for the avid though. simply because the performance is flawless, but also, don't have to worry about fluids, bleeding, leaks, etc. ideal for me at uni, because limited to tools, so can maintain ma brake with a 5mm allen key and a pair o sidecutters :P

try to have a ride on a couple of each, see what u think. hydraulics do feel different. ma m8 thinks my avid is mushy, but i don't notice it because once ur used to the brake u don't even pull the lever hard, because u don't need to. he has a mono m4, which is totally on/off, but i think it feels kinda wooden.

anyways, my vote goes to avids for more than just performance reasons. but try a few before shellin out the cash.

smithy

I'd get the hope, as i can't stand cables.

You get a better feel with hydraulic brakes.

:P

thats bollocks my avid cable disk feels better than any hydrolic disk ive ever used.

with the avid you know your going to get a decent brake and it will be easyer for you to fix if anything goes wrong. how hard is it to replace a cable if it ever snaps? how hard is it to rebleed a brake? alot harder especially if you dont know how.

avid gets my vote especially as its proven.

thats bollocks my avid cable disk feels better than any hydrolic disk ive ever used.

with the avid you know your going to get a decent brake and it will be easyer for you to fix if anything goes wrong. how hard is it to replace a cable if it ever snaps? how hard is it to rebleed a brake? alot harder especially if you dont know how.

avid gets my vote especially as its proven.

yes the hope maybe be slightly harder to bleed but to be honest my hope mono trial has been the best disc i have used, i have been through shimano xt, hayes hfx, hayes cable brakes, hope mini, hope c2.

this brake has an amazing feel to it and it locks effortlessly.

also how do u manage to get a brake thats proven, the only reason anybody ever seemed to try the avid was because tarty had used one. sorry about this adam, but its true. i respect almost everything adam has to say, and im sure most do, but the problem is, is that you wont know which disc is best for you until you have tried both extensively(sp?). i haven't tried the avid disc and therefore have to refrain from commenting on the disc.

i do reccomend the hope, its braking is amazing and works very well. plus you get braided hosing with it as well.

however, for price and ease of maintenance iits obvious which wins

just my opinion

cheers

ben

also how do u manage to get a brake thats proven, the only reason anybody ever seemed to try the avid was because tarty had used one. sorry about this adam, but its true. i respect almost everything adam has to say, and im sure most do, but the problem is, is that you wont know which disc is best for you until you have tried both extensively(sp?). i haven't tried the avid disc and therefore have to refrain from commenting on the disc.

yeah i bet the main reason they took was because adam said they was so good but when people started using them they saw for themselfs that the avid is a really good brake for trials.

i have been through shimano xt, hayes hfx, hayes cable brakes, hope mini, hope c2.

So you haven't actually used an Avid then :P lmdo

The only reason anybody ever seemed to try the avid was because tarty had used one. sorry about this adam, but its true. i respect almost everything adam has to say, and im sure most do, but the problem is, is that you wont know which disc is best for you until you have tried both extensively(sp?). i haven't tried the avid disc and therefore have to refrain from commenting on the disc.

I used one on adams recommendation. Having tried his extensively while my mini was not working and when i made his leak too I thought sod it cables are a better plan. Don't nee braided hoses on cables, its metal anyway ahahahah

Mono Trials are more expensive too!!!

So you haven't actually used an Avid then :P lmdo

no but i had never said that i had used a avid :)

i have heard that they are good, again on adams reccomendation, although i prefer the feel of a hydraulic, thats my preference.

if im totally honest if i didnt get a good trade discount on the hope i would have gone for the avid, but because i get it cheaper working in a bike shop i felt i should get it.

and i love it. its probably the best brake i have ever used. its that good.

but each to their own. and bike rider yes many of the users of an avid brake have had good reports, but im sure somewhere i have seen some bad ones. and most people i have seen that have used the hope have had good results. both are probably good brakes.

i dont want to make this an argument :P

cheers

ben

To be honest the stuff said about Tarty is a load of shite, Americans have used and loved Avids for shit knows how long and it took Adam to try it out, he liked it and people followed. So therefore it is tried and tested.

Mono trials sound like shite too, that contaminated sound off all of them.

I currently run a avid disc brake and its tops cant fault it one way but just maybe it doesnt have the crispness of my old hope disc but it can hold me on any front moves i try with ease. Saying that the avid is so easy to maintain, service and fit its stupid. As for a hope i have never really felt 'safe' fiddiling aroudn with it due to the fact it pissed oil in my face at one point but thats becuase i have no idea how hydro disc work and how to bleed them.

Get a avid for less and be sure a great working brake, get a hope pay more and run the risk of having a worse one.

Edited by X-Lite_Rider

I've been thinking between these two brakes, all points raised here have really highlighted the pros/cons. One thing though, what does the Avid brake actually come with? The Caliper and rotor? Because I've seen people writing about choosing different rotors/cables/levers and all this. If I got an Avid I'd have to get a custom rotor anyway as I have a front Hope phatso hub with 5-bolt disk mounts. I'm just trying to work out how much it'd all cost ontop of the £50ish price on CRC or similar for the brake.

I like my Avid.

Locks well, performance isn't 100% int snow though. It doesn't feel funny in the cold like hydro discs/mavuuras do, and it doesn't piss fluid everywhere after a crash or snagged hose.

Piss easy to work with aswell.

I had an avid and it was brill, really nice hold, felt nice even with a crappo lever, easy to maintain. I now have a hope mini 185 on the front of my mod though, and its still got as much power as i need, and i prefer the feel of it. Not as sharp and a bit squidgy, which i like. Depends what kind of lever feel you like really, but i'd say get the avid if you just want a damn well working brake.