Car Amps And Speakers...

Big_oll

Forget the 6x9's, get some good front components and a sub. Then amp the sub + components. :(

6x9's distort your bass, unless you amp the 6x9's and components on a different amp to the sub (2 amps) or power the components and 6x9's from your head unit. I wouldn't reccomend powering them from your headunit though.

Edited by Slingshot

Forget the 6x9's, get some good front components and a sub. Then amp the sub + components.  :S

6x9's distort your bass.  :(

Not if you've got decent speakers and set up etc..

I've got JBL 6x9's, JBL 1000w sub etc.. No distortion, just lots of bass!

Forget the 6x9's, get some good front components and a sub. Then amp the sub + components.  :(

6x9's distort your bass, unless you amp the 6x9's and components on a different amp to the sub (2 amps) or power the components and 6x9's from your head unit. I wouldn't reccomend powering them from your headunit though.

Who said you have to run an sub aswell as some 6*9's?

Im just running JBL GTO 6*9's with some matching JBL 13's off a 4X50w Sony headunit and its fine for my car (Peugeot 106). With my next car I expect I will be using JBL speakers again but I plan to amp up the 6*9's [and maybe amp up the 13's aswell but thats unlikely].

I dont plan to keep the 106 for much longer so im not gonna bother with anything else untilll I get my next car which I plan to keep for a couple of years at least.

Tic

I have a set of Inifinity 6x9's and an Alpine 2 channel amp. The headunit powers the front 17"s, and it is plenty adequate.

As long as the 6x9's are amped, it sounds ok. A sub would deffinatly improve it though. The bass isn't quite as punch as I'd like it to be.

If I ever manage to actually get anymore money, I'll probably get a sub and a seperate monoblock amp for the sub.

However, there are more important things to spend money on...such as tyres.

My "Beginners car audio" thread is like 6 pages pages long so Id advise you to search for that

As for 6x9s and a sub, i think you need to spend serious doh if your looking for good sound quality. But if your just looking for shed loads of bass (I still dont get why people liek it :blink: ) then yeah you might aswell

People like it because Drum&Bass sounds silly as just Drum lol...

What music do you listen to? Ah I love Drum. Not Drum&Bass? Nah, bass sucks, just the Drum will do...  :blink:

Thing is, the bass just overpowers everything. Meh suppose its just what you wanna listen to. If all you want to hear is thud, thud, thud as your roof and boot bounce up and down, thats fine. If you wanna hear every element of music, you need careful consideration when 6x9's AND subs are concerned

Edited by JTM

As JTM has said if your getting a sub just get normal components (which you could probably just run off your headunit). Theres nothing worse than 6x9's trying to do bass along side your sub :blink: Components would be better quality too i imagine as they aint trying to do everything at once :ermm:

oli, you listen to indie like me, it doesnt sound good with a sub. you want to get a good head unit and speakers, and maybe amp.

im getting Sony CDX-F7500 MP3 CD Tuner with 4x52w power output with some Infinity 6500cs speakers. then instead of 6x9 im getting some cheaper infinity speakers for the back which can go into car sides leaving my parcel shelf free for when bikes go in.

the front speakers and heaunit give more than enough base for indie music and enough power to be reasonably loud, plus the front speakers come with really good tweeters some when mounted in the doors, you still get the details from those mounted on the dash.

prefect for indie,

a sub with indie makes it sounds really crap, no point bothering

Edited by DrEvil270183

Anyone know how this could be done:

Front components

Rear 6x9s

small 8/10in sub

Having themset up so the sounstage is basically deepening towards the rear

So the majority of high frequencies come from the front components with a little mid range

Most of the mid range comes from the 6x9s but with a little bass and high freq

And all the bass and a little mid range coming from the sub

?????

Correct me if im wrong, but on my 2 headunits, both sony, one a top end model. You cant adjut the EQ or soundstage like that??? Ie, individually? Does this become availiable once amps are connected? (which i dont have)??? Can anyone shed any light?

Anyone know how this could be done:

Front components

Rear 6x9s

small 8/10in sub

Having themset up so the sounstage is basically deepening towards the rear

So the majority of high frequencies come from the front components with a little mid range

Most of the mid range comes from the 6x9s but with a little bass and high freq

And all the bass and a little mid range coming from the sub

?????

Correct me if im wrong, but on my 2 headunits, both sony, one a top end model. You cant adjut the EQ or soundstage like that??? Ie, individually? Does this become availiable once amps are connected? (which i dont have)??? Can anyone shed any light?

You can usually adjust the levels on two channels, so a 2 channel amp would have one lot of equaliser setting, a 4 channel would have two sets, a 6 channel 3 etc.

The front components would be controlled off the head unit. You can then set the amp to control certain frequencies, i.e the 6x9's would be allowed to play anything at around 80Hz, on the first two channels.

You would then probably bridge the sub on the next 2 channels, and set it to play lower frequencies.

Although ideally you'd have a seperate amp for the sub.

EDIT: That was a bit of a crappy explanation. In answer to your question, an amp would almost certinally help.