University

Andy Vox

Has anyone who is at university or been to university managed to take their bike with them? cuz i heard you weren't allowed but if thats the case im guna go to a near university and stay at home.

I like riding so much lately that not being able to ride at uni would be like torture for me. :S

Im only sacrificing a good degree for my bike, nowt wrong with that! :D"

You CAN get away with it no matter how strict the rules are, don't worry. Even if you are lacking in cunning skills and they make you get it out, there is allways a bike store or a safe place to store it locally... rent a locals garage out for example, this is what i did for a few months. :-

Tom

hey man i'm off to uni in september and i've got 4 bikes, a wind surfer and a kayak to take and re home (i'm leaving my parents house for ever and have to move out properly). i plan to have one bike in the bike shed, another under my bed, a third in my room which i'll take outside whenever theres a room inspection and hopefully my missus will let me store the fourth one at hers. the wind surfer needs selling before i go to uni and the kayak will live in the kayak store :P

take it and dont give up. where you going BTW?

in the end i dont see how a university can deprive you of transport... if they havnt provided a safe bike store on site of the halls then they cant complain that you keep it in you room.

i keep mine under the stairs... even though theres a big sign saying " leave this area clear at all times " no ones said anything.

oli

but as leedstrials said ... dont take it to start with... i didnt for 2 weeks and i was so glad... to be honest if you're anything like me you wont have time to ride anyway... i still dont.

what i did was take it with me from the start. Most Uni Halls Of Residence will have a secure bike shed with locked doors, and you can also lock your bike up inside there. You most probably won't use your bike for the first two weeks or so anyway as there's so much new stuff and people around to distract you! After a while i moved my bike up to my room, and just moved it when the cleaner came round (They normally give you a set day/time when they'll be coming). she knew i had it in there, but as i never damaged anything with it or left any mess, and was nice to her, there was no problem. just be subtle about it and you'll be fine. after the 1st year you'll most probably have your own house anyway, so its not a problem after that! Good Luck at uni :P

I was thinking the same this time last year, with my bmx, xc bike and of course my trials bike!

Took my bmx straight away, as i had bought it especially for uni to get about and substitute my trials bike. Locked that in the halls lock up.

Came home the second weekend, to get my xc bike so i could join the xc team decided itll go under my bed, was gonna take my trials bike too, but they wouldnt let me take two bikes on the train :P

6 weeks went past and well to be honest yeh i missed my trials bike a bit no and then but was doing so much i didnt really mind.

Then my pc monitor broke, and didnt have enough money for a new one and had a spare at home, so my parents brought that up, along with my trials bike :P

Someone moved out of our flat so we had a spare room which i then kept my xc bike and bmx in, and sat my trials bike in my room so i could look at it, also a very good convo starter with new mates with no saddle and all :P"

This semester, got my bmx locked up outside my flat and my xc and trials bike sitting in my room. So far we've had two inspections, one at xmas when well i wasnt there and all my stuff was at home and second the other day but im at home again with glandular fever and both my bikes :)

Also spoke to my halls president and he says they dont care about bikes as long as it is not a safety hazard, in terms of blocking fire exits...

As for the bike lock ups around the halls, mine got broken into a couple of weeks ago door mearly kicked down and a few bikes taken, luckily all my bikes not in it. Wouldnt trust leaving my trials or xc bike in there... :P

Anyway, should stop the essay :P

Scope the halls first, then get it later on, have words with other people etc. Dont let your bike ruin your degree... after all 2nd year youll get your own flat/house so bikes dont matter then :P

Seb

i'm in the same "boat"......my mum doesn't seem to believe that i'll be able to take it with me- this topic will hopefully change her mind.. :P

i'm applying to imperial (london) or bath....i would like to ride wherever i go

adam

u applied to go this september or for next year? i got my interview at imperial on wednesday for mechanical engineering, already had an offer from bath.

Or you could use your initiative like the more intelligent students I know and rent a house or flat with other people. That way you'd be able to keep what ever you wanted there, it's usually cheaper and you'll have ten times the space you get in crappy, cramped, extortionate, shared halls.

Dan

Or you could use your initiative like the more intelligent students I know and rent a house or flat with other people. That way you'd be able to keep what ever you wanted there, it's usually cheaper and you'll have ten times the space you get in crappy, cramped, extortionate, shared halls.

I was in halls last year, and then moved to a rented house. That's what most people do. It's more expensive where I am now, but the room is much bigger, and as you say, you can do what you like. I never had any problems in halls with my bike last year, but maybe I was just lucky :wink2:

question for ad101, i am thinking about going into chemcal engineering so... what A-level subjucts did u take and what grades did u gte and have to get to go to uni?

thanks guy

erm personal message has just sprung to my mind but ill leav it here so people can refer to it if needed.

Edited by guy

Im doing chemical engineering at the moment at university of birmingham, in my first year. I needed BBB to get in, seems to be that way for all the unis for MEng CCC for BEng. I think imperial offered me ABB.

You need to have Maths and Chemistry or Physics plus one other. I did Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology for AS got BBCB respectivly.

Dropped Physics for A level, because i found it difficult and uninteresting.

For my A levels, got BCC (chem, maths, bio) which i was really disapointed with and thought i wouldnt get into uni and couldnt face another year at VI form. Luckily though even though i dropped two grades on my offer, they still let me in, I think that comes down to the lower interest in Chemical engineering, not so many students apply to it compared to other courses. Also the interview will have helped loads, mine went really well. Also they see your marks too, i was like 32 marks off getting ABB...

Dont worry about interviews though, they dont really ask academic questions. They just want to find out about you to see if you do have a personalitly!! As they will probably get everyone applying with AAA or BBB, so inteligence doesnt matter so much.

Good luck everyone with offers and interviews.

Seb