.z

Sponge

....Officially, ti is supposed to be 60% of the weight of steel, and 6 times as strong, but has a nice springly-like flex property like steel, with high fatigue resistance. That should make it a much better material for trials than any of these materials......

You have to remember that ti is notch sensitive . . . . . meaning that if you scratch it you get stress concentrations at the scratches leading to failures. . . . not exactly ideal for trials - where frames are expected to be scratched and knocked. Plus you have to weld them in inert gasses - tricky !!

This new stuff sounds abit like marketing bull from trek mind - if it were that great - no one would use anything else - and it is unlikely to be someting trek invented !!!

This new stuff sounds abit like marketing bull from trek mind - if it were that great - no one would use anything else - and it is unlikely to be someting trek invented !!!

you will find that trek are one of the biggest bike companies on the planet, they have ultimate resources, from wind tunnels to extremly good knowledge with frame materials, its certainly not market bull as they took a frame to a trek uni day at stirling on wednesday and cut it up along with many carbon frames, so they did invent it and do own all rights to it, hence why no one else can use.

i am unsure why you think its unlikely trek invented the material, you obviously dont know how big they are in the cycling industry.

also on this uni day they only found one other manufacturers carbon frames that were better then theirs, colonago frames, however after a quick phonecall they found that colonago get their carbon from FERRARI.

so yea, my two cents

i am unsure why you think its unlikely trek invented the material, you obviously dont know how big they are in the cycling industry.

Its just that usually bike companies use material that was used in other industries - such as in building aeroplanes - then the technology filters down that way - like the carbon fibre example ...... starts out in F1 or something with limitless funding - ends up in a bike many moons later.

I dunno - it just seems unlikely that a bike company would be solely responsible for making a new type of super aluminium alloy. i would have thought someone else would have done it and they bought rights

but i guess im wrong then - i guess if a bike company makes an alloy it might be more suited to bikes !!!

Edited by manuel

i agree that is unlikely that trek actually invented the material on their own but they may have employed people to do research into new materials for their frames to make their bikes lighter stronger etc, and they make and test the various materials that were thought up. trek is a massive company so probably have a big enough budget to be able to afford something like that. the other option is that they heard about this new metal and then bought the patent for the material.

somebody said above that Ti isn't as expensive as people think that it is, to be honest i cant say asi agree with that, the reason why Ti is so expensive is the production cost of extracting the titanium from its ore, this is expensive because about 97% of the energy used by the process goes into makng Mg(magneisium), its also a batch process which means it starts ans stops, so it again costs more money.

sorry about the ramble there..... :">

Edited by onzamad