Yamaha Ty80/175

Ali C

I am desperate for a trials motorbike.

I have my eyes on either a ty80 or ty175, what are peoples thoughts on these? I know the 80 is meant for kids, but I still recken it would be good fun and good to learn the basics on.

I have seen a few on ebay, but I was wondering if there were some online shops that sell 2nd hand bikes? or if anyone on here has one for sale?

cheers

try go for like a 94ish gas gas 250 there rather cheap at around £500 and there alot more practical than twin shock, but if you want to go for the ty series either try get your hands on the 250pinky or yeah the 175.

As for shops buy trials and motocross news most big wh-smiths sell it theres alot of shop second hand lists in there and private for sale section.

They seem to be reliable bikes do the yamaha's but i've never ridden one so i cant be certain, i think colly is selling a gas gas weather or not he still has it i'm not sure but you could ask :)

I sold my sherco on ebay and everything went well, so i dont see why you couldn't buy a bike on ebay providing you dont pay up front (Y)

Need any more info about motor trials feel free to contact me Pepsicolasucks@hotmail.co.uk is my msn :P

Cheers.

Richie.

Edited by Richie

hey my dad owns a motorbike trials shop and we sell numerous models and from past experience id buy a 1996 beta or newer as in 1996 the trials market seemed to shoot up and the bikes improved a lot. also 1996 was the 1st year beta made the techno which was a new frame and engine etc. you can pick up 1996 betas for well under £1000 and a nearly new model of 1996 is only about £950 ish. id say go for 1996 or newer as the bikes improved the most from 1995 to 1996. hope this helps (Y)

I am desperate for a trials motorbike.

I have my eyes on either a ty80 or ty175, what are peoples thoughts on these? I know the 80 is meant for kids, but I still recken it would be good fun and good to learn the basics on.

I have seen a few on ebay, but I was wondering if there were some online shops that sell 2nd hand bikes? or if anyone on here has one for sale?

cheers

My friend has an 80cc crosser and it's by no means a kids bike :)

It's uber fast and really cool. I'm not sure what it is. Might be a Honda CR80 or something?

Small Wheel'd version neway. Cost him a lot though. It's only 2 years old and he spent £1400 on it.

Fast as f**k though (Y)

my friend had a 125 crosser and it scared the f**k outta me! sooooo fast and the power band was lethal.

I am after a trialsy rig, with a sump plate, there are a few places around here to take it.

Iolo found a moped in a lake and got that going, it was only 50cc but it was soooo fun! So if I got somthing with a sump plate and bigger wheels, imagian the fun to be had on that!

I have a ty-80 in my garage, still needs putting back together propley, but seriously i doubt it would pull an adult, I was 10 when i rode it and it struggled, a 125 version would be much better or even look at the older bigger bike like the Fantic (Y)

when I was at back cowm quarry, there was a guy and his son there, the guy had a go on the bike and it seemed to be pulling him no problem.

Iolos moped is only 50cc, and thats got plenty of power, was your ty80 running right?

My dad bought me and my bro a ty 175 pretty cheap from the local adds aroungd hallifax which aint to far off hebden right.

Think he picked it up for £300 and done it up a bit , i like it but it does seem very powerful and heavy, i know what you mean about mopeds though i had one before the yamaha and it was funny as f**k no need to worry about gears etc and was just use to the two brakes up front due to normal bikes.

Felt a lot more confident on the moped but wasnt as suited for dirt jumps as the ty lol.

Im gonna try and ride the yamaha more in the summer now as id love to learn to ride one proper.

I kinda had a n accident which involveed me the bike and a ditch and that oput me off it for a while due throttle sticking (Y) doh.

Im sure if you look in the right ads youll get hold of one reallay easy and cheap as your in motor trials heaven as thats where it all originated from didnt it.

Peace out :)"

I am watching a few on ebay, there do seem to be a lot of them around the west yorkshire area (Y)

I fancy having a clutch so I can get some power down, also gives me more confidence for when on the rear as I aint used to letting off the throttle.

Was yours a private deal or from a company? Halifax is really close to me.

My dad bought me and my bro a ty 175 pretty cheap from the local adds aroungd hallifax which aint to far off hebden right.

Think he picked it up for £300 and done it up a bit , i like it but it does seem very powerful and heavy, i know what you mean about mopeds though i had one before the yamaha and it was funny as f**k no need to worry about gears etc and was just use to the two brakes up front due to normal bikes.

Felt a lot more confident on the moped but wasnt as suited for dirt jumps as the ty lol.

Im gonna try and ride the yamaha more in the summer now as id love to learn to ride one proper.

I kinda had a n accident which involveed me the bike and a ditch and that oput me off it for a while due throttle sticking (Y) doh.

Im sure if you look in the right ads youll get hold of one reallay easy and cheap as your in motor trials heaven as thats where it all originated from didnt it.

Peace out (Y)"

That was the one thing i hated about riding moto trials lol, its fukk scary lol

Ali a Ty 175 would be a brillient bike to learn on they're pretty darn solid and spairs can be bought easily (Y)

You may also want to look at getting a Fantic 240 (actually roughly 175cc) this bike is the same age as the Ty but they are much lighter and more movable (Y)

But your deffinatly going down the right track with starting on a twinshock as it's just plain cheap fun!

matt

I reckon you'd soon want more than an 80cc. As a kid I had a 65cc Yamaha (TY50 bored out) and I soon wanted a bit more poke. The 80cc crossers go like shit of a shovel, but then they are tuned for speed. My neighbour's CR125 Honda is damn fast too.

As far as trials bikes go I would get at least a 175cc, but better would be a 250cc. Don't forget, in trials you're more interested in torque than speed.

PS Just saw the comment about the Fantic - they're really good, and you can often pick up twinshock Bultaco's quite cheap if you look around.

Also got an old bultaco in the garage but in pieces and i think when we get it built my dads going to use it, I've had the ty bored thats why it still in bits.definitely look for an older bike like the fantic or the bultacos instead of getting a ty80 because you would get fustrated on it (Y)

My friend has an 80cc crosser and it's by no means a kids bike :)

It's uber fast and really cool. I'm not sure what it is. Might be a Honda CR80 or something?

Small Wheel'd version neway. Cost him a lot though. It's only 2 years old and he spent £1400 on it.

Fast as f**k though (Y)

Yer it'll be the CR 80, rapid!!! But the small wheel version is very small for like a child but they still pull like the big wheel version lol :D

Crossers are ace (Y)

Edited by BI-KING

Yeah my dad got it throught the local ads and a pretty good deal really considering the few minor changes hell be doind should boost the price and the contriol of the bike.

I alwayts liked the idea of my own but dont know the first thing about them and would have liked to start on something smaller.

Btw may interest you that "The Munn" on here is selling a yamaha pw 50 may be pretty small but it seems a good price and would be fun (Y)"

got the bike today, doesnt quite look as in good a condition as the photos or description led me to believe, but for the price I cant complain.

There are two things that need doing to it, the kickstart doesnt return. He said the spring inside has gone, is this easily fixable?

It doesnt seem to select all gears, again how easy is this to fix myself?

one last question, does anyone know the correct measurments of petrol to oil?

ta

I think 20:1 is about right.

The Yamaha engine cases split horizontally don't they? So to get to the gears themselves and have a look would mean taking the engine apart, which isn't too difficult if you've got the tools/time, but is still a pain when you want to ride the bike! As for the kickstart return spring, I'm not sure where it is (I never took my TY50 apart).

You could try http://www.sammymiller.co.uk/ for parts.

i got my gas gas from a shop called DMS up at flokton.. if you know where that is ali..

they have new and used trialsbikes also quads, crosses.. its a decent shop

also theres a new shop just opend not sure where it is but its on the way to ikea going from huddeersfield haha but i saw it on the way to ikea once and they sell a few trials bikes ...i want another trials bike again.. so much fun!!

i sold it though to buy my koxx nearly 2 years ago.. it was a little 50 think it was called boy or something was air cooled the lot was smart but i got it just on the out brake of foot and mouth soo i then got back into bike trials

good luck in the search its funn!!!! (N) :P

Edited by crazy_gap girl