Crc

Jonny Jones

Always kind of imagined the whole picking process hehe!  Must be wicked working there, bike parts everywhere!  I suppose Amazon, Dabs etc works like that too.

J.

Amazons warehouses are mahoosive, totaly huuuge! Pilots use them as a reference point for finding cranfield airfield lol

Pete

Why?

We need to step outside the trials world to find the answer to this, as in here the arguments are skewed by the unusual level of mechanical ability.

This is just part of supporting local sustainability, and promoting local cycle advocacy. Eventually, who is going to be left to fit that bit that you have bought cheaply online ... A decent lbs will support and co-ordinate riders on local cycling issues too, stuff like access, bike lanes, hosting rides, stuff like that.

More pragmatically, whilst I, and I dare say you and a fair number of other people who ride, can fix their bikes as well as, if not better than their lbs, and therefore don't need to worry about if there is a lbs or not - there are what: ten, twenty, a hundred times as many people who can't.

I was out riding the other day and a lad had come down heavy on his rim, and on top of all the other dings that rim had, this last one had pushed it too far to be ridable.

Now, we were only maybe a couple of miles out, so no big deal, but this kid had no idea of how to straighten a wheel and really wasn't looking forward to dragging his bike home.

So what does he do ? - sure, he can learn, or get his mates to help him (if they can) - but not there and then, and big mail order stores aren't going to help him out whilst he does learn ... his lbs would pull out the worst of the damage and only charge him a few quid to do it ... and yeah, I fixed it for him, but showed him what I was doing, so he could start to learn about it.

Lots of people aren't going to have the tools either - how many people have a headset press - ok you don't need one every day, but when you need one, and the block of wood trick just isn't worth it - you need one.

I'm not saying that I never do it btw, just something to think about ...

On the other hand if your lbs is rubbish, then they don't deserve the custom.

Start your own riders collective, and help each other out.

That's why ...

:D

i agree monkey_pork.

LBS...............would be funny to see people struggling without a LBS.

plus mail order saves you £3/4 wow, but that £3/4 is nowt compared to getting good friendly service/advice, i cant stress how much people need to talk to people about buying the right parts/bike.

the funny thing is its usually all the fags who have problems that dont have the clue what there doing and think that mail order is the best thing under the sun, personally i would only use mail order IF i couldnt find the part i wanted at a local shop. and i would still get it as local as possible.

people will disagree alot and i dont care, i just think like Tom thinks its a big warehouse and the likely hood of someone picking an order incorrect now is probably 3/4 times as much as it was before.

Madison UK importer of many things are going to a new picking system and orders have been tits up for the last few months, they reckon once in place there will be a 1 in a 1,000,000 chance of an order being incorrect (thats only 1 part being wrong!!!) that to me is good for the trade, for some big mail order companies this could cause more problems. we have started doing a bit more mail order but its mainly on bikes that people cant get local. onza's etc etc.

Waynio......................

i dont advise mail order but if a friend wants something and i know that he is able to repair of fix it himself then thats good. if they were in adequate of fitting it then its not worth sending it to them for them to try and batter it in. look at how many people come into AVC and use the workshop?????? we let them as we know they know how to use tools and are trustworthy anyone who isnt has to have one of us do it for them. i bet the service that we offer if you ask the majority of people who have been into the shop will say that it was good or great. other shops dont give this service as they think they dont need to. reputation is at stake and to be honest "wow" CRC are the best mail order???? now thats poor they dont have mechanics, just little jimmy picking orders all day. id rather be proud of working in a closely binded team who get along and get jobs done and offer good freindly service and advise.

I don't agree with that one bit, All my lbs are pretty shite round here, All my parts come off the hoobynet as they are way way cheaper than locally. If i have a problem with something then my local halfords has always sorted it out free of charge. I don't care what anyone has to say about halfords, mine rocks! Oh and CRC have never messed up any of my orders, Bikedock on the otherhand....

Pete

Edited by tipsy Jock

My local shops here (Manchester) are pretty wank. Even if they can get stuff in, it takes a few days, and it's expensive. I have no alliegance to them, so I use CRC for everything I can. I don't need to go anywhere, and it's cheap. Which reminds me, I need to go buy a hub :-

I think its amazing how threads get transformed from one thing to another. Nothing against what's been said at all :'(

My LBS is pretty expensive, but as people have mentioned, they do offer an amazingly friendly service, and they are stockests of Norco :-

So its equal.. sort of, you can support your LBS if you need something out on a ride and indeed if you find going to your LBS more appealing than buying online. But if you do need that special something that you can get online for a good price, then online shops are good for that sort of thing.

I find CRC so handy, cos, like I said, my LBS is expensive and I can get stuff delievered next day rather than wait perhaps upto a week for stuff to be ordered from Madison and other such suppliers.

So.. long live LBS's and online retailers ^_^

J.

My local shops here (Manchester) are pretty wank.  Even if they can get stuff in, it takes a few days, and it's expensive.  I have no alliegance to them, so I use CRC for everything I can.  I don't need to go anywhere, and it's cheap.  Which reminds me, I need to go buy a hub  (Y)

Yep, Harry Hall is ££££££££££ and pants.

Phil.

I don't think iIwould ever miss my LBS's, they are all shite. Was glad when one closed down to be honest. Would rather order stuff off the net for a cheaper price and get to you ontime, whereas in bikeshops by me they charge you the earth for stuff and take about 3 weeks to get the stuff in.

I feel sorry for the people that have to pick the orders. I work in a warehouse and can never find stuff and the place I work at is probably as big as a quater of that, if that!!!

It's cool to see them expanding, but I'm with the "It's only three pictures of a big empty barn" crew.

An increase in CRC's efficiency will be amazing to see though, I already rated them number one for delivery times.

I presume the picking will be the same as Argos too (I guess I'm not the only one who's worked there then!), but not sure exactly how, I mean, the order volume can't be nearly as high, so how many staff do you think they employ? To afford that warehouse (bigger than our Argod store by far) they must be pretty large, but I can't imagine them needing many staff, but at the same time I can't see one guy picking from that huge building!

I'd say that CRC's order volume would be quite a bit bigger than Argos. Considering that CRC's customers are spread throughout europe and the rest of the world, where as Argos stores generally sell to local customers.