6 Working Gears? Outdated?

Al_Fel

its not fair or unfair to anyone really unless someone complains about the weight of a shifter or 4-5 cogs which would be like 200g!!!!max. hahahaha.

its going to be something silly but i will forward my attention of the 6 gear rule further if people want?

Waynio.................

Yeah, but to the rider who's complaining about people having singlespeed and thus a lighter set-up - he's got gears, so he's got a mechanical advantage anyway? 'cos he'd be theoretically able to set himself up better?

Anyhoo, I'm guessing it's a throwback to when sections used to be more rolling orientated and less technical. The top level, properly elite UCI/BIU sections now are pretty insane, whereas before they'd have been more rolling (i.e. bank orientated, similar to the mototrials competitions they were replicating), so gears would've meant completing the section in a shorter time maybe, 'cos you got change into a harder gear and tank along?

Plus the section loops might've been longer, requiring more riding from point a -> b?

I agree that the 6 gear rule is out of date with the rest of trials. Only way it is going to be changed though is if people actually question whoever makes the rules and offer a petition to get it changed. If they say no then maybe at a world round try to get a lot of top riders to simply turn up with 1 gear and when they say you need 6 just so oh well guess I can't enter then. :lol:

The BIU rules are made by the BIU Head Office, Japan, through a Jury of delegates from several different countries (including the UK).

In the UK we use the BIU rules, with some adaptations (such as we have abolished the "shoe rule" in the UK). BikeTrial UK can change whatever rules they want to for British Championships - just as clubs can change whatever rules they want to at club level.

Two years ago (when Section 7 site was up and running properly) there was this exact same debate about the six gear rule.

At that time I invited all those complaining to send a letter to the BikeTrial UK committee asking for the rule to be reviewed. NOT ONE LETTER WAS SENT !!!

If you want the rule to be reviewed at British level --- DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT !!! Every letter received by the committee is taken seriously.

(On the other hand ... that rule is not actually enforceable at British because we never do "scrutineering" for insurance reasons - the only way you'd get caught out was if someone put in an official complaint about you during the event - but I didn't say that!!!)

Barbara

(On the other hand ... that rule is not actually enforceable at British because we never do "scrutineering" for insurance reasons - the only way you'd get caught out was if someone put in an official complaint about you during the event - but I didn't say that!!!)

There are certain riders in the comp scene who I can well imagine would complain if they lost and the winner had 1 gear...

Fair points otherwise though. What's the sorta process Biketrial UK would go through if they got a letter about it though? Would it go to some kinda jury or something to see if it was valid or not?

There are certain riders in the comp scene who I can well imagine would complain if they lost and the winner had 1 gear...

Fair points otherwise though.  What's the sorta process Biketrial UK would go through if they got a letter about it though?  Would it go to some kinda jury or something to see if it was valid or not?

Any correspondence is read at the next meeting.

Any change in the rules would have to be reviewed/agreed at the AGM which will probably take place in December/January.

The implications of changing any rule would be discussed then voted on by those attending the meeting, taking into account any written letters.

im up for that.

cheers for the advice barbara. how would it be with me being on the tyke trial and the BikeTrial UK comittee will i not get a vote???? as then i will have to persuaede other people to write letters instead of myself???? just curious.

regards Waynio......................

i think if we all get together on this one we will be able to stop the 6 gear rule in the british champs BUT as for the world rounds and such forth it would be something that would have to still stand...............i think thats how i received it any way???

im up for that.

cheers for the advice barbara. how would it be with me being on the tyke trial and the BikeTrial UK comittee will i not get a vote???? as then i will have to persuaede other people to write letters instead of myself???? just curious.

regards Waynio......................

i think if we all get together on this one we will be able to stop the 6 gear rule in the british champs BUT as for the world rounds and such forth it would be something that would have to still stand...............i think thats how i received it any way???

Everyone at the meeting (AGM) would get a vote.

kool,

i didnt know weather with me being on the side of abandoning the 6speed rule weather i owuld get a vote. classy. i will get people to put something forward.

in other words people that are questioning the 6speed rule could you please write letters? you can either send them to me at the shop or home addy. or if babara would be kind enough to give the best address where they should be going that would be great. Regards

Waynio..................

kool,

i didnt know weather with me being on the side of abandoning the 6speed rule weather i owuld get a vote. classy. i will get people to put something forward.

in other words people that are questioning the 6speed rule could you please write letters? you can either send them to me at the shop or home addy. or if babara would be kind enough to give the best address where they should be going that would be great. Regards

Waynio..................

They would need to be a proper letter addressed to the committee at BikeTrial UK - saying why you think the rule should be changed. You can email to:- info@biketrialuk.co.uk or the Secretary's address on www.biketrialuk.co.uk

maybe you could get a petition started at the comps and get people to sign it. and then send it along with a letter to the BIU HQ in japan. im sure alota people would sign it and it would show the commitee that people feel strongly about it and consider making a change to the rule

maybe you could get a petition started at the comps and get people to sign it. and then send it along with a letter to the BIU HQ in japan. im sure alota people would sign it and it would show the commitee that people feel strongly about it and consider making a change to the rule

I think it'd be better to sort out the rule change for definite in the UK first. If the whole country's rules ahve ACTUALLY been changed, as opposed to just a few riders at a comp saying they think it should be, that'd be more grounds for a rule change at a global level.

Has anyone asked the people on OTN about this sorta stuff? Or do they not follow the BIU/UCI rules (thought they had different rules, with negatives lines and so on?)?

im running 8 speed rear mech and that does me fine and i wouldnt want to switch to single speed because i use 2 diffrent gears for most moves and i do cycle around on it occasionally so i would have 18t chain ring and 11t on the rear which is ok for a ride round.

even though i dont do comps, i think that you should be allowed to use single speed aswell as gears, theres a fair few people who ride single speed 26".

it would be nice to see a trials specific part which would replace the rear mech and then i think i would go for single speed, but untill then gears will do fine

Edited by hardcore_raver

thing is wayne, many people dont ride the british champs and wont make the effort to write to the committee to help make this change, basically because this doesnt effect them. I havent entered a comp, but this year i do hope i will, and therefore am interested in this outcome on whether 6 gears minimum is nessacary, however i also know that nobody checks on the lesser comps (ymsa/tyke).

I will probably go send an email stressing that other than weight i feel having 6 gears or 1 gear makes no difference, it doesnt nessacarily mean either has more stress placed or more difficulty, both are in the same boat, most trials riders have a gear that suits them eg mine is 20:18, that they mainly do trials on. So i believe if a rider is complaining they were at a disadvantage because they had more gears it is just pure petty-ness.

anyhow ill be happy to forward an email to biketrial to see what might help de-restrict this rule.

ben