Near Death Experience

spunkey_monkey_boy

right i was out riding yesterday and almost as soon as i got out i tried back wheeling a small wall. it was about the 3rd move of the day, i didn't qquite make it because my brake slipped and i fell off hard. i thought it was just me being a fanny and pulling the lever hard enough until i noticed my lever pulling all the way to the bar, shit i've popped a hose i thought but no...

my bloody rimjam pad had ripped itself off the backing, it wasn't even a big or harsh move and the crappy pad had come clean off. all i can say is i'm bloody glad i wasn't doing a gap/drop because it could have been alot worse. as it is the rimjams are going in the bin, i'm running standard black maggura pads (which work very well on a good grind) and i'll be ordering some heatsinks as soon as steve has the next batch out.

gallery_3231_13_18420.jpg

gallery_3231_13_31899.jpg

gallery_3231_13_9890.jpg

Edited by spunkey_monkey_boy

Crap! Just deleted 2 of your threads... and left one... which you now edited :D Sorry!  :">

Hopefully there's some sort of backup?  (Y)

thats cool, i was going to ask you to delete them but you did it before i could. just used the back button and found the one which hadn't been edited :)

Are they the first batch or something? Heard of a few doing that. You do need 100% confidence in your rear brake. Getting some heatsinks will give you that.

i dunno what batch they are, pics above

all i can say is i'm well pissed off because they've only done 3 rides and i'm not a big or hard rider! they might be cheaper than koxx bloxx etc but shit me if they fall apart after 3 rides they're proper crap!

as i said i'm running standard black pads now in place of the broken rimjam and carrying spare black pads incase the other one goes!

not impressed at all and will definately never be running rimjams again!

Unlucky Tom!

My guess, through my experience of making pads, is that the softness of the material has played a big effect in them falling apart.

Glue is very strong in tension, in shear, but poor in peel (relatively). With a very soft pad (as the red RimJams are), the surface tends to try and 'slide' forwards/backwards when you brake, which in turn tries to peel the material from the backing. I think you can see the effects of this in the first picture, on the left hand corner, where its standing away from the backing after peeling.

The harder pads (green being the hardest) do not suffer from this anywhere near as much (although, of course, all materials will do it a small amount).

Give Chris a shout, see what he can do for you. Im sure he'll help you out in some way (Y)

Are they the first batch or something? Heard of a few doing that. You do need 100% confidence in your rear brake. Getting some heatsinks will give you that.

Yes they are the very first batch with the white backings.

Unlucky Tom!

Give Chris a shout, see what he can do for you. Im sure he'll help you out in some way (Y)

:) I would like to see the pad, too, so i can see what went wrong. :D

Edited by wally

(Y) I would like to see the pad, too, so i can see what went wrong.  :)

My guess, through my experience of making pads, is that the softness of the material has played a big effect in them falling apart.

Glue is very strong in tension, in shear, but poor in peel (relatively). With a very soft pad (as the red RimJams are), the surface tends to try and 'slide' forwards/backwards when you brake, which in turn tries to peel the material from the backing. I think you can see the effects of this in the first picture, on the left hand corner, where its standing away from the backing after peeling.

The harder pads (green being the hardest) do not suffer from this anywhere near as much (although, of course, all materials will do it a small amount).

I'm thinking Ads guess is pretty close to what happened.

Yeah it looks to be about 2 or 3mm there. Maybe you should sacrifice some pad depth and add some more material on the recess?

Yeah. My mates just got some Green ones and he had to use his angle grinder to take some pad off. I'd make the pads 7mm and add the 2 mm or so into the pad for safety (Y).

The green ones work well though.

Nick

Well my Green pads are still going strong... no problems... although I did speak to Chris about the wear rate as mines are being used with a harsh grind and are going down pretty fast... so Chris said he will make some new pads with a harder material and making the pads wider to reduce wearage :S :lol:

Also... the brake locks like a bitch... love them :P

Watson

Stop makin such a fuss! One of my heatsink pads came out of its backings, but you dont hear me complaining and winging. I just superglued it back in. Works perfect, and there bloody awesome pads!

wray

sod off. i've never had a brake pad fall apart on me before, if i'd known i'd never have bought them. if pads are made for the job they shouldn't fall apart, i don't do big harsh moves and i don't expect parts to fall apart!

almost everyone else has made useful coments but you have to be a tit :lol:

ive never heard of koxx bloxx falling apart......guess what brake pads i'll be getting next :lol:"

heatsink c pads seem very well glued in :S i tried using a vice and my hands to seperate them and i couldnt :P

i'll be getting koxx browns when my heaties wear out anyways........

cheers,

Will

I think its just one of those one off things, i ride with rimjams, and (apart from the old backings) they are great. nice and cheap too.

My cousins monty hydras ripped of their backings too :lol: now he has rimjams. :P :S

Will, why get Koxx browns when you could get the greens? :P I had a quick ride in the wet then just to see if my new Try-All tyre up front was any good (It is. Oh yes, it is.), but then I noticed how uber good my back brake is. Proper lock, bite and hold now. It's all freaking good. It sucks that it's about | | thin when you get it, but hopefully it'll last a while :lol: Anyway, I'd definitely recommend them. If the wear rate's wank I'll put a post in Pad Review, but yeah, they're well worth looking at :S