Not Strictly Legal Software

hititfaster

Basically, I 'aquired' Windows XP Pro. It runs fine and I've had no problems so far, but just recently I've been getting a pop-up in the bottom right hand side of my screen saying 'Windows automatic updates'.

I've just been cancelling it up to now because I don't know whether the fact I have NSL software will be picked up by Microsoft when I try DLing stuff from them. Also, when I got the MSN 7 beta version, it didn't have the handwrite feature on it: I tried to add it, but when I got to the site it said something about it being for registered users only (or something to that effect) which ticked me off a bit too.

All I want to know is whether I can go through with the updates as normal, and whether it's gonna be ok to DL things like that handwriting feature.

Cheers guys :huh:

you will be fine downloading everything apart from service packs as said above.

SP1 i think you can still download but for SP2 you need to change your CD key to one that Microsoft don't recognise as stolen. if you serach on google you should be able to find the 2 programs you need 1 to create a Cd key that will work with updates and 1 to change it for you.

Yeah you should have no problems with updating Windows "NSL Edition" via automatic updates.

In order to avoid having to change my cd key everytime I reinstall, I've found it hand to 'aquire' a copy of XP with each sevice pack integrated into the install :huh:

basically the only time microsoft can check serials , is when there upgrading via service packs, they tried sueing everyone who didnt run legal windows by scanning there pc's for duplicated serials ages back, but it all went tits up as it was invasion of privacy

also microsoft arent gunna do much, as they aint gunna spend about £5000 takin u to court over a £70 os.