Which Knee / Shin Pads?

MikeWarner

Hi there,

I use Dainese leg armour (dont know model sorry - from about 5 years ago!), and whilst it offers good protection usually,it does have a tendancy to slip down my leg or twist as Im pedalling. Maybe the newer models dont slip as much. In its favour though I literally fell off my bike onto my dmr v12 with almost my whole weight on my shin and I didnt feel it.

I would give it :) (Y) (Y) .5 out of 5 thumbs for street and trials.

~Gareth

I use lizard skin shin pads (no knee protection though) and they seem very very nice. They arent too hot or uncomfortable to put me off wearing them on every single ride, and quite frankly I now feel unsafe without them, having experienced so many situations where I have been thankful Ive been wearing them.

Dainese Elbow and Knee guard Pro for me, I use them for all types of riding really.

Youre better off with the type with stretchy net on the back and velcro adjusters too, whatever brand you get. Dainese also offer an ankle protector to match theirs. Or at least they used to. Very handy if you're practicing something new . :blink:

Freestyle knee protector.

1025__img.jpg
Edited by Torquemada

I got the TSG shinnies for christmas, and being honest I was really scepticaly about how well they'd work, but they're really good, they've saved my shins a lot and allowed me to ride again basically, as after I got involved in a fight with my pedal that required 14 stitches I didn't really want to climb onto them again without something substantial protecting me.

http://www.wadescycles.co.uk/shop/asp/prod...+AND+ANKLE+PADS

Kinda like those, minus the ankle guards, couldn't find any exactly like mine, but I think Winstanley's do 'em, I've just been to lazy to look.

Joe

EDIT: Yeah, they do http://shorl.com/hydahynomymo

Edited by Josephine

hey mate,

I use TSG shin pads and they work a treat!! Depending on whether you want knee pads built in or not the TSG's in my opinion are great shin pads.

They do not slip around your legs atall but at the same time they give you plenty of movement so they wont affect your riding one bit!!

Cheers

Spud :S :D

Thanks guys.  I'm liking the 661s most, but it seems the whole of the UK is out of stock of them.  Anyone know who the importers are?

Hi Mike,

I was looking for the 661 4x4 guards too. There didn't seem to be stock in many places. I was surprised to find them in the cycle section of a local branch of Halfords! The price was pretty much the going rate too. :-

Unfortunately for me, the largest size wont actually fit around my leg, so I had to return them, which was much more straightforward having bought them locally.

What I would like to find now is something pretty much identical to the 4x4 shin and knee but in a big enough size (couple of inches extra diameter or so) to fit around my legs. Don't take this as critisism of the 4x4's though, they seemed to be spot on for what I wanted, except they were just not large enough to fit my abnormally large legs.

Anyways, if you haven't already tried, maybe your local Halfords will have them in stock. :D

Moray

Just buy some cheapo shin pads from argos or your local sports shop, do the job and give you ancle protection :D and under a tenner all you need :( only one thing they look a bit :- in shorts.

I would rather be spending money on my bike rather than shin pads, in my opinion you dont even need them i bought some and never use them now because they make you too hot.