Hope Trial

Tony Harrison

I'm currently looking at buying a disk brake, and I'm considering the Hope Trial (Try-all?) brake. I've heard mixed opinions on the Hope Mini and Mono Mini, and my mate could never get his one (MM) to work properly.

So does anyone here use the new Hope brake, and if so what are your (honest) opinions about it?

All help/opinions much appreciated.

I do like my one, good hold and it does have loads of modulation too. But it can go a bit funny sometimes.

If you get one and set it up proper then it shouldn't give you to much trouble.

The avid mech probaly locks better though :shifty:

I have had 3 (160 front and back and a 180 front)

I thought all of them were crap, they didnt have any bite or any holding power, one leaked, I hit another on a rock and it un-did the hose.

however, I tried waynios 160 one and it was soooo powerful, waay better than my avid.

so when they work, they work well, but otherwise they are a pain

they are good, very spongy as said,

my mate has just bought one and the monkey who put it together didnt put the seals on the lever properly so it leaked everywhere and now needs a re bleed :shifty:

its a piss take after spending alot of money on a brake!

i did buy a 160 mono trial after having a 160 mono mini....utter shite!!!

but it didnt fit my forks as the piston bit was too large to squeeze into the disc mounting....(new bt forks)

thankfully i have swapped it for the 180....hope all goes well

i know some lads 180 mono m4 dont work too well, yet a while ago i had a bash on another mono m4 with red pads and it was awsome....

you cant get red pads for single pot mini's any more...damn ebc!

Best all-round front brake I've ever owned. To all those out there who arent fully happy with theirs, check pads are oiled up, get mounts faced and then get it bedded in again, I'm pretty confident you'll be impressed with the results!

Power is awesome, nice amount of bite without being silly and the modulation is simply second to none.

Ive tried 3 different 160 Hope Trials brakes. Each un was spongey, had modulation, but it lacked bite and hold.

Yes they were all bedded in. They were just crap.

Try-all hope brake? maybe ;)

Avid Mechanical is the best ive tried :shifty:

Front 180mm Hope mono trial is £140, and IMO the BEST front brake i have EVER tried, and most people who have used my brake agree, it has loads of power, and is very bitey, yet still sooooo controlable, i would deffinatly recomend one, but as dave said, get your mounts faced, as this will eliminate some of the sponge from the lever, and make it work better (Y)

Adam

Ive tried 3 different 160 Hope Trials brakes. Each un was spongey, had modulation, but it lacked bite and hold.

Yes they were all bedded in. They were just crap.

Try-all hope brake? maybe :)

Avid Mechanical is the best ive tried (Y)

the try-all hope brake is exactly the same as the standard hope mono trial? so how would this work differently, the only differnce is the colour of anodise used on the brakes?

to be honest they're the best brakes ive ever used.......... i first tried one around 2 years ago when it was in the design and development stages........absolutely mint if set up correctly.

ash

the try-all hope brake is exactly the same as the standard hope mono trial? so how would this work differently, the only differnce is the colour of anodise used on the brakes?

I'm pretty sure they do them with 190mm rotor at no extra cost for the same price as the 160mm, so they work with the Koxx Stock Forks, cheaper than buying a 180mm, that's if you buy the Try-All Disc from Bikedock. Though you then get lumbered with the Koxx Forks (Y)

Koxx forks that will probably snap....

Anyway, thanks for all the comments - the only thing that does bother me is getting a caliper/disk setup that won't fit the fork. The JB forks had a really strangely positioned disk mount, not sure about the Koxx ones. Would the 180 work on 'standard' mounts (like the Fatty/Echo/etc)?

Koxx forks that will probably snap....

dont state what you havent proved! iv run my koxx forx into the ground and they are still spot on. they are on my 1100 bike and are awesum, you can order the brakes from places and they will send you the correct set up if you state your fork set up. just dont be a wimp and buy a 180mm mono trial/Try all disc brake and set it up and dont piss about with it. too many people play with them. just put em on wipe/smear mud on them and just get oon with it!

i dropped one of my pads in oil the other day and i set the pad on fire to burn it off, my brake was pants for about 5/10minutes until i smeared more mud on it then it went back being awesum again.

if your forks are IS and on a 26" wheel bike get the caliper number 3 with the 180mm rotor.

if a mod bike get caliper number 5 with 160mm rotor.

if you own koxx forks order caliper number 5 with a 190mm rotor.

Waynio.................................

if you aint happy with koxx products dont buy them but most people who have or own them are happy as the strength and durability of them is awesum. i deffinatly wouldnt buy a frame on the market at the mo other than a levelboss as i know the riding i have been doing WOULD have deffinatly broken most other frames. if you cant get up it i will literally go through it!!!!

raub yes BUT if you transferred a trial disc brake onto IS forks you would need a new 160mm rotor. as the trial disc for koxx forks is a caliper number 5. i have one on the front of my koxx forks. caliper number 5 in most hope brakes equates to 160mm rotor (on the front this is) on the rear it equates to 140mm.

Waynio............................

Well my Mono Trial is the shizzzzzzz! :D

When I first got it, it was very very grabby but was rather spongey, infact it was uber spongey and I didn't really like the feeling of it but I just left it as it was, didn't really want to muck about with it just incase I fecked it up. But now I've had the brake for ages and now its 100 times better... it feels awesome and grips just the same if not better, its a fookin ace brake!!!!! :-

Go buy one... mines is 160mm rotor btw (Y) (Y)

Watson