Fisheye Len's

Dai the Socket

I was going to put this in Chit-Chat but it's strongly related to vid's so I thought it'd be best in either.

I've got a Panasonic NVGS 40 (<-link) and it can take lens additions etc as it's got threads on the inside of the silver lens outer bit!

I want something that will look cool, but that can be used for loads of things, and that won't make your head hurt!

something like in Canberra trials video 13:

fisheye.jpg

I don't want to be shelling out absolutly tons of money. I'm not sure how much they cost but £40 ish would be in my opinion an OK price, but little to my knowledge they might be £90RRP.

Thanks for all your advice in advance. Nick

http://www.jessops.com/search/dointellisearch.cfm?node=364

Have a wee look there. Currently im running a Raynox 0.5x wide angle clip on. You can see it in use in my last 2 videos. Combined with 16:9 setting on the camera, i love it. There super good quality, and can fit most cameras as there clip on.

Don't worry about the clip on being insecure, it's not. It has sort of fake threads on it, so it cant go no where fast :)

Theres also proper len's there.

Also check out this (thanks to Janson for this), might help you decide on the lens you wan't, and what strength.

lenses2ch.jpg

Im also after a Fisheye/Wideangle lens for my video camera, but need some help.

I dont think that clip on Lens would fit as it says 27mm to 37mm.

Ive got this camera...

Link to camera..

Basically can anyone tell me where to get a lens. Them clip on ones seems fine...but i need the right size. Dont wana spend tooo much cash either.

Thanks!

Stan.

Another vote for raynox for me, i got the 0.7X a wee while ago, and it's brilliant, really good quality, secure etc. I may invest in a 0.3X soon aswell. :)

Mike. :)

You don't have a clip or photo of your 0.7x do you mike? I'll catch you on msn now..

I'm looking at the 0.5 since it'll be more versitile i think. My threads on the camera are 27mm, so will a 27-37mm be ok? I know it's stupid but It might be really too tight etc.

I was looking at that one Tart linked to from Jessops. Means I could pick it up tomorrow from Leeds actually.

Nick

I've used a 0.43x fisheye for years (which originally cost £49.99), and much to the hate of users on here! :) I purchased a wide/tele lens kit just before the end of last year, and that consisted of a 0.5 Wide and 0.2x Tele lens - this was £59.99. The 0.5 is great, you can get lots in your frame and not have any distortion at all! 0.2 tele was used in TM1 some, that was the one with extreme vig-netting on it (the black ring). Dont use it that often though.

BUT, if you want ultra wide, go for summot slightly less than 0.5 cos the less you go, the more you gain so to speak - cos u get more depth of field and therefore more in your frame/viewfinder.

IF you've got the big bucks, this is to anybody btw, Century Optics make a version of their Death Lens (which is used for nearly all sk8 videos) for single chip cameras, i.e. all the cameras linked to so far on this page - they usually have 30 to 37mm threads on the camera - hehe, and this retails at £675 - at least thats how much it was when I contacted them last year! Nice to know theres that option! :)

But yea, 0.43 for REALLY wide angle or just 0.5 for all round useability! :)

Jonny.

Edited by trialmedia

Yay, that's my picture up there..

The Sony lense I used provided 0.6x, and is quite versatile. It does distort the picture quite a bit, even though it doesn't vignett.

The Raynox fisheye obviously gives more distortion, and vignetting on some cameras. I found that the Raynox 0.3x gave the picture a blurred look, which is not what I want. It's fine for web videos though, but as soon as you want a half decent quality video in full DV mode, look elswhere.

I filmed the "bathtime" video with the Sony wide angle on, and the Raynox bodged on top for the super-vignetted shots, just 'cos I could. I could fit the whole rider in the frame standing about 2 feet away, which was cool, but super tacky looking.

The Raynox is a great solution for all round fisheyeness though.. It's inexpensive, gives a distorted look, makes filming 10000000 times easier, but might mess up the picture quality a bit, but then again, all cheaper lenses do.

Well since my camera isn't 3CCD i'm guessing that i'm not getting the same quality of picture as on the canberra trials vid (picture above)..so i've been educated on :)

I'm wanting something that doesn't give much of the black ring around the outside. And doesn't give you a headache when watching. Something subtle but effective.

I'm thinking of the 0.5 Wide lens now everyone's discussed it a little. Which I'd get the Raynox Clip-On one from Jessops (in leeds if they stock them).

As for the pictures above done by the Very king Mr Janson.. I'd like a compromise between the 0.3x Semi fisheye, and the 0.6x wide angle sony lens.

A little more from the sony, a little less from the fisheye.

I'm hoping a 0.5, or 0.43 if I can get one.. Will get this :)

What d'you think. Thanks :):)

Nick :)

Edited by mod661

The black ring, or vignetting, really depends on the camera. The further the extra lense sits from the camera's extra lense, the fisheye/wideangle might vignett a bit. The fisheye doesn't vignett on my Sony TRV25E camera, but does on others.

To get rid of the worst vignetting or distortion, you can just zoom the camera in a bit.

I'd get a 0.3x, and if you don't want extreme distortion in all pictures, just zoom through the worst. It's always nice to have something really wideangle for those shots where you don't have lots of space, and importantly, time to find a better angle with room to move..

Mod661, I think that you would be best off with the 0.5x wide angle lens. In the screen shot you took of the canberratrials video the lens being used is a clip on 0.3x zoomed in slightly to get rid of most of the vignett, so it is probably at about 0.45x. The clip on lenses are great, so easy to use however I found that you can't zoom in very far without it loosing focus completely with no fix for it. I guess you get what you pay for in that respect.

As for your camera, i can't guarantee the clip on 27-37mm lens will fit your camera but i think you should go for it. It probably fits a 25mm so that they don't get any complaints. Also, with your camera having the 27mm lens you will get less vignetting as it is seeing less of the fisheye lens if that makes sense, it is looking more through the centre.

I now run a 0.6x lens that is better quality than my old one and can zoom in as far as it likes without losing quality. I am more than happy with the wideness it gives me and wouldn't swap it for anything wider.

Anyway, in some sort of summary, go for this one Raynox 0.5x Clip On (27mm-37mm) - (QC-505) which should look like this:

rayqc505.jpg

Oh and a link to some pictures of my new one here

Hey Alex.

Thanks for your post. Proved very helpful >_<

I got the 0.3x wide angle lens from Jessops this morning for £20. Since mine's 17mm and it's 17mm-27mm I worked out that it'll have less effect since it's looking more through the middle. And it's worked a treat.

Awesome day's riding. All I need now is a longer battery! 1hour is crap!

The clip bit is really secure and It looks cool. Easy to get on and off, and comes in it's own case :turned:

Thanks for all your inputs anyway! (N)

Nick (Y)

I would try to find a screw on lense, as they seem to be a bit more durable. I have a screw on jessops one that came with a whole bunch of adaptors to fit loads of different screw sizes. Ill try to find a link. Hmmm seems like they dont do it any more >_<

I cant make my mind up wether to get the 0.3x semi-fisheye or the 0.5x wideangle lens

What would be better to get ? And does anyone know wether it'll fit a canon mv730i

Thanks Sam

I've got 0.3x wide angle, which might be a semi-fisheye (Y)

Find out your filter size.

I got 0.3, 'cos they had no 0.5's, and 'cos since mine's 27mm, and the lens is 27-37mm, it'll be looking more down the middle, so it's not AS blurred and messed up, distorting the picture.

I'll show u in my next vid in a few mins :)