Seat Post Bodge Ideas?

Tod

Ive recently got my mits on a 'proper' seat, and I need some help bodging my seatpost into my frame.

The problem is, when I got the frame (a Koxx SX66) I was going through a UCI stylee phase, so I cut my mini seat down to the point where a slip of the pedals meant it was going to take more than a colonic irrigation to get it back out, and chopped the seat tube down so far that a seat clamp cant be used :">

But nowadays Ive moved house and need something to sit on during the trek into town, plus I miss being slack and sitting down all the time on rides.

So basically I need some ideas of how to make my seat post stay in my frame minus the seat clamp, and without permenantly damaging the frame (I think its had enough 'modding' for one lifetime) So far all I can think of is using double sided tape round the post and wedging it into the frame.

Cheers in advance, Tom

If there's enough material left, just cut another slot with a hacksaw. If there's not....you're a bit suffed :(

EDIT: ...unleeeessss you get a seatpost, and make that the new seatube (so it sticks up over the current seat tube) and cut a slot in that. Then get a new seat post to fit inside the other seatpost that is now your seatube.

Confused? I am! :(

If there's enough material left, just cut another slot with a hacksaw. If there's not....you're a bit suffed :D

EDIT: ...unleeeessss you get a seatpost, and make that the new seatube (so it sticks up over the current seat tube) and cut a slot in that. Then get a new seat post to fit inside the other seatpost that is now your seatube.

Confused? I am!  :(

I understand what your getting at, I'l pop down to the LBS and ask the guy for a rummage in the spares bin next saturday.

The zip tie idea might work too, Il see how big the rails are when I get it.

Anymore ideas?

Cheers for the help so far, Tom

How about drilling a hole through the seat tube and post and popping a bolt through that?

Seat tubes don't usually take that much stress and you've already chopped the frame so...it might just work.

yeah do that i have doen it before.

just make sure the seatpost goes plenty way down into the seat-tube.

Excuse the stupid question , but does running no seatpost in a frame that is intended for a conventional saddle / seatpost weaken a frame in any way ? I want to use my Base TA26 without saddle and post , but I'm concerned that dropoffs etc might perhaps force the seatstays into the seattube. Is this a valid concern , or am I just being an overprotective pratt ?

i have the same problem with my es4r. so i use a monty special seat post:img00175px.jpg

img00201sg.jpg

That looks sweet, where might I acquire one of those bad-asses? Might have a go at making one out of an old one piece steerer column (Y)

Thanks for all the input so far, Tom

Excuse the stupid question , but does running no seatpost in a frame that is intended for a conventional saddle / seatpost weaken a frame in any way ? I want to use my Base TA26 without saddle and post , but I'm concerned that dropoffs etc might perhaps force the seatstays into the seattube. Is this a valid concern , or am I just being an overprotective pratt ?

I think that maybe with the reputation that base's have for cracking around there it might be a bit of a bad idea to try it... however i think that some people hav beeen riding with their base's like this with no problems... I havn't heard of any of them actually snapping though after they've had a crack in them....

It's completely up to you though.

I like seats because i'm lazy :"> (and it matches the bike)

no please dont do this.

IT WILL CRACK THERE IF YOU DONT RUN A SEAT POST!

mine and everyone's i know who had a mini seat cracked their frame there.

Edited by Bucky

everyone who has cracked a base that i know has cracked it behind the seatstay and all of them used trials mini seats.

i dont know of anyone cracking them any where else or people who used full sizxed seats and proper seat posts who cracked them.