Sidehop Geometry

SQuiT-man

Hi, I just wondered what kind of geometry makes a mod easier to do big sidehops than on another mod?

Like shorter reach bikes with longer chainstays tend to be easier to manual, longer reach bikes with shorter chainstays tend to be easier on the back wheel, etc.

Does BB rise make much difference on a mod? Also what about stem length, etc?

Cheers,

Scott

Its like saying what gearings best for gapping, you can go too far one way or the other. I think a shortish bike with longish stays would be best for sidehopping, but the longer the stays the hard it is to pull up the back end. Mr Benito Ros used a monty when he did his masive side hop, so maby long stays isn't nesassery.

As for BB hight, the higher it is, you can lift your legs higher befor you backside hits the bike. But if the BB is lower, you can get the wheels higher when lifting the bike up with your legs, again its not a case of on way or the other, its finding the optimum hight.

(Y)

Edited by JT!

I think its quite clear which is better for sidehopping (monty)... but then, that might just be the fact that the spanish are crazy.

I rode a mates koxx levelboss long, and i loved it, felt really nice on the back wheel. But the python beat it in that aspect.

Only problem with the python is that i found it near impossible to lift the front end whilst riding along, whereas the koxx was bearable. Guessing the short will be about the same, but just for shorter people.

Just thought id add, i think short bikes are the way forward! Monty riders can go so much bigger than anyone else ive seen, its immense. I think long bikes are a fad that should be grown out of. Saying that, im buying an echo team tomorrow (Y)" i wanna be part of the fad!

Edited by Hobnobs

Just thought id add, i think short bikes are the way forward! Monty riders can go so much bigger than anyone else ive seen, its immense.

Or maybe it is because the people riding Montys are better than the people riding long bikes. Im sure if you plonked Benito on a 1045 Python he would be able to go just as high.

(Y)

Edited by myownhero

I have a monty, I got better a bit at sidehops when I got it, I have a go of craigs zoo python sometimes and I feel there is no difference between them when sidehopping besides obvious things like flatter bars long frame.

corish

I dont think geometry makes that much difference when it comes to just sidehops, but basically low weight and springy chainstays (old echo, zoo frames) will help quite a bit, and make sure you dont go for a frame longer than you need, it will hinder you ( like if your 5 foot dont go for a zoo python long)

I have became better on side hops after getting my Python. I can do higher and this time, both side equally good! Awesome bike.

Before I have had 221 X-Lite monty, and Brisa B20 Pro. Brisa was better than Monty and ZOO! is the best.