What Choices Of Material.

Davetrials

he is a spaz ignore him, he will be bored by lunch 2moz

Go f**k ur whore and while ur at it f**k ur self.

My bike from work wont be here for a good solid two months, today a boss friend who has been welding for near 40 years or sumthing stupid like that, came along and proposed the idea of making me a custom frame,

Aluminium if you can find PROPER tubing and a guy who can actually weld as well as the chinese/tawiwanese....

Steel it is. Easier, cheaper, easily repairable.

Some guy whos been welding for like 40years :blink:

what steel is stong/light.

Edited by Davetrials

Reynolds newest cycle tubing, is a high stength air hardening alloy that takes seamless steel to new heights. Unlike current steels, this alloy actually increases in strength in the critical joint area as it cools from TIG welding temperatures. In addition, 853 demonstrates excellent fatigue life and damage resistance, making it ideal for competitive use.

(taken from web site)

Look up columbus reynolds. Loads of good info.

Try... true temper sports... usa so maybe costly.

Goto waltworks.com have a read and check out his links... the free bike cad on bikeforest.com is cool for working out geo.

Hope this helps :blink:"

Reynolds newest cycle tubing, is a high stength air hardening alloy that takes seamless steel to new heights. Unlike current steels, this alloy actually increases in strength in the critical joint area as it cools from TIG welding temperatures. In addition, 853 demonstrates excellent fatigue life and damage resistance, making it ideal for competitive use.

(taken from web site)

Look up columbus reynolds. Loads of good info.

Try... true temper sports... usa so maybe costly.

Goto waltworks.com  have a read and check out his links... the free bike cad on bikeforest.com is cool for working out geo.

Hope this helps :("

yeah 853 is good stuff but maybe get in contact with curtis bikes-see if they can help you out getting some T45 (Y) and get in touch with leeson bikes-im sure they would both be happy to help you (Y)

Also, just because someone has been welding for 40 odd years, doesn't mean they will successfully be able to construct a frame... It's a lot harder than it looks, and even if he can weld a frame together, it probably won't have been stress-tested on relevent computer programs etc etc..

I'm not trying to put the idea down, I'm just stating the facts. Best of luck with it :)

if the fellow has been welding for 40 years he should know what material to pick shouldnt he ?  :)"

Not necessarily, he may have extensive knowledge of different materials and their welding cababilities, but not all relevant data that needs to be taken into account when choosing a frame material. I found this at the place I worked for last year. The welders knew their stuff when it came to welding, but not for any other applications.

Also, it's very hard to use a pc to "test" welded parts due to the large human factor involved (it has been done, but it was simplified to a point where the information the pc was returning was no-where near accurate enough).

Your best bet is to look at what materials are being used for frames these days. Not just "aluminium" or "steel", but the exact material (ie. Reynolds 853 or 6061 grade aluminium). Look at their material properties to make a decision as to whether they would be good for your frame. Then speak to your welder friend to get his view on whether it's a good choice from a manufacturing (welding) point of view. It may also be worth noting that to achieve a decent life in an aluminium frame, it should be heat-treated after welding.

Hope that all helps.

Not necessarily, he may have extensive knowledge of different materials and their welding cababilities, but not all relevant data that needs to be taken into account when choosing a frame material.  I found this at the place I worked for last year.  The welders knew their stuff when it came to welding, but not for any other applications.

Also, it's very hard to use a pc to "test" welded parts due to the large human factor involved (it has been done, but it was simplified to a point where the information the pc was returning was no-where near accurate enough).

Your best bet is to look at what materials are being used for frames these days.  Not just "aluminium" or "steel", but the exact material (ie. Reynolds 853 or 6061 grade aluminium).  Look at their material properties to make a decision as to whether they would be good for your frame.  Then speak to your welder friend to get his view on whether it's a good choice from a manufacturing (welding) point of view.  It may also be worth noting that to achieve a decent life in an aluminium frame, it should be heat-treated after welding.

Hope that all helps.

This man knows what he's on about. Take note.

As for materials... you might as well forget Reynolds, I've spoken to them myself, and they basically make standard sized toobs for road or for MTB use with butting in the appropriate places. Trouble is that trials frames are hardly standard, and by the time you've chopped bits off to make the standard toobs fit, the butting is rendered useless (you just cut most of it off :lol: ). Yeah, sure, you can buy custom stuff too, but you'll be caughing up for tooling costs and expenses required to make it, as Pashley do. Your pocket isn't that deep, I assure you! You'll probably find the same thing with Ceeway's Columbus tube too.

Best bet is T45. Curtis get it from Elmdon metals, and so can you: Google it :)

That's what I'm doing (Y)

Theres no trouble in paradise is there ladies!?

Dave been bumming someone else? Someone "not-quite" as sexy as mike?

Tune in next week for the outcome, same sexy place, same sexy time....ooo yer

Edited by JTM

just cause this guys been welding for 40 years doesn't mean he's been welding aluminium or steel tubing for 40 years. Its an art!

Gary at curtis doesn't even weld some fo the frame because he still doesn't see himself as being good enough to do it.