Threaded Brake Mounts, Warrantied?

Smo™

At an understatement, I'm mightily pissed off.

Earlier on tonight I noticed that my brake was loose, so I went to check it out and discovered that both of the top two mounts had threaded on my Pitbull. I bought the frame from BikeDock about 8 months ago and wondered if anybody knows how they'll deal with it? Do they warranty brake mounts?

I can't believe this, my bike is hardly old and the fact that both the threads stripped at the same time is stupid.

Thanks.

Sounds like a helicoil would be the best option for me. But is there a compromise in the strength of the thread after using either of the two techniques (helicoil/M6)?

If you get it helicoled with the m5 thread it will actually be stronger then the original one. M6 threads have a bigger pitch then m5 bolts so are stronger but because the bolts are wider they could cause more flex (somin to do with bigger holes???)

inserting a helicoil will be a billion (approx) times stronger than normal M5 threads in aluminium frames. they are made of steel (stainless?) and have a very sharp and deep outside thread to anchor them into the material, and are far harder than alloys used in (the majority of) bike frames. can't really see anyway u could kill the threads ever agen? also, after doin this, try gettin hold of some stainless steel bolts if u ain't got em all ready. u'll b able to hang off the allen key n get em PROPER tight :D

smithy

i striped the left side threads on my xtp. yes i poo'ed my panties,

i got them taped to m6 by this wicked  engineer near to me. took 20 min and cos me a tenner. nuff said.

thechink

:lol:

I got mine tapped by some engineer in my area in about 5mins for free...

Could have bought a tap and tool for less than a tenner and done it yourself in less time.

Unless you're talking about a helicoil, then i understand...

Seb

Thanks for the help guys, M6 helicoil it is :)

no no no M5 helicoil is what you want. You use a helicoil tap which will be M5 and you use M5 helicoils, if you use M6 helicoil you will be screwed as it's too big.

It's unlucky it's happened, it's what happenes when you use steel bolts in alu, after 8 months it's not bad, and it's not the end just get it fixed, ive had it happen a load of times and so have other people.

If you really wanted to, you could send the frame to me and I will fix it up, but it will cost you in postage, your choice though.

Phil.