Near Death Experience

spunkey_monkey_boy

Will, why get Koxx browns when you could get the greens? :)  I had a quick ride in the wet then just to see if my new Try-All tyre up front was any good (It is.  Oh yes, it is.), but then I noticed how uber good my back brake is.  Proper lock, bite and hold now.  It's all freaking good.  It sucks that it's about |  | thin when you get it, but hopefully it'll last a while :lol:  Anyway, I'd definitely recommend them.  If the wear rate's wank I'll put a post in Pad Review, but yeah, they're well worth looking at :S

Are you taking about the RimJam Greens??

If you are then I will agree with you 100%... they work f**king amazing in the wet, lock like a bitch. I was very surprised as I though they wouldnt hold but I was proven wrong :S The wear rate is a bit of a let down though as I have a heavy grind and there going down pretty fast :P

( Read what I wrote in my previous post about what Chris is doing to sort the wear rate problem :P )

Watson

Are you taking about the RimJam Greens??

If you are then I will agree with you 100%... they work f**king amazing in the wet, lock like a bitch. I was very surprised as I though they wouldnt hold but I was proven wrong :S The wear rate is a bit of a let down though as I have a heavy grind and there going down pretty fast :S

( Read what I wrote in my previous post about what Chris is doing to sort the wear rate problem :lol: )

Watson

Nah, I meant the Koxx greens, sorry!

Speaking of pads - my Plaz CRM worked freakishly well in the wet yesterday on my new Try-All front rim, without a grind. Weirded me out, that's for sure.

spunkey_monkey_boy's pad were some of the very first ones, on the old backings too, at that time we were experimenting with different glues. We also had some trouble with the glue sticking to the pure white plastic. But we do not use the pure white plastic anymore, or that glue.

An update is, we are working on a deeper recess and more glues which will help cure this problem.

We are also working on a new shape and wider pad, which will help wear rate. I will be sending out pads to people like Ross to try soon. :lol:

Hope this helps, and i will keep you posted on updates. :S

Thanks, Chris

Edited by wally

Nah, I meant the Koxx greens, sorry!

Speaking of pads - my Plaz CRM worked freakishly well in the wet yesterday on my new Try-All front rim, without a grind.  Weirded me out, that's for sure.

I had CRM's on the front with no grind and they were poo :lol:

Then decided to put a lightish grind on an shit me, they lock up soo nice.

Only downside is that they squeal like a b*****d so I have to jump off the bike to slow myself down.

I don't think i'll be using any other pads.

I think i'm going to stick with Koxx and CRM's

People saying about heatsinks being amazing....

Mine are absoultly W*nk!

Ive had the batch B yellow pads, and now the 2005 Gens and they do not work at all....No hold and only a bit of bite,(Both pairs) which is nothing compared to my blue rimjams which were mint, but wore down so fast, and at a dodgy angle becuase they pivoted so much on the piston.

Pauly has some greem rimjams and oh my god! they feel soo nich, bite and seem to have a nice hold on them too!

My input :lol:

Tom

People saying about heatsinks being amazing....

Mine are absoultly W*nk!

Ive had the batch B yellow pads, and now the 2005 Gens and they do not work at all....No hold and only a bit of bite,(Both pairs) which is nothing compared to my blue rimjams which were mint, but wore down so fast, and at a dodgy angle becuase they pivoted so much on the piston.

Pauly has some greem rimjams and oh my god! they feel soo nich, bite and seem to have a nice hold on them too!

My input :lol:

Tom

Try setting you brake up properly. There is quite a few things that can contribute to a working brake. Pad choice if only one of them.

Other things to consider are:

Actual brake set-up

Is it bled properly

Flex in the frame (using a booster ?)

Rim choice, as a koxx/viz rim will work SHIT with a pad that will work well on an echo/onza ronnie/alex rim.

Is the grind done properly? Depending on grinding discs and techniques you can make a right 'henry halls' of it then blame the pads.

Heatinks/Koxx bloxx get shit reviews from a lot of people who use koxx/viz rims. This is because as originally stated these pads are quite hard and really do need a rim with harder material.

Heatinks get shit reviews from a lot of people who use koxx/viz rims. This is because as originally stated these pads are quite hard and really do need a rim with harder material.

Not 'originally'... it only came about after a phone conversation between myself and Steve, after Id used some of his pads...

Well I meant he tried making some for the softer rim types, Just as koxx have too with all the new pads.

What ever happened to the tarty pads, they looked really promising. Always wanted to give a set a go.

Just as koxx have too with all the new pads.

What ever happened to the tarty pads, they looked really promising. Always wanted to give a set a go.

