Disadvantages Of Ultra Wide Rims

SQuiT-man

Are there any real disadvantages to having ultra-wide rims, as long as they will fit? (Yes, I am considering Viz/koxx 46mm wide MOD rims, but I will definately not be grinding them!)

Is it true they pinch flat easier? Because the tyre is more spread out, is the bounce of tyres reduced or increased? What are rider's experiences with them?

Cheers,

Scott

Is it true they pinch flat easier? Because the tyre is more spread out, is the bounce of tyres reduced or increased?

Scott

Some say wider rims give LESS pinch flats... but... personally, I can never tell a difference. Theres still 2 edges to squidge your tube against!

Div seems to speaketh the truth. D521 rims (or D721's as they are now? Or EX721 or whatever Mavic messed it about to) used to be the rim of choice, but with the advent of 4-bolt mount frames it meant people had to use wider rims 'cos the pads couldn't reach the rims with much force (if you get me...). However, they also give a better tyre profile, which means better grip most of the time, hence the world's riders running them.

They seem to be made of a shit metal though which doesn't deal with grinds too well, although the fact the majority are eyeletted means that they have enough strength around the spoke holes now.

Mark.

They seem to be made of a shit metal though which doesn't deal with grinds too well, although the fact the majority are eyeletted means that they have enough strength around the spoke holes now.

Its fair to say theyre not as tough as, say, a DX32 - however Scott doesnt wanna run a grind :)

As for the eyelets - its only the (quite a lot cheaper than Try-All) Onza Hog rims that have them (and maybe the viz ones too).

i used to run a 521 and loved it. but tire folded too much.

then i ran an echo rim and that was kewl. v kewl.

the i got a viz 47 mm rim and oh my god its too fooking lush. more bounce. more stabilty better tire profile and grips on off camber better.

i am a stock rider btw.

all in all i say get one.

thechink

Wide rims are heavier, weaker, don't hold grinds as well as a mavic. But we still all use them! Even if I didn't have to use a wide rim, I probably would. Makes the tyre flatter and it feels nicer. And then they probably grip better (You can run lower pressures without the tyre folding on off-camber stuff). Oh, and they look P.I.M.P :-

Weight watching is sooo mid 2004!!11 :rolleyes:

(Y)

i went from 521 to a dx32 simply for more stability, as far as tyre fold n stuff goes. dunno bout the strength issues. never had any probs with my onza full fat (dx32) which was eyeletted n undrilled. and i'd mullered plenty o 521s before that. also now running a 40mm koxx/tryall old style rear rim on the front with a 2.35 tyre. tis the bomb. extra bit o weight, but no worries about front wheel moves :rolleyes: grip and protection give me far more confidence than me old 519

smithy

you get more grip with a wider rim, but i believe that they pinch easier. i run a koxx rim f+r, and ive pinch loads on the rear, with maxxis,luna,monty, with halo, chengshing tubes, at hard and soft pressures.

but ive rimmed out on the front hard enough to put a big dent in it, but no pinch. and its only a monty tyre on the front at about 16psi.

so, when tartybikes gets my rim in, im going back to a 38mm on the rear again.

plus you get more spring with a narrow rim :rolleyes:

I've used a good mix of rims... I found my old X Lite phatso was pretty flexy... and my BMF which is basically the same was also pretty bad. All my mavics have been stiffer and stronger and so im now riding with a rear 521 ceramic. This is through choice as i'd much prefer the stiffness of a 521 than the flex but wideness of a big rim. I think the tyre fold stuff is all in your heads to be honest, you can ride just as well on a normal rim.

you get more grip with a wider rim, but i believe that they pinch easier. i run a koxx rim f+r, and ive pinch loads on the rear, with maxxis,luna,monty, with halo, chengshing tubes, at hard and soft pressures.

but ive rimmed out on the front hard enough to put a big dent in it

If you're pinching that much surely the solution would be to beef up your tire pressures? I pinched once in 18 months on a wide (Megamo Drilled, then one of the Koxx 40mm ones) rim and Monty tire, mod tires are generally solid!

I'm running Onza Ronnie & Reggies, though I'm not too heavy so they've been fine for me, especially with low pressues and Maxxis tires. Heavy duty set-ups are the way forward I think :rolleyes:

Though it would be absolutely awesome if Mavic made a 47 mm rim, that'd be the perfect trials rim! Better material for a good grind, and hopefully a little more strength. A ceramic wide rim would make a change!