Disadvantages Of Ultra Wide Rims

SQuiT-man

onza, echo, planet-x seem to have the strongest wide rims imo.

loads stronger than the koxx shite :rolleyes:

Dont diss koxx rims. there not all that bad that people make out! Mines bin solid as fuk! and it has got only 2 dents that i cannot even see till the tyer is of!! the brake surface isnt all that bad but could be better..DONT DISS EM!

Scotty (Y)

Dont diss koxx rims. there not all that bad that people make out! Mines bin solid as fuk! and it has got only 2 dents that i cannot even see till the tyer is of!! the brake surface isnt all that bad but could be better..DONT DISS EM!

Scotty :rolleyes:

They are shite for grinds, Specially with hard pads, you've even said that your self (Y), but they're not that bad to be honest.

corish

Running wider rims are probably stronger and less likely to buckle than normal skinny rims but if they did buckle it would be really hard to ride as there would be less space for you to move the brake pad. If you are runnig a disc on a wide rim then you should have no trouble.

Hope I help. (Y)

JOE. :rolleyes:

untitled53pi.jpg

as you can see in the pic, the wider the rim is the better disturbiution of force is on the tube and less chance of rim contact to the ground. it's like pressing on a balloon with one finger :rolleyes: (hige pressure on small area) and needs less power to squeeze it all the way down. now try to squeeze the balloon with all your hand, you will need much more force!!!! the same thing goes with the wide and narrow rims. also, in low pressure there is less chance to fold the tire ,thanks to the extra support. try it!!!!!!!!

i use a planet-x bmf rim (38 mm) with a tubless kit. its the best rim i ever had and the tubless kit is a winner. tire i use: the maxxis moabster.

Edited by spider

I have always used try-all rims. Strong grinds and heavy street riding on them on some occasions. I have had my rear one for about 6 months and its still going strong.

Better control on rocks and you can do stuff on angles more cos the tyres are spread out. They also look kool.

No disadvnages at all.

Chris

The strongest rims out there have got to be Mavics, but being a thinner width make pinching easier (it seems) but also don't give as much grip as wide rims as the profile isn't as wide and the rolling resistance is more as there's more bounce in the tyre slowing you down. Wide rims are good for all of this but some say that because the actual rim is wider there is more leverage for spoke bending if you fell on the side of it of hit it or something. I'm moving to a 38mm wide Ronnie from a Mavic D521 which is 29.1mm wide anyway soon.

Edited by Trials Tom