Car Trouble (again)

fairy elephants

Right, the main problem at the moment with my car is that my engine is cutting out when the rev's drop when i stop at junctions etc...

I have checked my spark plugs, and they are all giving good sparks, the oil level is fine, i have petrol etc...

It could be that, I fitted a "performance" air filter and an "induction kit". My theory is therefore that as I have now got alot more air going into the system, as I am slowing down there is too much air for the amount of rev's meaning that there is not enough fuel going into the engine.

Does this make sense? Have I just answered my own question?

If this is the case, is there a way of adjusting my carb so that it allows more fuel into the engine, other than increasing the idol speed... Or possibly adjusting the idol speed might be what I want to adjust??

My car is a Renault 5 campus 1.1L the only thing that isn't standard is the air filter and induction kit.

Cheers for and help <_<

Alex.

If you've kept the original components you just remove the fancy filters that you suspect are causing the problem and see if it still does it?

I will be doing this tonight when I go out...

But the car run's so much smoother, accelerates better, and just generall drives better with the "fancy bits" on, that I would like to keep them... Any idea's?

I don't know anything about carbs except for mini ones, but i'll try and help anyway.

First off, do you have a rev-counter? If so, what rpm does it read at idle?

Basically you're right when you say that you're running too lean (not enough petrol in the mixture) due to the fancy air filter and induction kit. To rectify this on a mini you would get a new carb needle (which lets more fuel through) but i don't know enough about your engine to tell you what to do about it.

Might be best to phone your local renault garage and see what they say.

If you don't fancy getting the garage to do it then go to Halfords and pick up the haynes manula for your car. It will explain how to set the idle speed and the fuel air mix which will allow you to tune the carb to allow more fuel in.

Report back... <_<"

I don't know anything about carbs except for mini ones, but i'll try and help anyway.

First off, do you have a rev-counter? If so, what rpm does it read at idle?

Basically you're right when you say that you're running too lean (not enough petrol in the mixture) due to the fancy air filter and induction kit. To rectify this on a mini you would get a new carb needle (which lets more fuel through) but i don't know enough about your engine to tell you what to do about it.

Might be best to phone your local renault garage and see what they say.

If you don't fancy getting the garage to do it then go to Halfords and pick up the haynes manula for your car. It will explain how to set the idle speed and the fuel air mix which will allow you to tune the carb to allow more fuel in.

Report back...  :)"

Whats a Rev counter?? :P" :-

I have got the haynes manual, although i have not had a proper look through it yet...

My dad said somthing about re-jetting the carb? would this be what you are talking about with the new needle? sounds like it could be.

I would have thought all carb's run on the same principle...

Cheers for that <_< :P

Dont play around with the cable whatever you do, they are set for a reason.

What Carb have you got, and what Air filter and other fancy crap have you fitted.

9 times out of 10 the idle speed will need to be increased slighty when using performance filters because of the change in the air/fuel ratio.

Also, did you buy the filter 2nd hand, and is it clean?

Stalling with carbs is usually associated with either the setup, or dirt/blockage in one of the jets.

You may have a slighty blocked idle jet.

Go to a car shop, and buy a can of Carbourettor cleaner.

Remove the air filter, and start the car.

You may need a friend for this bit, if you cant rev the car from under the bonnet.

Spray some cleaner in the top of the carb, at the same time rev the car to stop it stalling.

Do this a few times to flush the carb through.

Give the car a good hard rev(dont go nuts) to clear all the crap out of the cylinders.

Replace the airfilter, and test.

Just a little question here...

Is it fine to spray a bit of wd40 around the carb to keep it all swish after cleaning my engine bay down. I've been having lots of fun with degreaser and a pressure washer and sprayed all the usual contacts etc with wd40 after to keep it all dandy and did the same with the carb, but now someone mentioned specific carb cleaner I'm just checking to see if wd40's fine as well. By the way the car is a non runner right now so don't say, "just go and start it you'll soon find out".

Thanks

James

Yeah, although i cleaned my carb with white spirit and its fine.

Haynes reccomends that you use clean petrol to clean carbs (makes sense :P)

Basically your best bet is to have flick through the Haynes and find out how to set your idle speed. Once that's correct you'll know if you need to adjust the mixture or not. :)

Right, I have been out tonight, and before i left, i up'ed the idle speed, got to a friends, and then adjusted the mixture. after this it seemed to run ok.

I then drove a fair few miles, before stopping to re-adjust the mixture to make sure i was not burning too much fuel... then it all went to pot. the engine wouldn't stay running, even with the choke (yes, i have a manual choke) on, i really had to keep the rev's up to get home. but then once i neared my house, things all seemed to work again.

Whilst dropping off one of my friends, i then over heated, due to my radiator fan not working. So i have just been towed home... fun fun... :)

I'll try the carb cleaner tomorow :P

along with having another play with the mixture and idle speed. :bunny:

Thanks for all the help.

If its only just started to overheat, then you are running it too weak.

you need to get it on a gas analyser, to correctly adjust the mixture.

Theres no point messing around with it randomly, you need it set up properly.

or your just pissing in the wind. Get it set up right, then go from there.

i aint read most of it sowwy!

it could possibly be, the fuel pump, sparkie plugs, distributor, starter motor?, air filter (mentioned)

take it to a garage, flash some cash and get them to sort it! :)

i aint read most of it sowwy!

it could possibly be, the fuel pump, sparkie plugs, distributor, starter motor?, air filter (mentioned)

take it to a garage, flash some cash and get them to sort it! :)

Taking it to a garge is one thing i will not do!

I don't see the point in giving them rediculous amounts of money to read some instructions out of a haynes manual and do nothing more than I can do myself. The only advantage is that they have obviously had more experience meaning they have got more idea's of what the problem would be... hense starting this topic, and talking to a few other people. :deej:

Lee, what exactly is a gas annalyser? It sounds like an expensive piece of equipment when surely it can be done using tryal and error? afterall, it's only 1 screw i have to turn. :bunny:"

Cheers for all the help guys :P

what exactly is a gas annalyser?

it used to analyse (sp?) the exhaust gases.

All modern Vehicles on the road have to pass strict test with these to have an MOT.

For MOT on a petrol/LPG vehicle you need to have correct lamda and HC values.

For diesels your vehicle will be 'smoke tested' which analyses the about of carbon being emitted.

have you ever run out of petrol? because all the crap thats at the bottom of your tank get put through the engine and then it cuts out at such things as junctions etc.

Yeah, a friend of mines Jeep was cutting out all the time at junctions etc.

After lots of hastle it turned out he had a huge ball of sellotape in the fuel tank (Y) :) To this day he has no idea how it got in there ;) :-

it could possibly be, the fuel pump, sparkie plugs, distributor, starter motor?, air filter

you have no idea what your talking about.

Why even bother?

As previously mentioned, and Exhaust Gas Analyser is a measunring device that detect all the different substances in the Exhaust gas, and shows you on a scrren their values.

There is no way in hell that you will be able to properly set your carb up without one.

And if you start playing with the mixture screw at home, youll only mess things up.

There is a method of ROUGHLY seting up the mixture, by the sound of the engine, but the only people who can do it right have had about 40 yrs experience in the trade.

I know how you feel about letting someone take your money and work on your car, but this is something you need a garage for.

Have you ogt a mate in the trade, who could set it up for you one lunch time?

Or maybe go to a private garage, and ask them to do it quick, they should hopefuly do it cheap.