Nah, theyre just using different colour pigment, so people can colour co-ordinate their bikes... Which in turn gives different properties.

As for the Tarty ones - haven't got time to make any :lol: Hoping to look into better production methods, like Steve... we're about half way there at a guess...

Nah, theyre just using different colour pigment, so people can colour co-ordinate their bikes... Which in turn gives different properties.

As for the Tarty ones - haven't got time to make any :P Hoping to look into better production methods, like Steve... we're about half way there at a guess...

im sure the new koxx ones are softer and not justa diffenent colour :S

as i was cleaning my bike the other day and noticed that they have worn now about half way in about 2 months (red ones) where as my koxx browns took about 8 months to wear that much

although the preformance dosent seem to be that differnt :lol:

So thats how they came across it? :lol: I read on one Onzaboymarks posts that there was very little material. Are all of the new koxx pads like this? Or just certain colours? sorry :S

Will give the Tarty pads a try when they show up, looking forward to that.

im sure the new koxx ones are softer and not justa diffenent colour :ermm:

Please remember that softness and wear resistance are two totally seperate things...

You can have a soft pad, that takes ages to wear... or a hard pad, that wears fast. It is the compound that dictates how grippy/wear resistant a brake pad is. Grip and wear resistance are generally a trade-off.

Not wanting to be controversal, but I'd disagree about the pigmentation of the pads affecting pad performance for a given compound.

The reason why the colour has no effect on the physical properties of the compound is that the pigmentation % additive level during preparation of the material is very very small.

Any perceived differences in performance can be explained by 2 things:

1. Material performance/softness tolerances from manufacture which can be substantial depending on the sophistication of the material processing equipment. By nature, two different coloured samples will have been prepared in seperate batches and so be susceptable to these material tolerances.

2. The subjective and variable nature of other parameters comprising the braking system.

Talking in general about brake pad testing, to get an accurate comparision (by making all aspects equal such as brake set-up, surface condition, grease level etc) which you can put figures on, testing off the bike is required on a "rig" which rules out the variable parameters in the braking system, and so makes everything equal so only the pad performance is under scrutiny. In this way, two important things to quantify are:

1. Coefficient of friction

2. Wear rate

From this it's possible to say such things as pad 1 is X times more grippy than pad 2, and that pad 3 wears Y times quicker than pad 4 for the given abrasive medium.

I've got some very interesting results from my own testing across many samples of each of the commercially available pads.

Of course, the bench mark for high calibre performance needs to be set on the bike itself, but then by taking the testing off the bike, you can see that that's where you find out some really interesting things and get to the truth of the matter!

As a general rule softer pads have a higher coefficient of friction, but for a manually operated braking systems, too soft is bad news because of:

1. Soft brake feel

2. Difficulty to retain pad on backing due to the peel rather than shear mechanism under braking

3. Distortion under braking causes exaggerated rounding of the corners and such. This localised wearing can prematurely shorten the life of your pads!

On the brake pads falling apart thing, check out what happened when I took a brand new and unused pair of Coust pads and put them onto a loose slave cylinder and then tried to remove them:

gallery_201_104_15793.jpg

Sorry to all of those sick to the back teeth with topics about pads for bumping this back to the top of the board! :">

Steve

The reason why the colour has no effect on the physical properties of the compound is that the pigmentation % additive level during preparation of the material is very very small.

What sort of values are we talking about Steve? Can't say i've ever looked into that :ermm:

Have you tested differing compounds of the same hardness? I found compound to make a great difference in performance once a satisfactory hardness had been found.

From speaking to them, red's are softest, then browns are hardest, with the others in the middle...

From speaking to them, red's are softest, then browns are hardest, with the others in the middle...

Seems nobody really knows then... I was told theyre all the same hardness :ermm:

Weren't yellows meant to be the softest?

Or are they getting hardness/softness and wear resistance mixed up?

Edit: http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....ndpost&p=548334

Today my mates RimJam Blues clipings broke and don't click on anymore. seem to be ok aswell.

mine done that when i rode for him.. i then told him about the problem. saying he should make the backings a bit less brittle... but i didnt get too much glory for that :ermm:

tater

What sort of values are we talking about Steve? Can't say i've ever looked into that :ermm:

The pigmentation is only a fraction of a percent of the blend.

Steve did you buy those coust pads?

I bought them because I wanted to see whether the hype was merited. Since making my own pads I've resolved never to post a bad word about any other trials pads on TF, so I'll let you all form your own conclusions of my assessment of them! Clue: Also the title of a Shania Twain song.....

Steve