King Hubs

Chris@Onza rider

well here is my dilemma, I cannot decide between a king or a profile. I have not heard many bad things about either of these hubs. So i would like to know your exsperiances of these hubs and which you reckon i would be better off getting.The thing that put me off of the king was the fact that you had to send it abroad to get it serviced which IMO is pretty shit. money is not a problem but I would rather go for the better performing one.

So i would like to know your exsperiances with these hubs please and which one you would recommend.

Thanks peeps.

If you go for a Profile you'll be happy, your not missing too much really especially for the price as Mike says. I've ridden and king on a stock and have a profile on my mod and never had any troubles, love the thing.

Get Profile, Get Smiling! :(

if youve got money, king!!!! if not so much, profile, there isnt much difference and tey are both just as reliable!

I would say King, never used one but never heard a bad thing about them (Y)

but have you ever heard a bad thing about a profile!

joE!

if theres one thing iv learned in the world of trials in the past 5 years its always buy the most expensive parts first rather than the cheaper now but then spending ever more on the more expensive ones after (Y)

Ive heard about them cracking in half, atleast if you get the CK you will have the 10 year warranty. (Y)

Can i just clear this up: Doesn't the profile have 48 eng. and the King 72 eng. but when using the profile does it feel like you have 72 engagements?

If not then the King's got more engagements = more confidence!

Kings have 108 effective engagements due to gear ratio, where as a profile has 72 effective.

As long as you bed in the King properly, then im willing to bet its better than a profile.

yer true, I've had both a profile and 4 king hubs. My experience is that profiles never ever ever skip but have less engagements. The King is the better hub but you gotta set it up properly otherwise you'll end up on you face! Once the King is up and running properly it doesn't skip!

My friend had a profile and the bearing died, the driver screwed up I think and the lockring went funny or something. Ill get him to tell me later so I can post exactly what happened, it only lasted about a year max I think.

I own a King and havent had any problems so far, but you cant really notice a difference in the pickup speeds or anything much when riding trials, when going down a hill the larger king bearings make a difference.

so long as it only skips one point, if a king skips, you're not really going to notice it (except for the clunk sound)

So in my opinion so long as money is no problem, get the king biatch (Y) Ive had the profile and it only skips in the first month or so. Clean it out and it works fine like.

Ive heard about them cracking in half, atleast if you get the CK you will have the 10 year warranty.  (Y)

Can i just clear this up: Doesn't the profile have 48 eng. and the King 72 eng. but when using the profile does it feel like you have 72 engagements?

Does Trials not void this warrenty? Sure i've heard that from somewhere

Not really, its more to do with less wasted energy in your kick resulting in further gaps and a more responsive/instantaneous feel.

so long as it only skips one point, if a king skips, you're not really going to notice it (except for the clunk sound)

Not really, I was doing some gaps between benches the other day and the last one was pretty big so i kicked hard and the b*****d skipped - needless to say i went ass over... So even though it's a tiny gap between engagements it can still dump you over the bars.

Does Trials not void this warrenty? Sure i've heard that from somewhere

No it doesn't, that's one of the reasons CK components are so popular (Y)

I believe you can get cheap Kings through a UK distributer who's on here.

Might want to look into that. Alternatively, get a profile.

I know kings have more engagement points, so if you've got the money, I'd get a king if i were you (Y)

Edited by mod661

I was pleased with my profile for the first 6 months or so, didn't skip once, but in the last month the bearings have exploded and knackered the whole driver/pawl system. Now I haven't got a clue what has happened to it, but the engagement system works, yet when I pedal the hub moves but without turning the wheel.

If anyone knows what this is please let me know, I think something inside the actualy hub must be loose or broken.

Personally looking back if I'd known this was coming, I'd buy a King from here

Ebay King thing

Edit, good call mod661, thats much better.

Edited by mod_rider

Personally looking back if I'd known this was coming, I'd buy a King from here

Ebay King thing

Edit, good call mod661, thats much better.

I think that the link to Aspire VeloTech is broken. Or it's not working for me.

There's a UK importer who buys them from there, at USA cheap prices, adds on tax and a tiny profit, then sells them to nice trials riders like us.

Contact me if you want any more info dude (Y)

Kings have 108 effective engagements due to gear ratio, where as a profile has 72 effective.

As long as you bed in the King properly, then im willing to bet its better than a profile.

that depends on what gear you run (Y)

Not really, its more to do with less wasted energy in your kick resulting in further gaps and a more responsive/instantaneous feel.

Not really, I was doing some gaps between benches the other day and the last one was pretty big so i kicked hard and the b*****d skipped - needless to say i went ass over... So even though it's a tiny gap between engagements it can still dump you over the bars.

No it doesn't, that's one of the reasons CK components are so popular (Y)

you should learn to preload the pedals befoe buying any of these hubs!!!

chrisking products are NOT coverd for trials in the warranty (Y)

Edited by dave33

Not really, when Kings skip properly, they can spin maybe 180 degrees around - Basically like having a snapped chain almost. Never happened to me (*touch wood* (Y) ), but I've seen it and it's not pretty. I'm not sure if it's down to bad maintenance or bad luck, but some people have lots of trouble. Mine has been perfect though, with very little maintenance. I wouldn't swap it for anything else (Y)

chrisking products are NOT coverd for trials in the warranty  (Y)

But they are like Hope and they're very helpful. They will try and get it sorted for you. However, that means sending it back to the USA, because the UK importers (Evolution A.K.A Bromley's I think) are a bit shit.

To be honest, I would forget about which has the most engagements (They're both pretty much the same ish) and go for whichever one is most reliable. Too close to call. I would say buy the Profile and save a bit of money, but it'll forever stare at you saying "A King would have been more P.I.M.P." :S