Hope Mini Trial Disc Owners

matt_urban

Ive just got the Mono Mini Tials as the standard hope Mini was not powerful enough.

I got the bloke in the shop to set it up, but it felt rubbish and spungy, so I got him to re bleed a further 2 times, but no luck, the lever is still really spungy. Been on a few rides now and no signs of improvement.

Tonight i spent 3 hours re bleeding 4 times, riding, adding fluid, trying everything to improve the bite of the brake. Even tapping the braided hosing in the hope that some random air bubble rises up through the system.

As it stands the lever only really bites hard when the blade is about 1cm from the grip, but when pulled hard, the levr can actually touch the grips. I do do rock climbig and have a strong grip, but i swear this kind of performance is not correct.

I went into my LBS today to feel a set of mini's and M4's and the response i get from them is amazing compared to my crap brake!

Can anyone help, I love the feel of a tight brake setup.

al

Ok nice bump there matey 3 years is a fair old strech.

I think your question might have already been answered in this thread. Have you had your brake mounts faced?

Another thing to take into consideration is that because of the piston diameters to get more power the brake will feel a lot more "spungy" or spongy for us that speak english. I personally think your brake might be spongy now because you've pissed about with it so much. I don't know how much of a mechanic you are so can't really comment.

Ok nice bump there matey 3 years is a fair old strech.

I think your question might have already been answered in this thread. Have you had your brake mounts faced?

Another thing to take into consideration is that because of the piston diameters to get more power the brake will feel a lot more "spungy" or spongy for us that speak english. I personally think your brake might be spongy now because you've pissed about with it so much. I don't know how much of a mechanic you are so can't really comment.

I used to work in a bike shop, so ive bled many a pair of hopes before with success. These trials ones just dont seem to be working well at all for me. In response to the previous post, the allen key bolt adjusts the reach of the lever positioning. This does not get to the crux of the problem, which is that the lever is really "spongy".

What difference will getting the forks faced make? Ive never done this before. The forks are Echo Urbans, and the caliper fits ok without any need for washers, so does it really require facing? If so, any idea where I can get this done in the North West?

Alex

I asked about the fork facing as it often sorts out 'mushy' brakes.

Might be worth getting in touch with Hope again - i'm sure they'll help you out. However, its nothing to be worried about, can't say i even notice it while riding :blink:

Didnt Tartybikes used to sell those for £50 once a upon a time? my hope mono trials grabs nicely but sweaks like a mouse! annoying

Ive just been examining the caliper on the disc, and I have come to the conclusion that facing the forks really will make a difference. Its quite difficult to explain my observations but i shall try:

For the purposes of this explanation "100% lever" pull is when the lever touches the bar, therefore 50% is half way from relaxed.

Imagine that when i pull the lever 30% i feel and see the pads touch the disc, but the pad does not have 100% contact with the disc. If i look closely i can see a slight gap between the left pad and the disc in a diaganal orientation. As I pull to 60% the pad pulls in where the gap is and bites the disc. This movement between 30-60% pull is due to the misalignment of the faces on the fork. Should the faces be perfect, the disc should grab at 30% pull.

This is further proven as unequal forces are distrubuted on the left hand pad resulting in quite obvious accelerated ware on one side of the pad.

I have also googled the problem and found this review of a tool hope make, called the SPOT. Old link but the tool is still for sale for aproximatley 65 quid. If i cant get this done in my LBS i shall buy one and report back to you guys on the difference it makes (if any).

http://biketrials.com/review/2003_Hope_Dis..._Tool_L315.html

There you go happy days. By the way I wasn't trying to be a cock in my first post even though reading back I sounded like one.

Discs can be a right bugger to set up sometimes and the smallest thing can throw them right off but when they are working they are the bees knees.

Just got my 2008 sponsoship kit, have used this brake since first production.

1st generation had slight issues with "pistons seizing" as the brake was getting hot and seizing the pistons, never had a problem myself as i usually when i come across the start of something like this i take me pads out and lubricate the pistons.

So 2008 stuff with carbon levers and stuff. cant say much more than the carbon lever just adds to lever comfort and feel!!!! 110% !!!! Brilliant.

Best trials brake, designed by trials riders FOR trials riders.

If you dont own one, YOU SHOULD! iv always used 180/190 (in my koxx days) rotors and iv always taken a few minutes to bed in and after that no problems.

Wayne.

I feel like ive had some kind of ilness with these breaks but not known whats wrong with me.

Ive just taken my bike to Evans, where it was scheduled to have the front mounts faced, but the Hope Spot facing tool does not line up with the bold mounts!

The bloody disc mount is out of cock, that why!

All this time i have been so quick to presume that its all hopes fault, whereas the root cause is a pair of 80 quid echo urban forks, and some back street welding lol!

I shall be sorting something out with the warrenty in due course hopefully!

But what a bloody mission eh!

2 pairs of discs, a lengthly discussion on here, 5 bleeds and a 15 quid consultation, and ive finally figured out the problem!

I think cancer would have been easier to diagnose!

Maybe if someone has the same squidgy lever problem, they may read this and find out alot cheaper and quicker than i did!

2 years worth of a thread :lol: you could have rang hope 365 days a year and still been better off :lol: only kidding.

Alot of the time with my past experience with echo/zoo forks etc, the spot facing tool does not fit BUT you can make the tool face the mount ;)

if you do face the mount you will feel much better break "bite" to the disc, so the pads hit the disc square on etc. i did it to a pair the other day (Y) spot on now they are.

Wayne.

2 years worth of a thread :lol: you could have rang hope 365 days a year and still been better off :lol: only kidding.

Alot of the time with my past experience with echo/zoo forks etc, the spot facing tool does not fit BUT you can make the tool face the mount ;)

if you do face the mount you will feel much better break "bite" to the disc, so the pads hit the disc square on etc. i did it to a pair the other day (Y) spot on now they are.

Wayne.

Waynio,

How did you do it, did you drill out the mounts a little?

I dont really want to do this becauseit will affect the warranty!

Im swapping the echo urban forks for some echo controls, hopefully they will be better, if not i shall begin drilling!