Prawns New Mega Disc :):):)

Prawny Baby

morning fellas!

for a while now ive wanted to get a hope mono trial, but if im perfectly honest, theres no chance of me being able to afford one :D

so

i decided to try and make the most powerful disc as cheaply as possible....

i go thinking aout discs ive used in the past, and in my experience, magura discs, the louise in particular, have always been far more powerful than any others, and this is even though they run 160mm rotors....

so

i thought, what would be the best combination for a magura disc setup?

i prefer the new style twin piston callipers, so ive bought a 2nd hand 2004 brake very cheapy.... giving me the calliperm, but we all know those new style levers are horrid....

so im using an old year 2000 lever, with an hs33 lever blade, all polished up shiney and silver, in time, ill get an rb blade if i can find one, but for now the hs3 will do!

so thatll be the basis of a sound and powerful louise disc, but to make it extra sweet, ill be running a 203mm ebc disc with a calliper adaptor :P:D:D

the whole setup has cost me £50, and if its anything like the louise discs that come std on koxx bikes, its going to be imense!!!!

pics to follow asap!!!!

yea man, i always thought the most powerful and bitey disc i had was my 2001 louise on a 160mm rotor.... but the levers leaked so often, i blew up 3 in the space of a few weeks"!

which is why im using the far more reliable 2000 lever, and with a 203 mm rotor, i see no reason why it shouldnt have rediculous amounts of power :D:):P

the sweet sound of 203 is mint prawn!

all my discs have been 180 + iv bnever run a 160 as i dont see them being as powerful.

iv had a 203mm mono 6ti and then got a mono m4 in which i needed to use a 110mm rotor.............power is amazing,the bigger the better none of this weight saving more braking ability and control.

iv just got a mono trial with a 190 rotor on the +30mm koxx forx and the ability of the mono trial is stupid!!!!! mine bedded in,within 10-15mins after putting a bit of mud on the rotor and its been spot on ever since.

Waynio.............................

glad to see people agree with me :D i love the quality of hope brakes, but in my experience, maguras have always had that bit more bikte and power, hence the choice of a louise!!!

im hoping its going to be awesome, and i see no reason why it shouldnt be!

im typing this at pierres hose right now, while hes in his 'polishing room' polishing my louise lever up, it currently looks like its made from mirror glass :P

Thats gonna be a bit beasty prawn and all for £50 as well, mintage!!

I think I may have to give mine the polished treatment as well as it really is like looking in a mirror!!

Can't wait to see!

Cheers

Rob :D :P

cheers lads, ive also got a plan for my rear brake as well :D:):P which im in the process of speaking to edd potts about. if hes willing to do it, its going to be awesome!!!!!

on the polishing front, pierre really should start to charge people for it!!!! he can make just about and metal component shine up like glass!!!! he seems to have devoted his life to polishing stuff and shineyness, god help us all when he gets his car done! its going to be a blinder!

Prawn ive looked at this thread twice now and still no pictures :P

Mite have to close it if you dont have a pic by the time i get back from uni :P

The disk sounds like a pretty dahm good idea although im not sure about the strain it will be putting on your forks disk mount :D

sadly these pics just dont do it even 2% of the justice it deserves....

we all need a french friend in this life.... mine, just happens to be rather handy with a dremel and bottle of polish :-:D:D

you can quite literally do your hair in it its THAT shiney!!!!

getting a rear lever sorted to match i think, its just so cool!

currently trying to cut down an old hs33 unex braided hose!

it was looking scabby and nasty, so i cut off all the plastic covering and its nice and shiney and new looking again :-

just gotta try and secure it into the calliper now.... as the unex olive is obviously not usable.... going to try and use the unex barbed fitting and a magura oilve if itll go over!

then ill have a braided hose for free :D

yea man, completion is VERY close, ive got enough bits to make it up as a single pot brake atm, but my twin piston louise was posted to me this morning, so im going to wait until tomorow.... and set it up finally and properl :D

the ebc disc and adaptor arrived today, and the rotor is HUGE! and seems to be very well made, im looking 4ward to trying it out :D

pics should be up tomorow if all goes to plan :P

only thing im unsure on now is what to bleed it with....

back in the day i bled my 2000 louise's up with water to avoid the dreaded pump up.... i may do that again with a touch of antifreeze to keep things lubed up :P:):-

hmmmmmmmmm-super powerful, realatively light, snappy lever.... £50!!!!!

bargin methinx

yea man, completion is  VERY close, ive got enough bits to make it up as a single pot brake atm, but my twin piston louise was posted to me this morning, so im going to wait until tomorow.... and set it up finally and properl :)

the ebc disc and adaptor arrived today, and the rotor is HUGE! and seems to be very well made, im looking 4ward to trying it out :)

pics should be up tomorow if all goes to plan :)

only thing im unsure on now is what to bleed it with....

back in the day i bled my 2000 louise's up with water to avoid the dreaded pump up.... i may do that again with a touch of antifreeze to keep things lubed up :):):)

hmmmmmmmmm-super powerful, realatively light, snappy lever.... £50!!!!!

bargin methinx

did you mean to say that? :)

anyways, good luck with the brake, i love it when people try to make the best out of lots of similar parts by mixing them up a bit :) its ace.

cheers