My Latest Creation >the Bike-boat !

IOLO

ok in the last 6 months i have been workign on designing this project and finally now i have built it !!!!!!!!wooooo yeah baby!

this machine is intended as a Human Powered Vehicle for use on roads, tracks, lakes and rivers!!!! its kind of based around recumbent bikes and my tricycle and errm a pedalo !! lol

it features a full brazed steel frame, with 1" headset and 175mm cranks.

the seat is made from waterproof material joined to the frame, it has a long rear differential axle which by pedaling powers the wheels and the paddle!

the floatation device on the front is carved from a block of styro foam, the rear floatation is given by a hollow sealed cylinder( which is also the paddle )..

it has 2 chains and a shart drive system together with a 7 speed cassete and mech, using a 42 tooth chainring!

as the front wheel is submerged when in the water the solid front wheel is used as a rudder!

please remember i made the whole thing on my own,, and im quite pleased with it ;)

so there u go... here it is....

the bikeboat in all its glory !

gallery_614_864_115857.jpg

Me taking it for a spin down the road..

gallery_614_864_79468.jpg

Ali C giving it some style ! ---------------- poser!

gallery_614_864_4777.jpg

me getting the power down on a lake !

gallery_614_864_87092.jpg

me having mastered the art ! and now going out to chase the duckys!!

gallery_614_864_60573.jpg

give your comments ect here !!!

thanks

iolo .

Edited by IOLO

HAHAHAH! the last picture and the comment is too good. :P

I'm actaully really really impressed! how good would it be to just bomb it down a path and just straight into a lake, peoples reactions would be awesome. :P

great stuff. :-

thats brilliant, i wish when i did my engineering coursework they let me make something like that, i had the ption of a hole punch, embossing tool or an injection moulding die, so i did the moulding die, it actually worked quitewell, especially because we were using a glue gun :- :P

but yeh, very good.

thanks for all good feedback there,,

it actually cost me nothing to make, i got tubing from college and bike components from the dump !

it goes pretty fast on land,, (42 tooth chainring)

and in water its a fair slow cruise..

and yes i am probably having MK 2,, but i dont know when.

and yes i did get wet !

That is absolutely rad :P :- Congrats, I'd be extremely chuffed with myself If I had built anything that floats, never mind with a bike attached.

The only thing I'd change though, as someone said earlier, is to get a chain tensioner or something put on that big one that goes straight from the front chainring. I wouldn't like the idea of being in the middle of lake mindemere and the chain falling off to be honest.

Gotta love the pose from Ali by the way :P

Awesome stuff,

Tom

get a chain tensioner or something put on that big one that goes straight from the front chainring.

Awesome stuff,

Tom

its got one that worked great and the chain was real tight and good. untill i hit it and the jokey wheel fell out into the lake !!

HOLY POO. I'm loving it. I can't stop smiling at it, that is amazing mate. Looks very professional, maybe somehow you could hire the front end when your in the water so you don't get your feet wet, for the front wheel you could use one of those aerodynamic racing wheel things, that go round your wheel so that it turns faster.

I LOVE IT.

And i'm sure theres a market for that.

That's just plain fooking rad. I have to admire the time you must have put into making that, and like it says above, there must be a market for that, I would buy one! Imagine the babes you could pick up in that!

:P just too cool....