Are You 26" Riders Shift Gears When Trialing?

spider

You have a 24t front chainring? Going to a smaller gear at the rear would make gaps harder as the pedals would need more leg power to move, however if your bike is light it would be an advantage as more power equals bigger gaps. Having a harder gear would put more pressure through your chain/hub etc though, so that could be a problem. I run 22/20, and for most people this may be too easy but for me it feels perfect. Its personal opinion, try and have a go on a bike with a harder ratio, and if you like it, try it then find out if it benefits your riding.

Hello everyone I run a 22tooth on the front and a 19 on the back "nice and light" (gear that is) (Y) . I think that if your bike has a different wheel base it would make a difference to how you have your gear set up. Even the lenth of the crank arms make a big difference i have 170 with my leeson wheel base which is 1040.

Rant over. :)

Gaz (Y)"

i run 22:17 and for me thats perfect, i also have 175 cranks so i get that little more torque.

at the end of the day its just personnal preferance, if you dont like the new setup, go back to the other one.

22:18 at the moment with 22:17 for big rolly polly gaps

but i used to be 22:19 - but the spider on my cassette broke so i was forced into dropping down - gives abit more oompffff pedalling into stuff

Used to go 20-16

now on 22-17.

But the harder the gear, the more likely you'll be ejected off your bike rather than pulling the move...

Beware that for the same number of teeth difference, 20/16 is not the same as 22/18 for example. 20/16 is harder.

The ratio is not the same, take computer.