Front Wheel Touch Hops

somberlaine

Well I have been flirting with front wheel touch hops for sometime now (i.e. where you bounce your front wheel off the top of a wall or rail when pedal hopping up to back wheel. But, alas, I truely suckxors at it. I am definately commiting to it (I have the scars to prove it!) and am just wondering how long everyone has taken to learn this technique.

Simply put I am pedalling up to the object and as my 'chocolate' foot pushes down, my front wheel raises, as does my body, and I push the front wheel into to top edge of the wall. This does not seem to be working, although obviously that is an incredibly simple explanation.

I'm sure you'll all just tell me, ''more practise'', but since I still haven't managed to master this I thought I would just check that there isn't some hidden secret for execution.

Michael

i did it today for my first time, but without pedaling, just riding towords a wall, and touch my front wheel and then pull. my best hop to a wall and to my rear wheel is 1 meter with out that tuoch up thing. you need less power with this thing.

few things i'v got to know:

1.do i need more psi in my front tyre?in order to not pinch flat it...

2.do i need to come slower? faster?

3.how high can i go?

4.is this thing realy work or just ends my forks life faster? did it realy lifted my front wheel higher or what? >_<

i learnt i kind of new way (well for me anyway) of front touching. where you go slower than you would when backwheeling normally. then bring the front end up as normal bang it down on the TOP of the wall and it gets me up walls without me event trying - it makes me fly >_<

i learnt i kind of new way (well for me anyway) of front touching. where you go slower than you would when backwheeling normally. then bring the front end up as normal bang it down on the TOP of the wall and it gets me up walls without me event trying - it makes me fly >_<

Rolling wheelswap?

I want to learn to front touch aswell, I sometimes do it by accident (N)

I would say more speed would help and crouch quite abit before you go up :turned:

The only thing that i could think youre doing wrong is hitting your wheel too low on the wall, this deadens the effect and can make you fly over your bars. Its all about where you hit your wheel, once you find the 'sweet spot' then you will honestly fly up the wall and will surprise yourself at how easy it is to get up walls using this technique.

The secret to wheel front touching is, like you are doing, go up to the wall asif you and just going to backwheel is without front touch, then before your backwheel leaves the floor, gently tounch your front wheel into the CORNER!! of the wall (obviously you will need to hit it al little bit lower as the wall gets higher) and let your arms take the rebound (dont tense them) so the bike comes close to your willy, then when you have touched, throw your arms up asif you are backwheeling it again, and then you should have it >_<

And about tyre presure, I kinda have mine low pressure (11Psi) so that i can fell it rim when it touches.

And about speed, i find it at just a little bit slower than walking speed is the best :turned:

Just keep learning (N)

Ive been tapping for years now. I find that to go to back wheel, you have to pedal slightly later than to go to 2 wheels so the bike hits the wall when your front foot is about to put the power through the pedal on the strong foot. Then throw the arms up. Tyre pressure makes little difference. You wont break your forks doing this at all. Just aim just below the top of the wall. More speed does help with the bigger steps, and it doesnt work so well below about 26".

Help me please some one! -or nick, CLS or neil.T if any of you read this...

i can backwheel fairly high - 46" ish off a bunnyhop, 50" ish if i hit the front wheel(on a good day), but when i tap the front wheel i tap it near the top edge of the wall/object,kind of a 'Flick' of the front wheel. I noticed nick from the london ride backwheel a wall like 5ft high! he hit the front wheel on the wall, but no where near the top?? it looked like he poped a wheelie and rode into the wall with his front wheel,but then, as if there was a cable attached to him from a crane, he just flew up the wall to the back wheel!? is this a totally different technique to taping it on the top edge? because the top edge of 5ft is a bit high to tap, and nick's bike didnt look like it was at the point of flipping back or anything.

-i have found in the past, i have gone to tap the f/wheel and accidently tapped it too low, and it has given the 'over the handlebars' effect, causing the backwheel to come flying up behind me and it feels like the bike is going to go much higher than the object i'm trying to get up, seems like the bike is rolline Up the wall on the front wheel, but i always bail in fear of going over and hitting my face... is this the beginnings of the technique i need to sus??

Ry

>_<

i find that the timing is everything. jump up just as the wheel hits the wall and the bike will float up then just leen back push your arms out and your on the back wheel .as far as big 5ft walls goes you need to tap lower to get the lift because you would never be able to reach the top sounds easy as that eh . NOT lol

have fun my friend you will get it . I did .You have good days and bad days

hope this helps

Edited by evileye

Thanks all for replying and discussing, it has certainly helped. However I have noticed that alot of you are suggesting different timings with regards to pedal strokes; some of you are saying that you need to have finished your chocolate stroke just before the front wheel touches, others are saying that you need to hvae your fron wheel touch during your chocolate stroke and some are saying to use your non-chocolate foot to get your forn tyre to touch the wall

Which is it?

Michael

Sorry to re-post about 5 mins after one I have just done so, but someone asked me how high I can pedal hop to back wheel without front touching. The answer is a measley 35 inches. And I swear I will never know how to go higher than that short of going faster and using some insanely hard gear ratio.... (Y)

I'm right foot forward.

So, rolling up to the wall left foot forward/a bit up. Push down on your left foot (bad foot) to bring the front wheel up. As the front wheel hits the wall, you should be right foot forward. Someone good once told me that you should do a bit of a kick with your right foot as the front wheel touches. But that's the basics really.

I'm rubbish though (Y) My biggest is about 38" or something, maybe less (with a touch). About 33" or something without.

i use the pedal stroke to get the front up , then hit the front wheel. so i guess you hit it just after the pedal stroke. you pull up with your good foot foward. doing it like this has seen me up just over 4ft ! but the hardest part is geting enough speed to keep you going foward once you are on the object and to stop yourself having to jump off backwards. without enough speed, cliping the front wheel can make you land very upright on backwheel, like point of falling off the back.

If you are good at pulling up manuals and accurate with the height of your font wheel, its probally better to get some speed and without doing a pedal stroke, manual at the top edge, and obviously you still have to lift the bike off the floor like with the kick hop, but if you get it right this way, the bike floats up there like its filled with helium!

Ry

(Y)

Yeah, I remember seeing Akrigg doing manual to front touch hops up some high stuff at one of the Bike Shows. But I think I'll stick with the basics for now. BY THE WAY, I managed to do them today so thanks all for the help! I found that using my bad foot to bring the front wheel up so that my good foot is forward at the point of the front wheel touching works for me. Now it's time to try that 5 foot wall that's been making fun of me these last few years.....(I wish (Y) )