A Little Tip

andyroo

Yesterday i was fagging around with my bike, and I finally got peed off with the fact that I have to pull on my lever with all my might for the break to lock up, otherwise it just slips and makes a funny, "fffftt" noise. Its a tryall rim with a superlight grind, with koxx bloxx, and I had previously tried soapy water, and white spirits to try and get a grippier rim.

I found some "Halfords engine cleaner" spray in the shed, and decided to use that, being that it is a majorly powerful degreaser.

I squirted a load into the gap between my rim and pads, and it kind of foamed up, and i rode along dragging my brake lightly. I then wiped down my rim and pads, dragged the brake a bit more and wiped the rim and pads again to get rid of the excess. I id that twice more, rode around, dragging the brake, wiping the rim, till it was completely dry. After a few minutes, my brake was loud and grabby, just perfect, without any new pads, grinds or tar. So if your brake is a bit slippy, grab yourself some Halfords (or any other brand probably) engine cleaner, and give it a try. Works really good, for those people who want to avoid grinding or using tar where they can.

Be careful not to drip any on your chain or into an unsealed hub though!!!!

your brake is probably wank cause you are spraying so much crap on it?

just put a new grind on it and it will be mint, everyone else who uses koxx bloxxs with a grind have no problems? mine were also fine >_<

how long has your brake been good after you sprayed the engine cleaner on it? i cant see it being good for long...

Yesterday i was fagging around with my bike, and I finally got peed off with the fact that I have to pull on my lever with all my might for the break to lock up, otherwise it just slips and makes a funny, "fffftt" noise. Its a tryall rim with a superlight grind, with koxx bloxx, and I had previously tried soapy water, and white spirits to try and get a grippier rim.

I found some "Halfords engine cleaner" spray in the shed, and decided to use that, being that it is a majorly powerful degreaser.

I squirted a load into the gap between my rim and pads, and it kind of foamed up, and i rode along dragging my brake lightly. I then wiped down my rim and pads, dragged the brake a bit more and wiped the rim and pads again to get rid of the excess. I id that twice more, rode around, dragging the brake, wiping the rim, till it was completely dry. After a few minutes, my brake was loud and grabby, just perfect, without any new pads, grinds or tar. So if your brake is a bit slippy, grab yourself some Halfords (or any other brand probably) engine cleaner, and give it a try. Works really good, for those people who want to avoid grinding or using tar where they can.

Be careful not to drip any on your chain or into an unsealed hub though!!!!

Degreaser's an old trick we use in NZ but it doesn't last long, it's a bit like tar but you have to keep cleaning then re-appling it to get that bite. (lasts long enough for a short session).

My Try-all rim and koxx bloxx do the ssshht noise too, but I haven't had the setup long enough to experiment, or even set the pads up flat to the rim as they only just fit, so I'll have to wear them flat then look at it.

Edited by bluecatracingcat

No, I don't normally spray my rims with stuff, and Its not like ive left it on the rim to provide grip, I used it to remove the crap that white spirits didnt remove. And it removed A LOT of crap! I did it on Sunday evening, and it's still biting just as strong, obviously, the brake setup needs to be good, it's just a surefire method to get ALL the grease off of your rim and pads.

Will post when the brake goes poo again :lol:

I gave some "Cillit Bang" a go on my rims yesterday (ceramic 521 rear, smooth silver 517 front)

The amount of crap it got off the rim was immense. I've never seen my front rim look so spotless! I rode around for a couple of seconds dragging the brake to work the cleaner into the pads to. I then wiped it off with a sheet of kitchen roll.

After a couple of seconds, the braking power on the front was crazily powerful. Never has my front brake been so sharp (standard black Avid pads). It let out a super loud squeel, and almost flung me over the bars, which took me by suprise!

I'd definatly reccommend it :lol:

Hey

Just go to halfords and get some "Intensive tar remover" works a treat, it oinly last a few hours, but it cleans your rims, also Muc-off is very good too, it removes every tiny bit of crap of your rim(Y),

:S

But If I was you, just rub your pads on the floor abit, so its clean, and then grind your rim,then set your brake square to the rim(Y), and if you like apply a slight bit of tar :o

Good luck(Y)

some belt spray? lol... i have got some now.. gonna give it a go soon.

its meant to be water/oil resistant as well

noooooooooooooooo! i tried it a while back it works well but as it leaves the rim sticky after about 20 mins of riding you will have gained so much crap on your rim your brake will be pooh. (just amagin selotape dragged round outside and that will be what yur rim will look like :o )

i found this out last winter and it hurt lots..............

How long does it last?

even when i clean my rim with white spirit to get the tar off it works great but only lasts for about a day....isnt using that the same?

White spirits leaves oily crap on your rim when it dries. an added feature of one of the bonus chemicals they use in it.

Thats cos white spirit will have virtually coated your rim in oil...

You need to use Meths.

Edited by Krisboats

Was out riding yesterday, and noticed that the brake was a little less squeaky, but still holding well. It rained a tad, and the rim got wet, but after a few minutes, it was back to super powerful super squeaky braking again! This stuff has done a good job in keeping the rim clean, and what seems like a kind of anti grease protection too. Good stuff :unsure: