How Comes...

FAT~DAN

how comes a bulb has less ingagemnets (which must mean teeth are bigger) and teeth rip off realy easy and a chris king (more engagments which must mean smaller teeth) hardly ever rip off :S

im coufuzzled a bulb that had been used for around a month before laste3d me 4 days

Dan

Must be something to do with the material used to make the engagements.

A bulb is designed really for Dh/Freeride type stuff - which means strong wheel builds and tough axles etc WHEREAS kings are pretty much all rounders BUT they obviously make the ratchets dead strong for thr rigours of trials use.

ALSO

the fact that there are so many engagements on a CK mean that you don't get so much power into the stroke before it engages. With a bulb it takes a wee while to engage so you get the full power of the kick slamming into one of the engagments.

Does that make any sense? Man this is difficult to word :S

Think about it, even though there are bigger teeth on the bulb, they aren't much bigger than a king. The king has more engaement points, so each one is taking a lot less load. Also, it's a bit of a myth that the bigger the teeth, the stronger they'll be. King uses a ringdrive system which has absolutely tiny teeth, which are damn hard to rip out. The bulb has bigger teeth, which will stick out further, and there for there will be more leverage on each tooth, making them easier to break. This is just how I logically look at it. Also, as before metioned, the king has less space for the opposite teeth to bash into each other as the hub engages, so you can't build up as much momentum.

Might be wrong...

Rich

...and the two different systems work in different ways. A kings uses pressure to push two rings together.. a hope uses outwards pressure to hold teeth into small grooves. 3 at time engage in a hope where as all of them in a king engage at once. Really cannot compare them...

The king uses two teethed rings, with 72 teeth, these teeth are probably impossible to break, will only wear out after a long period of time.

The two rings are pushed togother with a spring and in one direction, the teeth slide over each other, the hub disengages.

In the other direction the teeth lock, the hub engages.

driverings_lg.jpg

there you can kind of see how it works.

As for the bulb

A ring of teeth in the hub (32) are engaged/disengaged from the drive train via three prawls and springs. These can easily break especially with smaller teeth, as there are only three points where the hub engages at any given time.

421.jpg

this shows the prawls in the freehub body.

As for the Hope mono/xc it works in exactly the same way as the bulb, only there are 16 engagement teeth, making them bigger, as you dont need to fit as many in the hub, this in turn makes the engagements stronger, making it less likely to break.

Hope that clarifies things.

Seb

Ps: if i have anything wrong, please say as this is how i understand they work but i am no expert... :S

plus, hopes are more likely to slip under immence torque, but the king ring-drive acually works better under immence torque! and it's less likely to slip!

i wouldnt have thought anyone could put enough tourque on a hope hub and make it break, unless there was a faught. :P

i could well be completly wrong herem or i was being lied to, but at the bike show at the chris king stand, i remeber one of the guys saying there hubs can take the power of 40 ferrie's :-

Dave :)

i could well be completly wrong herem or i was being lied to, but at the bike show at the chris king stand, i remeber one of the guys saying there hubs can take the power of 40 ferrie's 

Dave

WTF ferrie's ? :P

ive heard the cassete would break before the hub would skip if you could actually put that much power into a hub lol

anyway all that matters is they work very well for trials :P

i didnt really notice a lack of engagement with a hope xc but i do know when i ride one after my king :wink2:

but they arent really a neccesity (SP) i just got a pair cause i had some money to spend :P" you could ride just as well with a hope as proved by many top riders without them. :D

Gavin :P