Hoping To Make A Frame....

Will Arnold

Mate, no offense here, But if you dont even no what you need to braze something together then I strongly suggest you avoid touching the idea until you know what your doing.

Brazing is peice of piss one you know how, some gas (not sure which one, depends on melting point or solder) and some solder and some steel. If your making a frame then you'll want to weld it not braze it. I know curtis braze there bikes but they know what there doing, in general brazing is weak for small surface area joints because of how the process works.

''oxy-acetaline'' thats for welding aluminium, if you try and braze with that you'll melt the steel into a puddle.

Edited by thefletch

in terms of physical equipment..you need tubing of different gauges, vice, tube bender, hacksaw, various files, your bb shell/headtube/dropouts/frame extras and a jig to lay the frame together in

then you tack it together using small spots on braze on each join, in a certain order to ensure the tubes all pull together and align correctly.

and THEN you need all the brazing equipment people have said..before you even start thinking about the actual bazing.

brazing properly takes years and YEARS of experience. gary at curtis has been making bikes for over 20 years (and has had all the help he can from brian) and still cannot braze to the standard required to put a frame together fully. i saw brian curtis braze together a frame only yesterday - and i think he said you need to know over 40 different heat settings for the torch, depending on the progress of the braze / the position.

Brazing is peice of piss one you know how, some gas (not sure which one, depends on melting point or solder) and some solder and some steel. If your making a frame then you'll want to weld it not braze it. I know curtis braze there bikes but they know what there doing, in general brazing is weak for small surface area joints because of how the process works.

wrong. it's not a piece of piss and the braze itself (sifbronze we use) is stronger than the actual T45 tubing.. to braze two things together yes..even i've done that before. to braze a quality bike frame..near impossible. as i've said gary has tried to be taught many times by brian and it's partly down to "having it" or "not having it" brian told me that however much he tries to teach gary (in 20 years), he still can't do it to the perfect standard.

sorry if i sounds like i'm rubbishing your idea or whatever but i'm just letting you know what's involved in making a bike frame of any substantial quality (Y)

good luck! (sincerely)

Edited by the boon

Mate, no offense here, But if you dont even no what you need to braze something together then I strongly suggest you avoid touching the idea until you know what your doing.

''oxy-acetaline'' thats for welding aluminium, if you try and braze with that you'll melt the steel into a puddle.

Hence why he's asking us some questions (Y)

Edit, sorry missed this

ahahahahahaha

cheers, that cheered up a really shit day :(

Edited by dave85

yo, cheers for replies people :( my dad says he has brazing equipment but he doesent know how to use it exactly (Y) 

the sooner i start the sooner i will be good enough to make a frame :(

so what is the gas i actually need?

thanks again

Will

Did you not read what Matt (boon) just wrote, and if your dad has the equipment, surely he must know what gas it needs or should already have some gas.

Edited by thefletch

Did you not read what Matt (boon) just wrote, and if your dad has the equipment, surely he must know what gas it needs or should already have some gas.

i was double checking with you lot that he has the right gas as he doesent know fully how to braze.

i dont want to go blowing myself up or anything. (Y)"

i have a couple of chopped up reynolds frames so i will be using those to make a frame.

I'm 99% sure the'l no use what so ever.

Reynolds is butted, not Plain Guage, so It'l be far to thin where you've cut it to braze it to anything with much strength.

Mate, do the research, on this forum the if all the information you could ever need.

Places where to buy all the tube, where to buy the brazing consumables, Jigs, previous frames, designs, BB/Headtubes available off the shelf etc etc.

I'm 99% sure the'l no use what so ever.

Reynolds is butted, not Plain Guage, so It'l be far to thin where you've cut it to braze it to anything with much strength.

Mate, do the research, on this forum the if all the information you could ever need.

Places where to buy all the tube, where to buy the brazing consumables, Jigs, previous frames, designs, BB/Headtubes available off the shelf etc etc.

i looked for places to buy tubing on the forum but couldnt find anything :wub: maybe i didnt look hard enough :-

thanks man, i will look deeper into the forum.

Will

Steve Spurgeon (Heatsink) did a huge post about the physics of making a frame, where to buy materials from, material properties, suggested geometry, etc. - just search for it! It might be in the FAQ, but I can't remember. Anyway, try reading up on it on the internet first, instead of wasting the tubing you've got by messing it up 'cos you don't fully know what you're doing. Be super careful getting the BB shells and headtubes off, and then cleaning them, so you don't ovalise them and mean the whole process is pointless anyway.

Are you hoping to be able to ride this frame, or is it just to see if you can do it or what?

sorry mate but oxy-acetaline is used for alot of aplications from lead jointing work all the way up to cuttin steal girders so dont try to be smart

an fine it is very easy to braze a joint but to a high standard requres alot of expirience and knowin the therory behind it

and yes oxy acetaline is used for brazing but it will give a diferant heat depending on the head you use

btw if you dont have the equiptment to hand then dont bother you could easily buy 4-5 top frames for the price of the oxy-acetaline alone :wub:

Edited by mark-399

yeah, i have done lots of research, i have found many how-to guides and, with the help of rich4130 found a couple of places that sell tubes and fittings.

i already have oxy-acetaline and regualtor.

im going to fine some people locally that can teach me.

im gunna ride the frame! hell yeah! even if it only lasts a month i will still be happy. i'll just make another :wub:"

thanks again, i will post some piccys in a few months i should expect.

Will