Using A Disc On The Rear

<scruff>

i was just looking at some pictures that 'hardcorebiking' posted up (good by the way) and looking at the pictures i saw he was running a disc on the rear. now i'm not saying that there rubbish to use as a rear brake for trials but i don't think i could trust a disc :( , ok i'm 10 stone and when shifting my weight around (e.g - doing a gap) thats quite a lot of force. my point being is that your putting your trust in a thin disc that could just snap, as your backwheeling a rail and then you would flip right out or as you land a gap etc. what do you think about using discs as rear brakes for trials?

not sure i could use them :)

hope you see what i'm getting at.

scruff :)

I ran a disc on the back of my mods for a couple of years. It was great at comps, when everyone else was moaning about their maggies not working, mine stayed perfect. However when it came to big street stuff, I never really trusted it. With a rim brake you can grind the rim or add tar to make the brake work better, with a disc if it doesn't work, it doesn't work!

I also had the frame issue when using alloy frames...cracked about 3 Echo EM2's by using a rear disc :">

I'm now happily using a maggy on the back of both my trials bikes and find them very responsive and reliable. Doubt I'll ever go back to a rear disc.

Dave

its not that there isnt enough lock, which there is, you have to have it set up properly, its just that the frame will mostly likely give before anything, and as for everyone saying, Go Maggie! :) i do not trust them, ive ridden about 10+ bikes with them, and they all didnt compare to my V brakes, i would love to go rear disc if there was a frame that suits me, but there isnt, so rear V is the way to be! (Y) :-" (Y) ;)

Definately not a Moni mini, dont have the right lock.

An Avid would work, or a Hope Trials .

I still run a maggie, for the nice feel and the noise... its ace to hear that the brake is OK.

yeah, i know what you mean, when ur gapping and you hear your brake go 'honk' you know its gunna hold :)

Will (Y)

Despite what people say, i think that rear discs work well. From all the bikes ive had a go on numerous times that had a rear disc, they lock very well and are very good for manuals. The only problem is the disc tab ripping off, but if your smooth then you should be ok (Y)

The only problem is the disc tab ripping off, but if your smooth then you should be ok (Y)

Unfortunately it's not a case of being smooth though. I found one of the worst things for my frame was hopping/booning up a sloped rock while using the brake, which means the brake is effectively trying to rip itself off the frame with smoothness not even a factor.

One major plus of running rear discs is that it makes you seem a much smoother rider, simply due to the absence of braking noise. However I stand by my judgement that for comps discs rule, anything else (particularly big gaps and the like where confidence is a must) forget it!

Dave

how about the old enduro4, bob from llandudno had one and it was awesome! bloomin brilliant ;)

but then the disk tabs fell off (Y)

if only someone would bringout a frame that had thick dropouts/disk tabs :)

actually, saying that, the new monty mod frames look like they have a good disk tab design, nice n beefy (Y)

ta

Will

if only someone would bringout a frame that had thick dropouts/disk tabs  (Y)

actually, saying that, the new monty mod frames look like they have a good disk tab design, nice n beefy :)

Sorry to keep contradicting people but again I have to disagree! All my frames cracked at welds, not through the tabs themselves. This indicates that thicker mounts would not solve the problem. The only (alloy) frame which didn't crack was my old Megamo Equip Pro which had the neat stress transfer brace in the rear triangle which seemed to work very well. In fact that frame cracked on the driveside!!

As for the monty I thought it was a bit of a joke when it came out-

Monty%2005%20-%20221%20TI.jpg

It looks rather poorly designed at distributing stress. Cesar's the only person I've seen who's brave enough to use it, and I expect he gets a new frame at least once a month!

Just my opinions!

Dave

Edited by monkeyseemonkeydo