Music: Metal!

Mike Deere

Just a curious thought here more than anything, as I know that riders listen to all sorts :)

Me myself... I just love Metal! And was just wondering if anyone else let such heavy musical bliss tickle your ear drums? I tend to find that a lot of metal is much better written and composed than other genres (with the exception of prog rock, w00t!) creating blissful harmonies and flow within music. A few of my faves include Iron Maiden, Helloween, Hammerfall, Bal Sagoth, Symphony X, Sonata Artica, Dream Theater (prog) and Opeth (Y)

So all ye beings with heads of metal, make yourselves better known and stand forward. :blink:

Metallica is at the top of my playlists much of the time..... despite being into heavy d&b...lol.

Their 8m instrumentals are insane..... just amazing to listen to - I even got my mum to agree once, that they had a good ability to compose music...not quite her *classical* genre, but she still appreciated the composure.

:: Phaze ::

I'm not really into metal myself. I prefer a bit of rock, punk, indie and acid jazz. My favourite bands at the moment are Feeder, Pixies, Placebo, Bloc Party, Dillinger Four, Thrice and Weezer. But there'll always be a place in my heart for Oasis, Blur and the Verve because that was the music I was listening to when I was growing up, so I'll always like it.

A quality I look for in a rock band is the ability to have a quiet melodic verse and then a big heavy chorus - this concept was actually invented by the pixies. Or failing that it can be heavy all the way through but have a nice bridge towards the end.

To grasp my musical taste in afew songs, download the following:

"My Perfect Day" - Feeder

"Monkey gone to heaven" - Pixies

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this post by the way, i was "busy" at 4am :blink:

While I'm here, I can't begin to explain to you how good the pixies are. If anybody wants me to send them a song or two then add me to MSN.

Stephen.

Metallica is at the top of my playlists much of the time..... despite being into heavy d&b...lol.

Their 8m instrumentals are insane..... just amazing to listen to - I even got my mum to agree once, that they had a good ability to compose music...not quite her *classical* genre, but she still appreciated the composure.

:: Phaze ::

You should get her yto listen to the S&M album...

I like a range of music actually, heres a list of some bands i like:

Dry Kill Logic

Ill Nino

Greenday (some of it)

Van Halen

Mudvayne

Rage Against the Machine

Rammstein

Spineshank

The Killers

Audiovent

Queen

ACDC

There of the top of my head

If anyone can catagorise my music, then tell me :(

'cos i dont no (Y)"

wray

Edited by Merlin man

I'm listening to Lamb of God at the moment, they are quite heavy and loud (Y)

Others I like are:

fear factory;

Drowning Pool;

Slayer;

Devil Driver;

System Of A Down;

Rammstein;

Killswitch Engage;

Disturbed;

Coal Chamber;

Machine Head;

Cradle of Filth;

Dope;

Mad Capsule Markets (Japanese Metal)

Rob Zombie;

Soulfly.

Thats some of them anyway :( :("

Edited by merlin_rider

How about racer x, shadows fall, steve vai's heavier stuff, napalm death, the haunted, at the gates. The last few are the real metal riffage everybody looks at. Metallica used to be good back in the days before most of us were even born! Pantera, Damage Plan anything remotely dimebag darrel (ish), Superjoint Ritual and even ministry and Exodus. What was kirk hammett thinking in the early 80's. Exodus were a far better 'metal' band that metallica

Edited by murga123

Yer i listen to some metal, among lotsa other stuff. (Y)

While I'm here, I can't begin to explain to you how good the pixies are. If anybody wants me to send them a song or two then add me to MSN.

Think i might have to take you up on that offer, i never heard them but love feeder and all the other bands you mentioned, did you go to any of the "comfort in sound tour" gigs? I went to the wembley one.

Max

How can you have a topic about metal without anyone mentioning megadeth?! They're awesome, Dave Mustaine is a legend (this may or may not be influenced by seeing them live last night and them playing my 3 fave tracks :( ).

Congrats to the guy that mentioned racer x as well, they rock paul gilbert is just an insane guitarist, it'll blow your mind. (Y)

If you listen to just one track by them make it technical difficulties, it's an instrumental and it's awesome, no lyrics needed! :D

Also, i love Ayreon's "The Human Equation" for conceptual prog, something about that album really speaks to me and "Loser" is just a fantastic song!

Ben :(

Yer i listen to some metal, among lotsa other stuff.  (Y)

Think i might have to take you up on that offer, i never heard them but love feeder and all the other bands you mentioned, did you go to any of the "comfort in sound tour" gigs? I went to the wembley one.

Max

Didn't go to the comfort in sound tour, but i did see them twice in the previous tour. I got their new album on Monday and got it signed by Grant, Taka and Mark (Feeder) on Wednesday which was cool.

Max, add me to MSN if you haven't already and I'll send you a few songs.

Norma Jean are horrendous. Not only are they horrendous but they are also supporting Atreyu, so I have to endure the gashness that is their music before the mighty Atreyu come on. Gay.

(Y) That made me laugh dont know why but yer i admit Atreyu are sick.